I Don't Know How to Live Like This for the Rest of My Life...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Scantraxx911, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Scantraxx911

Scantraxx911 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey guys, I'm new here. I've never had a good hearing in particular, I've always had hard time understanding when someone was whispering to me in class and I've literally could not make one conversation with those quiet girls that never raise their voice above a certain level.. people always told me to stop screaming when I wasn't by my standard.

And I think I actually have had Tinnitus for most of my life, if not all of it, I think. I remember that I was never comfortable when it was silent, I always had to turn on the TV or play some music on my headset when I was on the PC, the quiet would drive me mad. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

But in any case in the past few weeks I've started noticing it, and wow this is just awful. Now the discomfort that would go away when I put on some music had turned into torture. I haven't even went to the doctor, since I'm still waiting the appointment, though I am very pessimist from the threads around here.. in-curability seems to be the norm of this condition.

I can't read books because the noise drives me mad, I can only listen to podcast though now I have having trouble with that as well, I can't concentrate in quiet at all anymore. This is not a mere discomfort anymore. I wanted to be a Ph.d someday... how can I continue learning more and more if I can't sit in a room without going mad over this high frequency annoying noise..

I have tried some of these tinnitus "masking" and all of these videos on YT, they don't seem to help me very much. How do you go on? How can you make it less bad?

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hello Scantraxx911,

Welcome to the site.

From reading your message, it sounds like you have had tinnitus for a while, but just accepted it and paid no attention to it until now, when you are focusing more on it. My thinking is that whatever you did before (ie. ignoring it) should work now. The more anxious, angry, irritated, stressed, sleep-deprived, and upset you become, the more you will notice it. Here is the logic: the less you focus on tinnitus, the less you will detect it.

My advice to you is to enjoy life! Do whatever makes you happy! Only thing you need to to is to protect your hearing (ie. concerts, clubs, or anywhere else where there is constant loud noise).

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scantraxx911

Scantraxx911 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It is so loud in the silence.. but I do try to ignore it when listening to stuff, there I can manage it a lot better. And I have scheduled an appointment, hopefully something that when removed heals this tinnitus

• Hug Hug x 2