Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Joe Cuber
      Curious

Joe Cuber Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      @Jan64, how quickly after onset would you say?

2. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Dear Joe, thank you for your question. I read in a scientific article that there is a significant difference between the success rate before and after 14 days (time between onset and treatment). Unfortunately, I can not find that article anymore.

Körpinar et al (2011) (see attachment) stresses the importance of the time between onset and treatment. Another paper suggested that being younger or older than 50 is also a factor. So when you are younger, the chance of getting relief is better.

It also important what you see as 'onset'. Is that the starting of tinnitus, the noise trauma, or a large amount of smaller noise traumas... HBOT ensures a high concentration of oxygen (500%) in the organ of Corti. This induces healing processes. In my opinion, the chance that damaged hair cells heal, strongly depends on the time between damage and getting the oxygen.

In 1996 I was treated for the first time with HBOT. The time between onset (aggravation) was and treatment was 77 days. And that was an successful treatment. Then I was younger than 50 (32).

From 1996 till now I underwent a total of 154 sessions... and experienced getting treatment within 1-2 days after onset or aggravation is the best. For me 5 days is already quite a long time.

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Joe Cuber
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's quite an informed answer, @Jan64, thanks. It sounds like you found your solution to tinnitus management.

Sadly for me, I've had my sudden onset 4 months ago and there wasn't a singular cause I could point at, just a number of possible factors. And I've had gradual hearing loss for years now. That rules out HBOT for me.

I hope it continues to be a good treatment for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Joe Cuber -- Just to give you a little information: HBOT has been shown to be highly effective for people who've suffered strokes, aneurysms, and even some cases of paralysis. This has been the case even when the therapy was administered years after one of those occurrences.

There's so much that is unknown about whether or not HBOT will work for certain conditions, because it's never been researched on a wide scale. But I've come to believe it can work very well for situations where you would objectively think it might not.

I had a home mHBOT unit (with the "m" standing for mild), and was able to use it 3-4x/week for over a year. It eventually got burned in a house fire. During the time I was using it regularly, my tinnitus did seem to improve somewhat, but I can't say it was the mHBOT that was responsible.

What I can say is that I found the sessions to be so relaxing, that it greatly helped me in coping with tinnitus. I could be severely on edge prior to going into the chamber, and be quite relaxed coming out. That feeling would stay with me for hours, and even at times lead to better sleep.

If you're interested, you can purchase one of these, and get a 30-day money back warranty on it. So you could experiment for many sessions, and see if this could help you on an ongoing basis. I certainly believe regular mHBOT therapy can go a long way toward preventing many health conditions, and improving quality of life in the present.

Also, if you wanted to do it regularly for a year, and then discontinue it, you could always resell the unit. They apparently hold their value well, and you could end up with many very low-cost sessions in the mean time.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Joe Cuber
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the info @Lane, I didn't realize you could get a home mHBOT units, fascinating. I'll research the units and their benefits, thanks again :)

6. VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ultrasonic dental cleaning
      I got tinnitus 8 days ago. Can someone please point me to the source of the claim that HBOT can be helpful in the early days?

7. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Read this 11 page document. I would try it.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see, thank you. It seems like the biggest flaw here is that the vast majority of studies cited don't have a control group, so, while they generally show positive benefits of HBOT in the first 2 weeks, it could be just signaling that people with 2 weeks of tinnitus are prone to recovery regardless.

Interesting, regardless.

9. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Factory noise + Headphones + Clubbing + Vaccine? + Stress
      If you do it, then wear hearing protection because it can be quite loud sometimes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Eliska
      Scared

Eliska Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I underwent 10 HBOT sessions (10 consecutive days) and I have to say that it did help. I had very mild hearing loss in high frequencies and now my audiogram is back to normal (up to 8 kHz) and my tinnitus is somewhat better. I took a lot of antioxidants and vitamins during the course of the sessions and I continue to taking them.

I have decided to pay for another 10 sessions in a private center in a different city and hopefully my tinnitus will fade away completely. My ENT doesn't want to prescribe me more sessions because my audiogram is ok and "I'm healthy". I start next week on Monday and I will keep you updated.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Dear VTae,

Sorry to hear you suffer from tinnitus. I hope you can cope with it.

Regarding your question: it depends. You mention that your tinnitus is caused by ultrasonic cleaning. That can be a trigger of tinnitus. It is helpful to examine whether there are underlying causes of your tinnitus? Going to festivals, loud music, power tools, factory noise, long ride on motorcycles, listening to mp3 devices, etc.

Only 'fresh' hearing loss, arising from the cochlea, can be 'repaired' with HBOT.

Apart from that, and along with HBOT, you could also try Prednisone 60 mg a day for 3-5 days and then tapering off with 10 mg / day. E.g., 60 mg, 60 mg, 60 mg, 50 mg, 40 mg, 30 mg, 20 mg, 10 mg, 10 mg, 10 mg.

Do not wait too long for making the choice... Every hour counts...

Good luck!

Regards,
      Jan

12. VTae

VTae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can tell you with absolute certainty that my tinnitus isn't caused by anything related to sound. I never listened to music and I spent most of the day in absolute silence. Sadly, I contacted the few HBOT clinics around my city. They denied treating me. I will be out of the 2 weeks opportunity window soon. :(

13. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Dear VTae,

I feel your pain. How sad. Is there a possibility to go to a treatment center elsewhere?

Kind regards,
      Jan