How to Reduce Your Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Apr 26, 2014.

1. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

For the last couple of weeks I was so busy that I was unable to think of anything else but work. I must say, me not focusing on it is one of the best ways to slightly tune out lol. (I'm sure that the white noise generated by computer fans and Central air helps me masking it).I was able to go through the whole day without constantly hearing the T.
      I also like listening to audiobooks at home bec I usually can't hear the T whole focusing on the plot. Sadly the T reminder always comes back around bed time :(. Anyways just wanted to share my 2 cents :). Thanks for this post !

2. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012

It changed mine from 3 different types of perceived sound (hiss, ring, flutter/hiss) to one lower ring... Tinnitus is a brain issue, not an ear issue... the issue with the ear often cause the T, but my T isn't being perceived as a sound by my outer ear .. and sent to my auditory system its at best some sorta of chemical imbalance of brain dis function....

3. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Yeah Neenie, it sounds like your "perception" changed for sure...however, I think I would say that there is definitely a "volume" issue with tinnitus, not just "perception".

I mean I have had three jump ups in volume after initial level so I have a bit of experience with this. The last jump up took place in such a subtle way that I have no idea how "perception" could be involved.
      For one, I did not know it was happening when it was happening, so how could brain-perception aspects be firing that up?
      Secondly, I was the opposite of stressed. I was feeling great and doing something I loved. (Hassling corporate bullies in a meeting...politely!).
      Three, the volume level increase was a total surprise to me and I plain did not believe it for a few days. So some sort of "mental conditioning" seems unlikely.
      Four, objectively it is louder. I can remember with each level of volume increase where I could hear my ringing and where I could not...First it was just in a very quiet room; then even with a bit of background noise; then all the time but not when there was constant loud background noise (like traffic, or a creek flowing, or music, etc.); then all the time above everything.

These levels remained objectively constant no matter what my mood or 'perception' of it was. Sure, when I was adapted or preoccupied, etc. (First three volume levels, still struggling with this fourth one) I would not 'hear" my tinnitus, but that was the brain perception part. If I stopped and objectively-subjectively did a volume test on myself...like in a quiet room, or stuck my fingers in my ears in a quite place, etc. the volume was where it was for that level, no matter what I thought about it.

I am not saying here that tinnitus is not a "brain thing" as for sure it is. But I am saying tinnitus "volume" is a reality.

Best, Zimichael

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      In tinnitus, the perception is the reality.

Stephen Nagler

5. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Six and a half months in and i'm still struggling, still crying every day and still thinking about suicide, i just can't cope!!!

• Hug Hug x 4
    6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      You're absolutely right, because in the last day or so, I haven't been able to hear my tinnitus at all. I even paid a visit to a sound treated room (not sound proof) and sat in there for several minutes and was actively trying to hear my T, and I couldn't hear anything at all.

Assuming that my "tinnitus" remains the way it is right now, I would consider myself cured. Also when I was sitting in the sound treated room actively listening for my T, but I still couldn't hear it, I thought even more what a load of crap it is that people say, "Everyone has T".

And keep in mind, that I was actively trying to listen for my T, and I simply can't hear it. In fact, I am trying to listen right now and I can't hear it. For the first time in nearly 3 months, I hear what is considered "silence" again... :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Neenie
      I read your first post (almost gone, sound way down) and I'm happy to hear that; then I read your second post (it's back, never really left) -- I really know how you feel (sorry:huganimation:). You can get back to that emotional state of your first post in time.

It sounds like you are struggling with the idea of T more than the T itself (I know, thanx Capt. Obvious). At least that is what I used to do. It's not so much the sound of T as it is the idea of T -- and the resulting reaction to it (therein lies the problem). It's a total emotional drain which, in turn, makes it worse. You have to stop reacting to the T and the whole idea of T; that's the real difficulty (not easy to do, but doable).

