Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      8 sessions done, no change in my hearing loss. I *think* I got one more lower frequency reactive beep due to the sounds in the pressure chamber: during the last 3 sessions I could hear a new lower frequency Morse code reacting to all the sounds during the procedure. I am taking a break now.

2. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      How loud is the hyperbaric chamber when undergoing HBOT? Decibel approximation?

I have hyperacusis and not sure if I can handle it.

Are the single person chambers quieter than the multi person ones?

Thanks.

3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      After I bought my own HBOT chamber, I discovered it was too loud for me. I was able to purchase a "silencer" where about 90% of the noise was eliminated. I don't know if hard chambers found in HBOT clinics have such an option, but home units do (at least mine did).

• Like Like x 1
    4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Not too bad diving, quite loud surfacing.

And don't think about double protection unless they are vented earplugs. Super dangerzone.

Be sure to equilize tons.

It's pretty snakeoil and the techs are fools.

• Like Like x 1
    5. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      @Matchbox, was it a multiple person one or a single person chamber? And do you think wearing earmuffs/ear defenders is safe with the pressure, since I can't wear earplugs in there unless they're vented?

6. danielthor

danielthor Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did you wear double-protection, earmuffs + earplugs? I’m very much considering this since there’s a chamber not too far from where I live and I have nothing to lose but money at this point.

7. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earmuffs will make it harder for you to equilibrate pressures. Only use vented plugs and that's it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. danielthor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      God damn this stuff makes a lot of noise. And the noise is really harsh. I’m lucky if this isn’t causing permanent damage.

9. danielthor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How do regular foam earplugs differ from vented earplugs?

10. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The vented plugs have a hole for the air to escape, thus making it easy to equilibrate the pressure between the outer ear and the middle ear. I used my musician's plugs.

11. danielthor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What exactly are you basing this off of, - that blocking the ears with protection affects the oxygen intake?

12. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are misunderstanding me, it's not about oxygen intake, it's because you are in an airtight capsule while you undergo the procedure and they increase the air pressure there; if you can't equilibrate pressures, you might get barotrauma.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Jt17

Jt17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Hi all, curious to hear anyone's thoughts.

I have undergone 7 treatments for HBOT and paid for 10. I was primarily seeking treatment for sudden hearing loss but also have tinnitus in that same ear, which started roughly six weeks after the hearing loss.

On the 7th treatment my unaffected ear's eardrum perforated and I had stopped the treatment immediately. Both the nurse & my ENT suggested taking a week off. The ENT thinks at this point (3 months after onset) the risks outweigh the benefit but he didn't think it would do anything to begin with. I would also note that I started hearing a very faint ringing in my right ear now too but it is really only obvious in a very quiet setting or when I have my ear plugged.

So now I am trying to decide if I should cease treatment and request a refund or continue to do the remaining 3. I was taking Sudafed to help with the pressure issues but did not take it on the day the perforation happened. I have an email typed up saying I want to cease treatment and request the refund but I am having trouble sending it. I don't want to "give up" on treating this but I am running out of options it seems.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      What exactly is a silencer and where did you buy it? After buying it did you have to wear earplugs inside for the pressure thing so you wouldn't give yourself barotrauma? Or are the home units more safe on the pressure thing?

Thank you!

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    15. rogerlee

rogerlee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, medication
      Did you try HBOT? Can you share your experience? Thank you.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. danielthor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I only did 2 sessions. I did it for my other brain disorder, but it made it worse so I stopped. It would have worsened my ear problems anyway. It depends on how bad your case is I guess. Mine is bad.

17. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Ela Stefan -- A silencer is sort of a mini HBOTchamber, about the size of a football. It's attached onto the tube that goes from the compressor to the actual large HBOT chamber, and is located about half way in between. I got it from the company that sells these chambers, and I've assumed all brands would have that option.

I believe I paid something like $300-$400 for it, which is why I didn't get it originally. I just hadn't realized how loud they were without the silencer, and was surprised how well it lowered the volume when I finally got it. My best guess is it lowered the volume by around 90%.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Does HBOT help with benzo withdrawal or tolerance, which can make your brain sensitive and sizzling very badly from normal noises?

19. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went through an 18-month benzo withdrawal about 20 years ago, so I know what you're referring to. Afterwards I discovered a micro-current device called Alpha-Stim that helped calm my brain and neurological systems down considerably, and felt I would have had a much easier time with my benzo withdrawal had I had it during that time.

