I Have 12 Months to Recover from Tinnitus: What Treatments Can I Try? Budget $450,000.

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Bob1234

Bob1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      I am in a high-pressure technical position for a Fortune 50 company. I am running again, I meditate - something I have never done before. The key to me seems to be to get a good nights sleep. So yeah I in some ways tinnitus is forcing me to make healthier choices. I still have days where I where I don't sleep well and struggle a lot though. But I cope.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      @GBB, I noticed you tried many possible solutions. Can you please list them and advise what has worked for you?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      @GBB, hope you’re getting by with at least some improvement these days.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. kmt

kmt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      How are you doing now?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I am on Keppra/Lamictal and Pramipexole now. I've regained a lot of agency (I can shower and drive for short bursts, and listen to tv/music without any concern at all). House fans still seem to trigger spikes for me.

Lamictal in particular seemed help.

Still debating if I can take more demanding jobs but many days are more enjoyable now.

Sleep remains a hard aspect to manage as I still need drugs (Mirtazapine) and I hate being woken up by my tinnitus every single morning, and often require afternoon naps, which are also shallow in quality due to the noise.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Are you still on Nortriptyline as well?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I dropped that. It didn't seem to have any effect for me.

• Like Like x 1
    8. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Did you end up going to StemCells21? I also have pain hyperacusis plus tinnitus and am probably going to go to StemCells21 as soon as I recover a little from this current setback.

9. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I didn't find any effect from it either but am starting it again now just because I'm going through a bad setback.

What did you make of the peptides you tried in the past?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      None helped unfortunately - I can’t recommend them.

11. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      @GBB, you say you can listen to music and TV now. How long, from onset, were you able to do this?

Also, did your sound distortions subside? Does music sound ok?

12. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've been taking BPC-157 and TB-500 orally for 3 or 4 days now and haven't noticed anything except my ankle injury being better. I ordered Epithalan, Pinealon, Semax and P21 to try out too. I don't have high hopes for them to be honest.

Actually the pain in my ear is a lot better now but it was getting better normally anyway so it's very hard to tell if the peptides helped or not. I do think there's a good chance the BPC-157 and TB-500 could help with my TTTS since that's partly a muscle issue. And maybe that's what was causing some of the pain too.

13. Letsgetbetter

Letsgetbetter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2022 - March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud band
      Those are not your two options -- get this high paid job - or go drug yourself in a tiny home.

You should choose the middle route, you will try to do this job, if you can't, you will adapt and do some other job that works for you and you will be alright either way, you are never going to drug yourself to deal.

Also, don't spend money on tinnitus, it won't help. Maybe a few hundred or thousand, but in general you need to accept and move on and get healthy.

14. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      The post you are replying to is 2 years old.

15. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Any improvement in your tinnitus from the other supplements?

16. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It's mostly the same really so far, but the supplements are making my mood way better, kind of like a mild antidepressant, so I'm coping very well. I still hear the tinnitus but am just less bothered by it most of the time.

Not being stressed out means the tinnitus doesn't spiral out of control.

My tinnitus varies massively even on its own, so it's very hard to say if something is working.

A lot of the supplements I'm taking can take up to a month to take effect so it's still too early to tell. I might be taking too much at once as well but not sure how to go about it.

Also, some of the supplements I'm taking increase my focus massively so that helps me keep distracted from the tinnitus.

If it doesn't get louder, I can probably deal with it fine. Need to avoid the ear pain which is more difficult for me.

• Like Like x 2
    17. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Hey @GBB. I caught up with your story, so sorry man. Heartbreaking.

I know you returned to remote work 2 years ago, and holding it together. How are you now? Have you managed to get any improvement? Still using Keppra and/or Pramipexole?

18. Michael_

Michael_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @GBB, were you 100% cured the first time you had tinnitus? Did you ever end up trying HBOT the second time around?

19. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I have this exact same thing!

It's one of the first times I've seen it come across here on Tinnitus Talk. For me the sound is more like a light sabre, but when I look left or right, that light sabre is now swooshing through the air (faster and louder).

It's not there all the time but probably more so when I am very tired.