You don't need to think of yourself as sick; I've had a trick knee for over twenty years -- it clicks when I go down the stairs in the morning and I have to take measures to protect it when I play ball. So what?? I know T is far more complex than that, but who cares?

In the end it is what you make of it; I'm so sorry if this sounds condescending or if I come across with a 'what's your problem?' attitude (not meant that way at all). I'm just trying to paint a picture of your future -- when you stop reacting to it emotionally (the sound as well as the idea) ya just don't care anymore (you go outside and whirl your hair like ya just don't care :) and party on). You will get there.

Prayers!

Mark

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    8. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @MattK Agreed about the whole 'everyone has T' business. Maybe they do and maybe the don't. But T isn't T if it isn't loud. It's the (relative) volume that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I wrote:

"In tinnitus, the perception is the reality."

@carol kane responded:

"Six and a half months in and i'm still struggling, still crying every day and still thinking about suicide, i just can't cope!!!"

And that is your reality. I totally understand. Been there myself. Cried daily. Not only thought about suicide, but actually thought about how I could do it without making too much of a mess. So I absolutely understand your reality. The question is what steps have you taken to change your reality to this point ... and what different steps will you be taking in the coming weeks and months, because what you have been doing up to now doesn't seem to have gotten you very far.

So let's go about the important business of getting you better, OK?

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    10. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      If you do not react to your tinnitus, the volume does not matter at all.

Stephen Nagler

11. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I have no clue how to get myself better, i'm a mess and any advice would be gratefully received thank you for responding to me.

12. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well, if you had leukemia, I suspect you would seek the advice of a doctor with knowledge and experience in the treatment of leukemia. So for starters, have you sought the advice of a doctor with knowledge and experience in tinnitus? I realize that it might be an archaic notion in the Internet age, but that's what I did.

Stephen Nagler

13. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I went to see an Audiologist and had moulded ear plugs made, she tested my hearing and said no hearing loss, then said you will just get used to it in time.

14. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right. But most audiologists have little or no knowledge and experience in the treatment of patients with intrusive tinnitus ... and even less interest in it.

Stephen Nagler

15. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      So then what is my next move ? who should i go to for some help ? i'm taking anti anxiety tablets and antidepressants.

16. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      All the various nutrients, medications, supplements and vitamins likely have no beneficial effects. The Neuromonics is probably a significant step. What is most likely to be happening is that as you feel you are getting control over the tinnitus, you are starting to habituate.

17. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      That is true. But it doesn't make it any less real. Like if the volume on the TV. If the volume were 20 (out of 100) and I don't react, and suddenly the volume went up to 50, and I don't react, I suppose the change in volume from 20 to 50 really doesn't matter. But that doesn't mean the change isn't real.

Besides, do you not react at all? I remember there were times when you told me that no one can be fully habituated or that sometimes your tinnitus does distract you, even if rare. Wouldn't you rather just simply not have that at all? It would be like I get headaches from time to time. I am not prone to chronic headaches. I might have a headache once/month, and it's relatively minor compared to how some people have it. But given a choice, I would rather not have them at all. Even if it was just once/year, I would rather not have it given a choice. Of course, I realize this if we had a choice, and we usually don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      If it does not bother you, why should you care?

Sure. But I live in the real world, Matt. And reality is full of grays. Everything else being equal, of course I'd prefer not to have tinnitus. But given that my LOUD SCREAMING tinnitus hardly ever bothers me now, I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that every once in a while it can distract me and interrupt my focus and concentration.

Stephen Nagler

19. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Go back to your audiologist, tell her that you appreciate her help but are not doing well at all, and ask her if she knows of an audiologist or other health care professional in your geographical area with particular expertise in the evaluation and treatment of individuals with severe intrusive tinnitus.

Stephen Nagler

20. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I suppose if it truly didn't bother me whatsoever, then I wouldn't care. But the only point I was trying to make was the volume is real whether it bothers me or not.

