How to Get the Quietest MRI Experience?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @pleasejuststop, you will be fine with proper, double protection.

I'm having one too coming week, but with a more quieter 1.5T machine.

2. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I’m bringing MRI safe earmuffs but I don’t know if they’ll allow me to use them.

3. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      Maybe call ahead of time and ask if you can bring your MRI safe earmuffs? Or ask want protection level rating their MRI earmuffs have? I'd want -33 dB, as I believe that's around the max protection for earmuffs from what I've read. I have no clue why they can't make say a -50 dB earmuff.

4. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I did ask but they told me “you can bring them and see but they might not let you.” They didn’t let me speak directly to the MRI tech.

5. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, that's pretty annoying they won't work with you ahead of time. Though from my experience, the medical community are the laziest people I've ever met, they don't care if you live or die. I wish I could be my own doctor as I pretty much get no healthcare the past 25 years. i.e., I've had to read my own x-rays and MRI reports to know what is going on and diagnose myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Just a quick feedback after my 4th MRI... for the cervical.

As expected, I was not able to wear my earmuffs on top of my earplugs as I did for the previous 3 MRIs.

As an alternative, I used 2 layers of earplugs. My usual Mack's ultra foam earplugs deeply inserted in my ear canals + silicon Mack's earplugs that I shaped and used to cover the entry of the ear. It requires some practice to get a proper and effective seal with these ones but afterwards this double protection is very effective.

However, when the operator installed me on the table, he put the antenna headset and then inserted pieces of foam between the antenna and my ears. First minutes of the MRI, it seemed loud, and I understood why... The foam pieces were pushing on my ears and breaking the seal of the silicon earplugs... so killing the double protection.

I pushed the "red button" to stop... the operator came and I asked him to remove the foam pieces... I re-adjusted the silicon earplugs and we started again the exam. It was much better.

I have now clear strategy for MRIs:
      • Body or members of the body: double protection with foam earplugs NRR 33 dB + my special MRI earmuffs (I think I will even add the silicon earplugs next time).
      • Head/brain or cervical: double protection with foam earplugs NRR 33 dB in ear canal + silicon earplugs covering the ear + no foam pieces between antenna and ears.
      • In both cases only go for Canon MRI (Orian 1.5T for instance).

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I have made great efforts to Contact Canon Medical via phone call and email to find one of their quiet MRIs, but unfortunately all to no avail. They refuse to respond, which is very disheartening considering they are supposedly in the business to help people’s health by designing/manufacturing MRI equipment.

Anyway, if anyone knows if there is a Canon Vantage 1.5T MRI (with Pianissimo technology) in Massachusetts or even somewhere in New England, please post. As long as it is a Toshiba or Canon with this quiet technology, I am welcome to any other model with this quiet technology. From what I read though, the 1.5T versions are a fair amount quieter than the 3T versions.

If no model can be located from a helpful member, then anyone who has a direct line to the Canon rep for locating such machines, please provide their contact info. The general info or product info tel #s are useless. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What MRI did you use for this 4th MRI?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      This is very helpful. Can you provide a link for the outer silicone earplugs? I assume that the inner foam plugs are the standard issue 3M Earsoft type?

Thanks,
      George

10. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      For the outer silicone earplugs, I used these ones:

Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs – 2 Pair, Beige – The Original Moldable Silicone Putty Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Swimming, Travel, Concerts and Studying : Health & Household

For the usual foam earplugs, I used these ones:

Amazon.com: Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, 50 Pair - 33dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Travel, Concerts, Studying, Loud Noise, Work : Health & Household

Combination of both is highly effective but you really need to properly shape and cover the outer ear with the silicone so as to get a complete seal. If the seal is not 100% then it is like 0 additional protection.

• Useful Useful x 1
    11. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Always Canon Orian 1.5T, including the 4th MRI.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought those machines were supposed to be fairly quiet? I've read of people saying that many operators don't even give people earmuffs or any hearing protection. I would think thus either earplugs or earmuffs alone would have probably made it quiet enough. Are you saying even with the Canon quiet MRI's, that you need both earplugs and earmuffs together?

I've never been around one of those Canon MRI machines, so I'm thus unable to judge for myself on what the loudness is like.

13. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      These machines are much quieter than other brands, for sure. You are right this is not legally required anymore to supply hearing protection (at least in France) for an MRI exam on Canon... Canon is not delivering earmuffs with the machine by the way.

However, it remains quite "intense" for tinnitus/hyperacusis sufferers. It is still a bit loud and the type of noise (jackhammer, alarm bells...) is stressful, but this is the thing, it is maybe more stressful than really dangerous... However, it makes sense to double protect to be on the safest side, to be more comfortable and avoid any "anxiety" spike.

14. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      These Canons are useless to most, as they are being hid by Canon for some ludicrous reason. So cold and disappointing.

15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Other threads on MRIs where some of our veterans had posted - has accurate information.

Loudness has to do with what part of the body is being examined - links for this have been given.

Earmuffs must be metal free and seldom can be used for a head study.

MRI operators will often refuse patients use with their own earmuffs.

