I Decided to Start Going Out Again

Discussion in 'Support' started by RedThinker, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The dB reduction does not accumulate unfortunately, those foam ones always falls out and never seem to proper fit, guess people wear it for the colour :p those etymotic people seem to recommend

• Like Like x 1
    2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      no haha I think you can't just sum up the SNR's but as long as you were fine, I think everything is okay. AndSNR 33 alone is very good and should protect you very well.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      What about the etymotic universal ones that have 20 db reduction.. You think those are okay for music blasting arouns 100- 105 dbs?

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      you would end up with about 80-85 db left from the 100-105 which sounds good to me. I would try it out for maybe 1-2 hours and see if you are fine afterwards. If you are you can stay longer the next time with taking breaks of course.

5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yes I think they are fine for that:) They have different sizes as well from S to Xl. The filters are colourful so thats stupid but they are stll quite invisible. And you can always cover them up with your hair:)I

6. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Hi it hasn't protected. Have a fullness in both the ears and. A kind of vertigo....needs to go and get an audimetric test done to check for hearing loss

7. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I suppose its sort of like with a broken bone. Some broken bones heal perfectly, whereas others can heel but are not as they were before and certain normal actions can become painful. Now think about the ear, which can't heal itsself. I suppose if you have sensitive ears + a lot of damage even normal sounds can be harmful as well. I know India is really loud, but you in your case it obviously gets louder even with protection. Therefore it probably safer to avoid noise as much as possible.

8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      maybe 6 hours was a little bit too much :/

9. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      As a guide to loudness, the UK Regulations for Noise at Work say that when noise is above 85dB ear protection must be worn. Below 85dB (as an average) is supposed to be safe for an 8 hour working day.

That might help as a guide, but your own sensitivity to sound can make you react differently. If you aim for 80dB after reduction you should keep pretty safe.

• Like Like x 1
    10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    11. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      don't bother ,they'll only test these damned 8 frequencies out of 20000 and will tell you that your hearing is fine.

usual blah blah :)

12. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      U r right these normal sounds have again done the damage ...went for a walk to the sports complex ....they usually put on a siren at cut off time ,this time the siren rang when I was just 20 feet away and it was like super loud and this morning I woke up with a brand new spike in my t ....this one is real loud and has a different kind of sound I only hope that it is a temprorary spike , wonder how long it will last it is a screeching sound in both ears ...it was just 20 secs of exposure may be less because I put my fingers in my ears ...does every one get these spikes .my previous ones have got sorted but they were all with protection this is the first unprotected exposure . I hope this is not what u call an acoustic trauma ...

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Y
      Yeah got frequencies checked even after 8 k ...they r all down .......my graph has a steep slope after 8 k ...........12 k onwards is fully gone .....

14. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      That will happen. Those of us with T often have more of a sensitivity to louder sounds that will cause a spike. I get it plenty. The siren is probably very loud, so that short exposure is enough to put your ears into defensive mode, contract the muscles, muffle external sound, make you hear the T louder and cause the spike (not very technical there, but that's the quick explanation). It's most probably not an acoustic trauma, just your natural defence against noise - I would guess that the siren wouldn't be loud enough to cause instant damage.

It will go down, I generally find mine lasts the day out and reduces after I sleep. Keep away from loud noises to help it reduce back down.

15. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
    16. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I am 44 years old. Up to 6 khz, everything is normal. 6 khz onwards go down. At 10 khz, it goes down to 40 db in right ear and 50 db in left ear. Above 10 khz was not tested.

So the graph perfectly reflects my age-related hearing loss.
      T is high pitched in my head caused by stress/burnout.
      They gave me hearing aids to catch more external sounds.
      Still on the way to habituation.

I also don't think that sudden loud noise for short time damages your hearing.

17. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
    18. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      good to hear you're getting back in the swing of things! you've already won an important battle - you told your T. to basically go screw off!

19. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
    20. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I dont see why one is more prone to falling down from the balcony because he has tinnitus. Maybe if he had inner ear related balance problems, but since he had consumed alcohol that may have been the reason. I dont see the connection with tinnitus here.

21. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      I was puzzled about that too (T and its effect on balance); my audiologist said it is essentially due to hearing loss (or more precisely, the hearing loss differential between the left/right ear) resulting in a fluid imbalance (or differential) because one ear is straining more than the other -- therefore, it introduces an error in the balancing mechanism (inner ear). If it gets severe enough, the individual is unable to correct the error via cognitive efforts.