I didn't have my first experience with HBOT until about two months after getting drug-induced tinnitus on Feb. 4, 2018. The drug (Promethazine) completely whacked out my brain and neurological system--along with giving me screaming tinnitus. I truly wondered whether I would ever be able to relax again.

About half way through my first HBOT session, I was actually able to relax again. I then bought my own unit, and did 3-4 sessions per week for a little over a year, until it got burned in a S. Oregon urban wildfire. I believe those sessions went a long way toward stabilizing my brain and nervous system, and also believe it would have been very helpful during my benzo withdrawal.

I recently had another experience that helped calm my brain and neurological system down that's much cheaper than either Alpha-Stim or HBOT. It's a different kind of micro-current device my chiropractor used on me, and I found it profoundly relaxing. He sent me links to order it on Amazon, but I can't seem to find his emails. When I get it, I'll post the information. The device and app together comes to about $150.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was more likely the high pressure hissing sound of the chamber that made you relax as it gave you residual inhibition over the tinnitus... just expensive masking.

Ototoxicity tinnitus is wild and HBOT may or may not help, considering damage is usually from oxidative stress, it likely would make things worse.

Also, benzo withdrawal and then doing HBOT? Fucking. Nuts. Do NOT DO THIS. This is very dangerous.

Educate yourself on what HBOT is if you want more information. You could develop seizures, including auditory ones.

You do NOT want that shit, especially trapped in a tiny fucking chamber.

21. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you're doing this for benzo related tinnitus, it is HIGHLY ILL ADVISED.

Source: Me. And basic neuro-metabolism theory. And ignorance. Seriously don't fucking do it.
      You can wear vented earplugs or earmuffs where there's a tiny space for air to get in/out.

If you do not, you risk damaging your ossicles or inner ear membranes, because even if you can equalize, your ear canal cannot, and your eardrum will begin to flex, pulling on your ossicular joints, and the annular ligament connecting your windows of your inner ear.

Basically really, really, really stupid to do. So be sure if there's anything in your ears, air has zero issues getting in/out.

Sudden hearing loss is like the only reason to do this treatment imo.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, that was not the case. I was there.

23. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      For example, I have heard many people with neurological problems, such as those with Lyme disease, depression, fatigue syndrome, insomnia etc. successfully using HBOT.

So I was wondering, maybe it was good for benzo withdrawal as well!

Neurofeedback is frequently used for all of the aforementioned as well.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some of that makes fundamental sense if a lack of oxygen is indeed the issue, like insomnia perhaps?

But it is pedaled in private clinics as a cure all whereas it only has a few real world applications, like having a stroke, the bends, necrotic bones or sudden hearing loss, all things where a lack of oxygen is the culprit.

Oxygen is a very, very good stimulant at those concentrations at about 2 atmospheres and up, seizures are not uncommon with HBO.

Hence the extreme caution in regards to benzo withdrawal treatment.
      So was I. I noticed the decrease as well. Turned my tone to a hiss and might've saved some hair cells. Maybe.

But in the end it really was, Not. Worth. It.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I use double protection: earmuffs (Peltor X5A) and earplugs (ACS27). No problem equalizing... HBOT 2.4 ATM.

26. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Does HBOT work for reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis? Has anyone tried it for those?

27. danielthor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It gave me setbacks because of the noise.

28. Eliska
      Disapproved

Eliska Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022 right ear, 10/2022 left ear
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear - middle ear infection, Left ear - neck issues
      I had my first HBOT session today. I was scared if I will equalize the pressure correctly, but it went fine. I used earmuffs during the oxygen inhalation period. The chamber and the masks of other patients were loud.

I can't say if it had an effect on my tinnitus, maybe it lowered the high-pitched eeee sound, but I think it's too early for evaluation.

I'm quite scared of another sessions as I don't want my tinnitus to get worse. I'm taking some antioxidants - Q10 coenzyme, vitamin E and plan to buy others.

29. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Stop while you are ahead. Just two sessions of HBOT wrecked my Eustachian tubes permanently.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Dear Eliska. It is indeed too early to expect results after the first session. I had a lot of HBOT sessions, in several series. I experienced relief from the 7th or 8th session...

It is key to get HBOT quick after the onset...

When equalizing keeps being a problem, take Xylometazoline (Otrivin). I think they have that at the facility or you can buy it a drug store. Take two sprays 20 minutes in advance.
      It is indeed loud in the chamber... I use a combination of earmuffs (Peltor X5A) and earplugs (ACS 27). Mostly also in the 5 minute periods between the 20 minute O2 blocks.

Take care!

Regards,
      Jan

• Like Like x 1