Do you still have this?

I have been getting eye lid spasms, and spasms around my eyes, throat and chest. I assume these spasms contribute to this effect, but I haven't seen many case studies of it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Absolutely true.

All you need to know:

1) Tinnitus rarely goes away
      2) Stress is major contributor or exacerbator
      3) Nobody has a cure
      4) Your perception of it gets better with time

• Like Like x 1
    21. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      A brain implant.

• Genius Genius x 1
    22. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      1) Correct, it rarely goes away, and usually gets worse over time.
      2) Stress / anxiety makes no difference for some of us on tinnitus intensity.
      3) Correct. But there may be a treatment available (the Dr. Shore device) within a year or two that provides 6 dB or more reduction.
      4) I perceive it as worse over time because it has gotten worse over more than 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm not sure mine could be any louder, but the amount of distress it causes me has decreased a lot over the years. I just surrendered to it and stopped caring. I've had it about 9 years now, and the first 6 were pretty bad, for sure. I know a number of people now that have it and they all say pretty much the same thing. What is amazing is how many people have it, but don't post on the internet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    24. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      There is nothing that says it usually gets worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      Well, not too amazing. I was one of those people who had it for 20 years before I ever posted. Most cases are mild, as mine used to be, and various family members and friends I've talked to. But over time, it usually just gets worse and worse until it causes distress when it gets bad enough, whether or not I'm thinking about it. Most people's will remain much more mild, despite worsening over time, so they won't bother posting, as I never used to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It is rife. A good proportion of my students have it with a few of them having a bad case. The worst ones I know of currently have a history of going to loads of gigs. What I find fascinating is that they still go to loud concerts. One of them recently told me that he couldn't hear properly for 5 days following a gig about a year ago, and then in the next breath said he’s got another of his favourite bands booked for next month! It blows my mind. I asked him about his tinnitus and he said it's pretty deafening, and what he described sounded like a severe case. I'd say he's gotta be in his 60s. Another of the bad cases I've spoken to is a bin lorry driver.
      I first noticed my tinnitus when I was around 18 or so, so that would have been around the year 2000 or so. In my case, I habituated in a matter of weeks, but I still remember reading guitar magazines and hearing the ringing and wondering if this will ever go away. Then I remember thinking, when Chris Martin spoke about his tinnitus in the media years later, yea, I've still got that. I've talked about this on here before.

Then, when I was about 32, in 2015, mine suddenly became severe and it destroyed my life. It made me quit my band, and I became really down and depressed. However, over the course of time, I found myself largely ignoring it again. This is no guarantee of how everyone else should react to their tinnitus, but it seems to be by far the most common outcome for the vast majority of people.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      How long did it take for you to start ignoring tinnitus? And do you live a normal life now? Can you go to gigs with hearing protection and sports events and such?

28. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      Extremely sad, but true.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It's a difficult process as there are days where you think you're finally moving on, and then the next day is a catastrophe. This seems to repeat many, many, many times over; it's a ridiculous back-and-forth minefield. I also had lots of setbacks from instances of trauma, and looking back, it's near impossible to separate real traumatic events (such as an MRI scan I had) from psychological ones where the spike is almost certainly caused by the fear and anxiety of an event happening (such as a kid screaming nearby, or dropping a plate on a hard floor, etc).

The short of it is that there appears to be no defined timeline. Everyone needs to go through their own process that involves grieving your loss of silence (and livelihood in a lot of cases).

I think 3 years is a good starting point, but the longer it goes on, the more resilient you are most likely to become. My tinnitus hasn’t changed, but for most of the day, I don’t pay attention to it in the slightest. In other words, it has no impact on me at all. This doesn’t mean I’m totally out of the woods, however, as there’s always that lingering risk that something could mess my ears up again and set me back to square one.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I would say tinnitus rarely goes away for those of us who are on this website for a long time because there are millions of people attending loud events (concerts, sporting events, ...) who get short-lived tinnitus. They are lucky that it goes away for them.

I have also seen many people who, no matter what they do, never end up with tinnitus! And those people never join us here!

• Like Like x 1