Of course, I wouldn't want your tinnitus to bother you at all, not even occasionally/rarely. This is essentially making the best out of the hand we are dealt, i.e. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I totally understand that since we cannot do anything about tinnitus itself yet, that the only thing we can do is work on the things we can control, such as our reaction. But even still, I will not claim that I don't care one way or another whether a cure existed. You perhaps might not, but that's how we're different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I do care about a cure. It's just not particularly high on my priority list.

It used to be the only thing that mattered to me. But now there are numerous things that matter more.

Stephen Nagler

22. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Matt...that is really super that you had zero volume on your tinnitus. If you were actively listening for it and it was not there, then indeed I call that 'zero volume'. You could not ask for much better than that. I don't care what anyone calls it or considers it to be, as ultimately everything is perception anyway. Those who consider "volume" to not be relevant are just naive as it is a helluva lot harder to adapt to higher volume tinnitus than lower volume tinnitus, period. It's hardly even worth discussing, as tinnitus that you have to strain to listen to is hardly even worth calling tinnitus!...So go forth and LIVE! But do be careful of course, as I think once we have had tinnitus we may be more susceptible to damage than those who never seem to get it even with great sound abuse, etc.
      Once again...just GREAT! Relish that silence.
      Best, Zimichael.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Zimichael wrote:
      Matt...that is really super that you had zero volume on your tinnitus. If you were actively listening for it and it was not there, then indeed I call that 'zero volume'.

I would say tinnitus is non existent and call it cured or whatever it's time to move on with your life away from this board.

And on the subject of volume it's real to me especially as I can't mask it and often strain to hear peoples voices or the tv. If my T was objective rather than subjective the volume would be heard by somebody else

24. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      You may be right... I don't know that it won't come back, though... it is a little hard for me to leave the board though, because I know so many people are suffering, and I like to encourage others not to give up hope. Besides, I do move on with my life... I always have been. My spending time on this board was because I wanted to, not because I had to. Whether my tinnitus ever comes back to not, no matter what, it has affected my life. I will be able to relate to tinnitus sufferers in a way that I wouldn't have been able to had I not gone through this. And many times I had the pleasure of being able to encourage those who were feeling discouraged. But I didn't ever have to be here... I didn't have to be here after my 3 week with tinnitus, really.

I once answered a question of what would I do if I were suddenly cured from tinnitus, and I answered that I wouldn't do anything differently because my tinnitus didn't hinder me from doing anything I enjoy. I meant that, still do, and I'm here because I want to help. If I feel that I can't help anymore, then I will be gone then.

• Like Like x 1
    25. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you for your advice, very kind of you.

26. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @carol kane I am not a doctor so @Dr. Nagler probably knows better than I do. However in my country we literally have 0 audiologists/ENTs who are capable of helping people with tinnitus. So i visited a psychiatrist (because he treats my sister and father for other reasons) and he has had many patients with tinnitus before. Therefore he was actually able to help me better than the ENTs/audiologists. What he did was prescribe some antidepressants and refered me to a psychologist in for CBT (I will start in the summer). The point is that you can't do anything about the tinnitus, but you can change your attitude. I believe there is a saying that "Give me strength to change the things that I can change and the strength to accept the things that I can do nothing about". Suits here as well:)

• Like Like x 2
    27. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you Stina, i will go to my doctor and ask him to refer me to a psychiatrist, i agree with you that it's my attitude to this situation that is holding me back, i just can't accept it and my future looks bleak to me right now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @carol kane Be carefull with antidepressants. I took amitryptilin, risperidon and xanax.. My state get worse. Those meds made hell in my ears-i heard multiply tones changed every times+ i had vertigo, something pull out from my ears. When i stop took antidepressant, vertio go away,but i stil hear multiply tones. I had acustic trauma before and ent doctor said me, that just antidepressants can help me (stupid mistake). Now i take just bromzepam.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    29. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @MattK I just want to say how great it is to hear your news. My t is usually mild, and recent, and whatever happens to me, it's great to hear about your remission. And I always have enjoyed your posts. All the best in the future!

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013