Foam earplugs are provided.

There are some very quiet open MRIs for mid and lower body where earmuffs can be used.

There are sites that give sequence with loudness for study area being examined.

When an MRI is considered quiet it compares to levels for those with anxiety and tinnitus.

There is no completely quiet machine.

Pianissimo technology is explained with links on other threads and Pianissimo technology has been recently improved, but this is just now being placed into use.

To find a Toshiba MRI, one needs to call their regional office. For example, Toshiba has 12 offices in California.

I have the contact for Northern California. My hospital Pianissimo with second to last updated software is 83 decibels and one very short time sequence peak at 92 decibels for a head study.

Make sure that you are scheduled for a Toshiba, you must request.

Canon Vantage Galan 3T Brochure

• Like Like x 2
    16. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When I call Toshiba Medical, so I can get a New England regional office, I get Canon Medical. This makes sense since the Toshiba MRI division was sold to Canon. I have made numerous inquiries with all other MRI options, including GE Quiet Scan and Siemens Aura with Quiet Suite. They are too loud. I also made inquiries re open MRIs and the department heads were not optimistic at all re the noise of the scans. If someone has the name of a quiet open MRI machine, then please post. My options are running out and I may have to have an Arthro CT scan instead. The only problem is, I had a significant prior reaction to the iodinated contrast dye, so it will be a nerve wracking experience.

• Useful Useful x 1
    17. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    18. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I had a Philips MRI recently. Not this model though. They also offered something called Acoustic Noise Control.

I had properly sealed foam earplugs + headphones over provided by the clinic.

The noise was stressful, and I was close to panic in the beginning. But not because of the noise, just not feeling calm/anxiety over the situation.

But after a couple of minutes I managed to calm down, using deep breathing techniques and get the pulse down.

After that I was okay. 25 minutes felt like an hour though.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If your situation is your shoulder, then 20mL syringe containing: 10 mL iohexol 300, 5 mL 0.9% saline, 5 mL 0.5% ropivacaine could cause a reaction.

If you can travel to Boston/Cambridge, I might be able to help in finding an MRI with Pianissimo technology.

https://mri.directory/region/Massachusetts/Cambridge

20. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you! I live about 45 minutes from Boston. The prior reaction to the ionidated contrast dye was an Arthro CT on my shoulder. This time the Arthro CT would be on my knee. The test on my shoulder was in the 90s, and I have heard the dye’s molecular composition has changed a bit. Now they are low osmolarity. That and with pre-treatment of Prednisone and antihistamines, I “should” be ok. However, I would rather not take the risk if I can find a Canon or Toshiba (Vantage) with Pianissimo tech. If you know of a specific location, please let me know, otherwise I will just go down the list and call them.

Thanks again.

21. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Luckily I don't have to deal with hyperacusis. Although I know what it was like because when I had COVID-19 a month ago, I perceived any loud noise as being painful in a way. Like when in a store walking by one of those advertisement screens that like to shout at you.

22. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I used silicone earplugs + earmuffs in a 110 dB SPL MRI twice. I made sure to request extra pillows since the vibrations readily enter the inner ear via bone conduction otherwise.

I did get a new tinnitus sound during the same 2-3 months as this, but I have no idea if it's related. I didn't experience a spike or discomfort after the procedure.

23. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Unfortunately no luck with the link. All appear to be of the typical loud MRI machine variety.

• Useful Useful x 1
    24. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My understanding is that only certain Canon/Toshiba models have the patented quiet technology. i.e. the coils encased in a vacuum. If anyone knows of any other brands that use a similar technology, feel free to share.

25. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I figured it was your shoulder (years ago) for a Arthro CT reaction.

Yes, "dye’s molecular composition has changed" and I doubt that you will have a reaction with getting Arthro CT on your knee.

Correct, there's no public MRI Pianissimo technology anywhere near you.

A CT is not loud, but if you decide on getting one, foam earplugs will cover all noise.
      Or you can ask for noise blocking headphones.

I grew up 45 minutes outside of Boston.

Stay in touch.

26. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree. I had two CT scans this year with no problem and I have nasty hyperacusis with severe ear pain from sounds under 80 dB.

George

• Like Like x 1
    27. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From my research, it seems the -dB rating is higher with foam earplugs compared to silicone earplugs.

I wanted silicone earplugs, but it seemed they only went to -25 dB or so compared to the -33 dB that some foam earplugs have. So I went with foam earplugs even though I've never liked them as they are generally uncomfortable.

28. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As far as I remember, CT scans are dead quiet, no? I will keep touch and let you know how the CT scan goes.

• Like Like x 1
    29. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, I just ordered some silicone moldable earplugs and will try your foam/silicone/defender strategy.

George

30. SuperNova55

SuperNova55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My edit has disappeared for some reason, so adding this. I thought CT scans were dead quiet, No?
      Also curious how you predicted my prior CT scan was a shoulder region. Is it because the shoulder is closer to the torso, which means it can more reactive systemically or does the injectable meds differ a bit pending on the location of the scan?