I End Up Regretting Just About Every Attempt to Socialize Because of Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Apr 5, 2019.

1. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      I have hyperacusis also going on from internal sounds exacerbating my severe Tinnitus, like they feed off one another. Does anyone else have this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Well at least I'm an introvert so I don't mind missing social events so much!

But as I said to you in chat, having to miss school prizegivings etc is hard. And I'm a musician, so I miss being able to play and perform my music.

I'd willingly keep my tinnitus at it's baseline level before my last spike, if I could just get rid of the H in order to stop the T reacting all the time.

3. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello. Athens Greece here

4. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      What hobbies do you have now?

5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Not really much. Just trying to get through the day. I watch a lot of movies and series lately.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Dayum, sorry, Switzerland here. =/

7. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Yep. They definitely exert influence on one another. I have something similar.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      LOL What made you think of this? I'm impressed with those who do prrrrrrrrrT! I imagine his peeve had to do with bending his precious cards? At least shuffling doesn't hurt T/H, but adrenaline spikes from playing could.

9. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      It is not my father's pet peeve. It is the international rules of bridge tournaments. It's the noise snapping and flipping through the deck makes. Take 24 tables of bridge all snapping and flipping cards in a tournament. It would be loud, and to some irritating and distracting. Bridge is an older persons game (not always, but there are a lot of seniors playing) so perhaps hearing sensitivity also plays into it. I did not say it bothered my father...

10. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Thanks for clarifying and my apologies. I had in mind a one-to-one or small group scenario. I had no idea of this ruling, and makes perfect logical sense in tournaments.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does anyone else get delayed spikes after noise exposure? I had a quiet weekend after the noisy day on Thursday and my T didn't seem any worse, but today it's louder.

That's how it usually is for me, spikes aren't immediate, but they are delayed. With my original acoustic trauma I knew something was wrong with my hearing but the loud T didn't set in until three days later.

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Perhaps there is a process similar to the delayed symptoms related to muscular stress: you spend a day skiing, but the soreness shows up the next day!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I always attributed it to glutamate excitotoxicity, but I really don't know.

• Useful Useful x 1
    14. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      This info. is useful. Thx! It is a problematic for those who are unable to gain access to these few facilities. I had read about tympanic patching, which seems to be an easy procedure and a bit alike the blu-tak concept? I believe the goal was to thicken or weigh down the TM from vibrating as much and only came across a few reviews. The reinforcement surgery seems to have more promising results, specifically for those with H, but no change or any reduction for T. Any in the Fb group you mentioned suffer with T? or primarily with H? Do you have T or is it an on/off tolerable type?

15. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      It's possible. It's horrifying to know of the many issues occurring in our foods that's impacting our health...even with organic.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's not necessarily food. Glutamate excitotoxicity can be brought on by sound exposure and can cause death to the cochlear synapses. This effect isn't always immediate either. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812055/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I can understand. For me the brai3n clinic is a 2.5 hour car ride away, so it's doable. Though, I'm having the worst setback for H I've ever had. That 2.5 hour car ride is virtually impossible at this moment in time. I've had chronic earpain and LDLs as high as 30 dB for a few days now.

On their site they explained that the tympanic membrane is where a lot of nerves anastomose, and that tympanic patching can exert its influence on particular nerves in the tympanic membrane. Not sure about the underlying mechanism, but I emailed them about it cause I wanted to know. I have not received an answer yet. I can keep you posted if you'd like.

I think the reinforcement surgery is by far the best option we have. Lots of people in the fb group have reported amazing results, so I'm eager to try it myself somewhere in the future. Yeah, I recall someone asking whether it could potentially worsen the T. So far there was one person who said that "his T was still buzzing after the surgery". I think a lot of people in that group suffer from T btw, though the group mainly discusses H and the reinforcement surgery.

I have both semi bad T and (at the moment) pretty extreme H.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No, I lost hearing from very loud noises that could harm anyone in the long run, some people faster than others, there always levels of individual sensitivity to noise.

The average noise level in my job is around 80 dbs and I am struggling with it. I do need a change, this is killing my ears.

19. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That happens with earplugs, but one has to make the best choice in terms of hearing conservation, to wear them or not. There are no perfect solutions.

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I will try them! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's been a week since the air packets incident. T is a little bit louder but not outside the normal range. The more disturbing thing is I keep getting more frequent 'fleeting T' in my left ear, and it lasts for quite a while. The hearing drops out unilaterally followed by a very loud ringing then it fades into the background after a few minutes.

I have always wondered what the cause of fleeting T is, one theory I had was it was caused by synapses dying off and the brain re-calibrating / adjusting to it.

• Agree Agree x 1