How to Avoid the Occlusion Effect? Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tavia R, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      So I wear ear plugs pretty much from the second I wake up until I crawl back into bed. I have a particularly loud family and we’re all very close and talk constantly, but while my earplugs help block out their voices, my own voice is booming so loud it’s driving my tinnitus crazy and killing my hyperacusis. I can’t lower my voice and talk quieter because both my parents, bless their hearts, had lots of fun partying growing up and sadly now have less than perfect hearing... okay they’re going to need hearing aids in the near future.

I’m kinda in a lose-lose here. I have to have earplugs in to block my family’s loud voices, but doing so gives me the booming voice that hurts me anyways. Do any of you know how to combat this? I can’t really wear ear muffs, I don’t know how well they work for this anyways. They’re a last resort for me because the pressure around my ears hurts so bad and drives my tinnitus through the roof I might as well wear nothing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi

I used to have that problem too, with all conversation. The good news is that my hyperacusis has improved over time, like for many people. I still need earplugs in loud environments, but normal conversation is OK usually. However when my sister comes to visit, she has a loud voice, and she's caused me temporary hearing problems just through being her normal self.

I guess if you keep reminding them it's a problem for you, eventually they'll try and moderate their volume. They might roll their eyes when you bring it up but they won't be going through the pain that you are.

If you use silicon earplugs for protection at concerts, rather than foam ones, then you can keep them loosely in your ear and just push them in a bit tighter when you hear a family member approaching, then slacken them off again later. It can irritate the ears and I don't really have any tips for that, except there may be some creams and oils that will help prevent dryness and irritation in the ear canal.

Best of luck to you!

3. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      What would you consider "A loud environment"?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      A kitchen where pots and pans are being handled.
      A busy city street.
      Some restaurants.
      A cinema
      • I avoided cinemas for 6 months and I'm selective about what movies I will go and see. Only been to 2 or 3 since my recovery began to allow it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      By contrast, a flushing toilet or a boiling kettle was too loud for me 6 months ago.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      I have my favorite custom ear plugs that I wear for conversations, and like you said, I've tried twisting them in and out as I go to speak and as the other person goes to talk to go between fighting the occlusion effect and just how loud they are, but I've found that in group settings it's never quiet enough for me to take out my earplugs to talk.

Either way, I appreciate the tips.

• Like Like x 1
    7. FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      I can’t wear ear plugs but when I thought I could and was researching them I came across ACS and as far as I remember they go in past the cartilage to minimise the occlusion effect:

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/pro-series

• Useful Useful x 1