T is a symptom of hearing loss; so at best it would be correlative vs causative regarding balance.

At least that's how it was explained to me; but I'm no doc.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      its true but I suppose the author of the article should have explained it :) Tinnitus itsself doesnt really cause anything. I suppose he wasnt very well informed. I can already imagine people with tinnitus imagne that one day they are gonna fall own somewhere and die:D Maybe that how the memorization theory started...

23. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Thanks Steve ....the spike is slightly better but hasn't gone down fully ... Had an alprax. Before going to bed , it did make a slight diffrance ... Just one more thing I need to ask since u have had tinnitus for the last nine years. .. Do u go for parties where there is loud music playing .. How loud is too loud if one wears protection ....what precautions should one take if one has to go In order to meet social obligation s...here there are many house parties I am invited too ....every alternate day something or the other is going on ... Each of these events have loud music playing ..what do u think I can or should do to prevent further damage. Not going is not an option as I want to live a normal life , and here people don't understand the issue as literally no one has heard of tinnitus .and I by not going ,will increase my tinnitus awareness and cause furthere depression ...

24. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In the past 20 years since I developed mild T I have gone to many clubs and concerts (not terribly loud ones mind you) using 22 dB silicone ear plugs. 15 years ago went to some dance clubs (~90-95 dB ?) nearly every weekend each summer for a few years. 10 years ago attended concerts (~100 dB ?) a couple of times each summer. I never perceived any spikes in T all this time. Of course I've had one recently, though an ENT says it is unlikely related to my time in a loud place with protection.

A cautious approach might involve the following: Take a good look at tables which show loudness for different noise sources like chain saw, concerts, etc. Get an idea of typical dB levels. Perhaps buy a good noise meter and carry it with you along with some really good ear plugs, say over 30 dB attenuation. After you've recovered from this spike, and assuming you do, start with very brief exposures with the hearing protection and see how it goes. There are always risks, so the safest approach is to avoid any place with noise level greater than say 75 dB.

Just my 2 cents...

25. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      I do agree with you, with appropriate ear protection nothing bad will happen, i've always been in many venues(at least twice a week since 6 years) with earplugs exept the one without which brought tinnitus as a reward...

Since onset i've been to clubs twice, tinnitus is louder after that but that's because of alcohol, if i stay home and drink, the loundness is exactly the same as after clubbing.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Thanks Michael .....tomm in india we celebrate holi.....it's a festival of colour , intoxication and lot of noise ....noise through dj music coupled with loud dhol sounds they r the Indian drum beats ...the whole country is going to be participating in the revelry ... Let's c how I manage will have to wear silicon ear plugs since the foam ear plugs will get drenched with water ...there doesn't seem to be any one here suffering from tinnitus , no one seems to understand my position and my phonophobia. , so will have to indulge ....

27. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      My first two years of tinnitus I really didn't bother ..I have had almost a 100 exposures leading a normal life , but since a few months ago I perceived higher tinnitus base volume , and a spike lasting several days with every exposure ....

28. FrankTheTank
      Arsewit

FrankTheTank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      '89
      I dont go out alot anymore, mostly spend my nights drinkin and singin along to rootin tunes, I used to go huntin with the boy but now he thinks I'm pathetic and he makes fun of me, he calls me fat and bald. but nope dont get out much lost all my friends and family wont let me see the kids much anymore

29. Luke

Luke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Just wanted to share a pair of ear plugs I discovered on the american tinnitus association website store. I decided to purchase this particular pair after seeing that the amazon.com reviews are great. I've used the same pair of these ear plugs for the past 4 months, almost 5 days a week and up to 5 hours a day at my part-time noisy warehouse job. They've worked great for me, although I'm planning to buy a new pair after 4 months of heavy use (pretty great timespan if you ask me!). They're hardly visible, easy to clean and reuse, and my T has not worsened in the slightest since I began using them back when I started my noisy job:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VETQHQ/?tag=tinntalk-20

30. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:

I can't locate any information for the NRR of these earplugs. Those with T should be cautious about placing their trust in the attenuation capacity of any product that does not list the NNR over a range of frequencies, IMHO.