I Decided to Start Going Out Again

Discussion in 'Support' started by RedThinker, Mar 8, 2014.

1. RedThinker
      Joyful

RedThinker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/07/2009
      Hello there fellow T-talkers.

After I got more effected by my T, I now feel confident to go out again. Of course this means, that there will be a lot of loud music for longer periods of time and I feel that I wont go out with out a nice good pair of earplugs.
      Do any of you have experiences with some nice, almost invisible earplugs? And do you think I will be able to go out with earplugs, without cracking up the volume button on my T anymore? And what price should I be looking for (for the earplugs) cause I am willing to spend a lot on a good, lifetime pair of earplugs? And last, how good should the earplugs be, in terms of how much should it lower the sounds, cause I don't want to ruin the music there is.

I wish you all a nice day and thanks for your answers if there will be any ;)
      RedThinker

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I have these: http://www.allearplugs.com/earplug-...zezz-universal-earplugs-snr-30-db-orange.aspx and they are quite good. They block out the loud noises, but you can hear conversations with them very well. They are orange (also come in red), but they fit almost in side the ear so they are not very visible. However there is no such thing as a lifetime pair of earplugs - moost of the plugs can be used 5-6 time and then they become uneffective.
      If possible, order a pair of custom made earplugs. Ask your Doc about them:) They are designed specifically for your ear canal and are therefore more effective. Maybe they last longer too - but I dont know about that.
      I have to say that even with 30 db plugs you are not completely safe. Its like with sunbathing - you can a very high SPF cream but that doesnt mean that you can stay the whole day in the sun and not burn. Plugs help protect you, but they dont offer 100% guaranatee that your T is not going to go louder. For your own good I advise you to wear 30 db plugs even in bars and stay out of places with screaming loud music. There are also bars/clubs with music that is not so loud - pick those:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AliHT
      Amused

AliHT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey Redthinker! Good for you, go out there, explore the world damnit! :)

I have been through a lot of earplugs, the ones I like the absolutely most, and that I am wearing today, are these babies(size small):

earasers-w-logo-case.jpg
      DV016_Jpg_Large_H95309_J.jpg

They are really practically invisible. Nobody in my circle of friends has even noticed them. They are also very good to have for conversation and music!

• Like Like x 2
    4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @AliHT do you order these online? can you give me the link?

5. AliHT
      Amused

AliHT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @AliHT Thanks but they dont have a contract with Estonia though :depressed:

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AliHT
      Amused

AliHT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Shugs! You can always search online for them, there are other companies that might ship to your country within europe(I haven't looked extensively).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      RedThinker
      Very encouraged you are taking positive steps! Get out there and live (awesome, indeed) :cool:

I got some custom ear plugs from an audiologist; they squirted a mixture in my ear to make a custom fit mold. The pair cost a hundred bucks but they are well worth it. I play racquetball (it's very loud) and I go swimming (they keep water out of my ears). So glad I got them!

Mark

9. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      but guys those earasers only protect with up to 19 db that is not enough in my opinion for concerts or clubs or any place where really loud music is played.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Which plugs do you use?

11. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      you could either try musician earplugs (music safe) because they keep the music clear and have 3 kinds of filters with different levels of protection of which the highest is 28 db
      and if it is really loud and you don't mind the quality of music too much I would go with the ear soft FX plugs which have an unbelievable SNR 39 so they protect you very well.
      and then you could get customized earplugs on the long run, @Markku has posted good links to those. but of course they are little more expensive ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      SNR 39 is a lot. I do have a pair of 33 db musicians plugs which Im satisfied with though:) No need to go to concerts and clubs, I am fine with moderately loud bars:) Id like customized plugs made specifically for my ears but I dont think they are made in Estonia:(

13. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I'm sure there are acousticians in Estonia, too. I mean there must be people who need hearing aids so there also must be an acoustician:D

14. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Im not sure, but I googled it and didnt find anything, also I asked my audiologist about it and he looked puzzled. Yes we have hearing aids but I think they are fitted by the ENTs who have had maybe some special training. Estonia is such a small country with only around 1,3 million people so probably the market for custom made plugs is too small. Or no one has had the idea yet..

15. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      You can get them online or go to a music store and get so you get the right size

16. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      wow maybe you should start a business for customized earplugs then. I'll keep my eyes open for a page where you can maybe order customized plugs online...

17. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you but its fine:) Im content with my current plugs. Yes I actually thought about it:D I also thought about starting a bar called "Ear" which would have music not louder than 85 db with decibel meters everywhere and plugs being sold everywhere:D

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      awesome that would definitely be my favorite bar in the world:D

• Like Like x 1
    19. Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      I carry earplugs with me in my purse in case someone is using leafblower or other noise I can't tolerate. I like the ones posted in this post and will look into purchasing some. Thank you.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RedThinker
      Joyful

RedThinker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/07/2009
      Hey everyone, thanks a lot for your answers, all of research to do now :)
      I still however curious on how much the earplugs should reduce, on a db scale?

21. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      depends on the plugs and on the place you go to:) In my opinion if you go out and want to have fun its better to use 30 db musicians plugs. ´If you have fun time flies and in this way you can be safe even for longer periods.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RedThinker
      Joyful

RedThinker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/07/2009
      https://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html
      I have been looking at these for a while and they reduce to a maximum of 25 db, and has three different reduction levels. Would these be good?

23. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      sure but it seems to me that you can only buy filters from there and not plug (because they only make custom made plugs)

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RedThinker
      Joyful

RedThinker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/07/2009
      Yea, I would have to find an audiologist, who can make the plugs for me and then insert the filters. But I find it rather hard to chose, cause i'm afraid of buying something useless...

25. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If the plugs are good then 25 db reduction should be fine for bars and lounges:) I have 33 db reduction plugs though and they dont seem very strong. I think you have to try and find what suits for you - everyone is indvidual. For concerts maybe the plugs that seal recommended, although i honestly think concerts are a risk..

26. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      These are tremendous. Etymotic are at the top of the heap when it comes to ear plug quality. I've also heard good things about the ACS brand but haven't done enough research on them specifically. Etymotic are definitely worth the money though, so be confident in that - I've had a bunch of top tier musicians and audiologists recommend them.

Get them custom fitted by an approved audiologist and get all 3 attenuation filters (-9, -15 and -25db) if you can afford it, you can swap them in and out very easily to suit whatever you need them for, eg. -15 for movies, -25 for bars and concerts, -9 for smaller partiers, etc. If you can't afford them all, get the -25db filters and then buy the other filters later if you think you'll need them, they are everywhere online. I think you can also get a solid insert filter which provides up to -30db-ish of protection, but the solid insert will obviously muffle the sound considerably. The -25db filters should really do the job though, just remember that if you're somewhere super loud to take regular breaks and give your ears a rest, drink plenty of water, stay away from speaker stacks, etct! Good luck!

27. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Went to a concert yesterday it lasted 6 hours .....wore 33 nrr heoros foam plugs in both ears and then further on top of that I sealed both my ears with 22 db nrr silicon ear plugs ... So a total of 55 nrr in both ears .. Could only hear a bit of speech and hardly any music I was about 2o m away from the closest speakers ... Had a. Sound meter with me as well. The loudest the music went upto was 115 db but mostly was hovering around the 100 db mark ....I took short brakes from the music after every hour ....but I don't know what has still gone wrong my tinnitus has increased three folds ... There seems to be some kind of hearing loss ...can any one tell me inspire of so much care and protection I still haven't been able to save myself from damage ...

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I was checking them out online... They dont seem to have alot of protection tho if i read right.. It said nnr 5?

29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey stina are the universal noizzes good for like moderate bars or house parties? I have a pair of 33 db heros and they are just so uncomfortable and fall outta my ear..

30. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      then I think they are too big for your ears.. you should look out for smaller earplugs, one size earplugs often seem to be too big for women or people with smaller ear canals...