How Many Years of Slavery in Exchange for a Cure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnxiousJon, Feb 6, 2016.

?

How many years would you be slave for?

1. 1 Year

2. 2 Years

3. 5 Years

4. 10 Years

5. 15 Years

6. 20 Years

7. Life

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      How many years of slavery(literally) would you sign up for in exchange for being instantly and permanently cured of all hearing conditions?
      Lets say the quality of life is like someone living in low-income studio apartment, and you have to work full time with no school, and you don't get to keep any of the money from that job, and are not allowed to take any other job at the same time wherein you make money.
      You have no car, and so must use public transportation.
      Your small amount of cheap-quality food is free, but you are also given good vitamin supplements to keep you in decent health. You are allowed to keep 10 books(no exchanging), a fountain pen(with a variety of colors of ink), and paper to write on; no electronics allowed.
      People can come visit you, and you can only go outside freely for an hour. Other than that you have no life out there in the world, except at your job and through mail correspondence.
      Please list in your responses the 10 books you would keep.
      This is my attempt at a rough, modern equivilant, of a lifestyle under a good master in the ancient world, to whom you sold yourself into slavery to pay a debt, and must always be around the house to watch the place and do something if needed.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assuming that my insurance wouldn't pay for my surgery I would chose life. My books would be:
      1.ESV translation of the Bible
      2.Reader's Greek New Testment
      3.Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion
      4.Basics of Biblical Greek
      5.Biblical Greek Beyond the Basics
      6.Reader's Hebrew Old Testament.
      7.Basics of Biblical Hebrew
      8.[a more advanced hebrew grammar]
      9.[Greek lexicon]
      10.[Hebrew lexicon]

3. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

1. East of Eden 2. Edgar Allan Poe Complete Tales and Poems 3. LOTR Trilogy 4. Wild 5. Nick Cave Complete Lyrics 1978- 2013 6. Bible KJV 7. The Little Prince 8. Walden Pond 9. Trainspotting 10. The Book of Negroes

4. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

I am voting with the assumption I would never be afflicted with this condition again and all the extra pain it brought in its entirety. Also, my life already feels enslaved and is not much different than conditions listed above...lol..but I'll play.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      By "all the pain it has brought" do you mean that as part of the agreement you wouldn't suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress?

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe a year or two, not sure. I find thinking too deeply about impossible questions harmful, too. It is what it is...

7. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Sorry. .read this at 4am..No the actual physical pain. The emotional damage can't be undone..(but can be worked through of course) I voted 2 years but wavered on 1.. as any longer I would simply not see the point.

8. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

I also chose my books very specifically in that they would keep me sane during such an arrangement. Very specific choices for very specific reasons. I enjoyed this question and poll. Creative :D

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Think I would be a slave like Fifty Shades of Gray if my tinnitus and Menieres went away ......would it be worth it....
      well my mind would still be blown away.....still feel shattered..... feel like the earth was moving.....feel I can't take no more....... hope your laughing....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    10. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      who are you trying to fool, you would probably do it for free. haha

all joking aside... I hope it gets better for you. take care.

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Now I am laughing......best tinnitus relief.....lots of love glynis :)

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I felt it would be thought provoking for all of us. It was, and still is for me. It really gets down to how much we value freedom from our maladies, and personal freedom to do what we want.
      Let's compare our responses. I said for life. You barely said 2 years--almost just 1. You suffer so much more than I do(I used to have terrible hyperacusis; not anymore)! There must be a huge difference in the valuing of personal freedom between us.
      Actually, on second thought it also has to do with my personality. It is very like me, not to mind sitting at desk with nothing but pen, paper, and a couple references for the rest of my life(although I would want more freedom). I guess I would do okay in prison as long as I kept pushing the guards to get me thrown into solitary confinement(and as long as I was allowd to write there).

13. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I'm not into slavery, but I'd crawl from Florida to New York, pushing a marble by my nose the entire way, to regain my hearing and lose my Tinnitus!

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You would do all that, but you wouldn't give up any years of your life huh? Wouldn't that take over a year, as well as destroy your knees and the rest of your health?

15. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Yup, but I'd be a free man. Besides, I can crawl pretty damn fast, as long as I take the Interstate! };-)

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And because in the terms, you have been ganted immunity to hearing disorders, it won't matter how loud the interstate is.;)

17. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I've seen quite a few of these hypothetical threads, but not sure of the purpose of any of them. It's almost like dreaming of winning the Powerball or another lottery. I guess the humor of it may make some feel better idk.

18. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Jon...yes I do really value my freedom and the fact that it has been taken from me already, I already know what it feels like to be a slave. You gave a choice. If I can choose 1 or 2 years, I'm takin 1! lol...I WANT my life back. I want my health!

19. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Yea but in those cases you actually have a chance of winning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The purpose is introspection, not humor. Then comparing it to the introspection of others concerning how they process things. It's not wish projection; I don't wish for this deal(nor do I wish to win powerball). Sorry the purpose of it is lost on you.

21. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I would sooner think realistic thoughts like OTO-311 helping us. Might be a good time to buy Otonomy's stock though...near the lows. Why do I always hit ratings accidently on a iPad?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The purpose of this hypothetical is to take a realistic look at oneself, which is something that often only hypotheticals do with much power. This thread is the opposite of wish projection, since, we are taking a break from hoping in something like OTO-311 to examine ourselves, and how we think and feel about our hopes--though this is not at all antithetical to talking realistically about OTO-311; it just isn't what this thread is about.