Hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Support' started by RingingMike, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      They have smaller doses. 25mcg if you're nervous. I am going to wait before saying anything else on the matter as I await bloodwork results and doctor consultation but I did end up developing hyperthyroid symptoms on 50mcg.

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Tinnitus reports at 0.38 - less than most medications - any medication.

Consideration may be that this drug will actually lower your tinnitus, particularly among females with thyroid issues.

3. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you for your replies!

I think I'll be taking 25mg for a week and then up to 50mg, something my GP recommended if I didn't want to take 50mg right from the beginning. I have another appointment in four weeks to see if the lymph node has gotten smaller.
      However, if my tinnitus spikes severely, I'll probably stop taking the medication... I've been experiencing a bunch of mild-moderately annoying symptoms recently and I genuinely don't know if they're psychosomatic or not, so I want to try this medication to see if it could help.

And I hope that if it spikes my tinnitus, that this spike will go down once I stop taking the medication.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Autumnly

This is just my take: A lot of GPs know aboutas much about the intricacies of thyroid health as ENTs know about the intricacies of tinnitus--not much. If I may, I would suggest you check out the book, "Iodine Crisis", by Lynn Farrow. A lot of your concerns are addressed in this book. The link (in the title) will take you to Amazon, where you could read parts of the book, and also many informative comments. -- All the Best!

The Iodine Crisis: What You Don’t Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life by Lynne Farrow

The Iodine Crisis by Lynne Farrow (Book Review)

Lynne-Farrow.jpg?zoom=1.jpg

Book Review by Jeffrey Dach MD

If you are a woman diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease or breast cancer, you need to read this book. If you are a woman who undergoes repeated breast biopsies or breast cyst aspirations, then you need to read this book. If you are a breast cancer survivor, then you need to read this book.

As an interventional radiologist for 30 years, my job was to read the mammograms and perform the procedures, the breast biopsies and needle aspirations. Some women had multiple cysts and nodules and returned to the department every year for repeat aspirations and biopsy procedures. They would always corner me in the reading room and ask, “Doctor, what can I do to make these cysts and nodules in my breast go away”? And for 30 years I would throw up my hands and say “we just don’t know”.. .

After I retired from radiology and returned to clinical medicine in 2004, I attended medical meetings and listened to David Brownstein MD and George Flechas MD speaking about the health benefits of Iodine supplementation.

Iodine is the answer to fibrocystic breast disease. Iodine is the answer for breast cancer prevention. Iodine is the answer I should have been giving to all the women over the years I worked in the hospital X-ray department, but didn’t. So I am making up for it now. We routinely test for Iodine level, and give Iodine supplements to every woman in my clinic. I consider this extremely important.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I agree...

I've just joined the hypothyroidism club.

I'm currently looking at testing the precursors to thyroxine (selenium, iodine, and tyrosine) and supplement accordingly.

I'm also correcting a low ferritin, which can impact adversely on thyroid health.