I Have 12 Months to Recover from Tinnitus: What Treatments Can I Try? Budget $450,000.

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Sep 14, 2020.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      My tinnitus is much worse than my hyperacusis. In silence it expands to be a terrible hallucinogenic experience. Definitely cannot tolerate silence right now in any form.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi linearB.

Can you tell a bit more about your experience with UMich? "I think it worked" doesn't sound too convincing if you'll pardon my brutality. Were you in the placebo group and did you just get the impression that it worked from talking to other participants?

Thanks!

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

destroy all creatures. they cannot be regenerated.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was crossover design, so everyone got both the placebo and real treatment at different times.

They have since published their results which are pretty equivocal. I probably sounded a lot more enthusiastic about the thing when it was closer in mind; my life priorities have changed a lot. If you look at my posts in the UMich Bimodal thread in the Research News subforum, from the timeframe of ~2/1/2016 - 6/1/2016, then you can see what I had to say about it at the time.

No one is a good objective witness of their own life experience, except maybe the Dalai Lama, so "I think it worked" is the strongest statement I can reasonably make. I could tell you I believe that, but, the thing is, I don't see myself as someone who has "beliefs" per se. I have a set of facts I believe to be true, until more data shows me otherwise, and then I have a set of things which I think are true, based on those facts, which are even blurrier. I think having "beliefs" is actually a pretty dangerous thing to do and contrary to a scientific view of the world that's subject to constant self-scrutiny and change in the face of changing information.

Their published data should be a hell of a lot more persuasive than anything I have to say, though :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Very insightful.

I would add that complicating any conclusions we might make about ourselves is our inability to compare ourselves on a particular treatment with ourselves not on that treatment during the same timeline.

We typically conclude, because of X, therefore Y ("I took this drug, I felt better"), when X might have nothing to do with Y, and the simple passage of time might've been the responsible agent for all we know.

It's the old post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, just because something follows something else doesn't mean it was caused by it (although it may appear so).

I keep that in mind as I read this forum. Someone says "I did this thing which caused this other thing to happen." In fact, hard to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. weab00
      Alone

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, whiplash; 08/20 H
      We already have a few positive anecdotes about the UoM device, which makes me hopeful for Phase 2 results.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

destroy all creatures. they cannot be regenerated.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I totally agree. Even though in my case I'd had bad tinnitus for a decade and it seemed like a night and day difference... I was pretty careful, as I recall, not to post anything too dramatic until the results of the study were out.

Once it was unblinded, it was clear that not only did I report a subjective improvement in my tinnitus... I actually also experienced an objective decrease in volume, as measured carefully in lab. Also, everyone who seemed to respond to the treatments (which was the majority) showed this correspondence, I believe, between relief and objective volume reduction.

All those caveats aside... Yes, my personal anecdote is subject to placebo bias please read the full texts :)

7. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      How long after your tinnitus onset did you start LLLT?

Some people here say it would only be effective if you did LLLT in the the acute phase (that means max 3 months in...)

Thank you!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      I started under 3 months but it always spiked me so couldn’t continue.