How to Mask Ultra High-Frequency Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AfroSnowman, Oct 19, 2020.

1. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      I've been using Widex hearing aids with their highest pitch white noise for a few months. I find that it doesn't really mask anything at all, it just adds more noise to my existing sound(s).

I know maskers aren't supposed to cover the sound entirely but it would be nice if it did just a little and maybe blend it in with some lower tones.

So my question is for the ultra high pitched tinnitus folks, does anyone use maskers effectively with >12 kHz tinnitus sounds?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @AfroSnowman

Try to keep the volume of your Widex white noise below the level of your tinnitus and don't try to mask it. Masking or covering-up tinnitus is not advised by Audiologists/Hearing Therapists, as you risk irritating your ears and auditory system, and likely to make it worse due to oversensitivity. You are doing the right thing by using your hearing aids which will supply additional sounds to your brain from the outside environment. Over time the tinnitus will reduce as you habituate and also helped by adjusting the volume of the Widex masker/white noise below the level of the tinnitus.

Please click on the link below and read my post: Should I mask my tinnitus as you might find it helpful.
      All the best

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/should-i-mask-my-tinnitus.17964/

3. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      The problem is that if I am having a high day it doesn’t cover it at all. No matter how high I turn it up the sounds don’t overlap so I am just really stuck with the 100% sensation of my tinnitus that I can then hear the masking under; just extra noise in an already noisy day. I think my issue is a lack of overlap between the two sound classes.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      I can’t make it overlap my sound but it is an awesome app. I think it’s my new favorite. Thanks for the tip.

6. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It does depend on the ability of the device to play high-frequency content so you may have to test on different devices.

There's a whole array of sound generators. I like that it has sliders to suit your pitch.

I don't really mask or overlap either as it would mean having to put it too loud, but having this on, and occupying my mind with something else works best. A multifaceted approach if you will.

• Like Like x 1
    7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Do you have bluetooth connectivity with an iPhone? I have that on my Signia 7nx hearing aids. There is an app called MyNoise that I can use to play the rain sound which is a nice alternative to the built in maskers.

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @AfroSnowman

Try not to turn the white noise up too loud even though the tinnitus is louder and doesn't mask it. The reason I say this is because the white noise is competing with the tinnitus even though it is set lower. This can induce stress as you are hearing both the white noise and the tinnitus at a high level, plus you have hearing aids incorporated into the widex device. These are known as dual purpose units.

Sometimes, people with hearing loss as in your case are better off just using the hearing aids and Turning off the white noise for a while and see how they get on. Hearing loss can cause tinnitus but once hearing aid/s are fitted they supply additional sounds from the outside environment so the brain no longer has to increase its internal volume. Over time the brain turns down its internal gain (volume control) at the same time reducing the tinnitus - so white noise is not always needed. Try not using the white noise for a while or turning it down to a very low level so it's not competing with the tinnitus.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    9. Chadilac

Chadilac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Lately I have been using the Zen Tinnitus app by Widex and using the tropical night sound profile.

It doesn’t mask my tinnitus but it mixes with it and helps break it up.

• Like Like x 3
    10. UKBloke

UKBloke Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Funny... this is the one I'm listening to right now; "Starry Night" being current fave.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      Yes I do. I sometimes use those other sounds but it is kind of a shrug. It is better than a dead silent room, but for what ever reason it doesn't really offer me much relief.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      About a year ago I spent a week trekking in the Sumatran rainforest. I had the most remarkable trouble telling where my head ended and the rainforest noise started. It was quite a relief.

• Like Like x 2
    13. GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      When my tinnitus is at its worst I fantasize about moving to the rainforest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. twa
      Sleepy

twa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Hi,

The only thing that can mask mine is the whine/buzz/hum of my dining chandelier dimmer switch. It sounds exactly like my tinnitus. I would think it would sound like my son's high pitched scream which is what caused it in the first place. Sometimes I think it's my tinnitus sounding very loud, then I go and switch off the dimmer and viola! it sounds much quieter!

• Like Like x 1