I HAVE to Go to Disneyland, What Do I Do!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zeneth, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      For Christmas my parents surprised us with Disneyland and I can't decline because that would be horrible, what do I do?! I heard it's so loud and I have ETD. Will the pressure change on big rides effect that? What do I do!? I'm so scared!

Edit: and what about the occlusion effect? What if I yell or scream on the rides won't that hurt my ears?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Get yourself some good earplugs and enjoy!!! You bet when you immerse in the joy of the festivities, you may not hear your T. Distraction and let the brain focus on highly happy things always help. If you don't feel good on the big rides, perhaps go with the more gentle ones. But do enjoy your holidays. Merry Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Do you know what type of earplugs I should wear? Foam? silicon? I also have these things called "Earplanes"they are meant for airplanes

4. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Why do you have to go?

What if your tinnitus goes worse... never settling again? Don't come complaining then because you caused it to yourself.

5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Go to Disneyland but wear proper hearing protection at all times whilst your there,don't go into obvious loud environments and stay away from the roller coasters.

Just admire the place and take in the sights and this way you can have a family holiday together and not put pressure on your ears,it's going to be loud there but with proper hearing protection in an open environment you shouldn't do any damage.

Now this is only a suggestion,nobody here can quarantee what will happen,personally if it were me I'd just stay at home.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      When I had my T initially, I bought $200 worth of assortment of them to be ready for all situations. Lol. Earplugs are rated by the dBs of protection. Get the maximum ones, and also get the musician type which will block the high range but allow in the normal sounds. You will be the best judge what your ears can take. If you have H too, then surely you want to max protection for loud places.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I'm 13, I can't stay home alone, and it was a surprise trip...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      my family seems like they are gonna force me on the roller coasters, especially tower of terror because it shuts down forever soon

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I'm more worried about pressure problems in my ears because ETD was one of the causes of my T, tower of terror which I may have to go on has a 199ft sudden drop!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I know they paid a lot for this and I don't want to seem ungrateful, they just dont understand! :(

11. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Talk to them. COMMUNICATION!

Explain your health problems to them. They will understand. No parent will ever force their kid to do something that will make their condition worse. But they might if you don't explain the situation to them!

Edit: I'm a total opposite of a "social person" but I keep seeing this reoccurring problem people have - they forget about magical power of communication. Talking to people, making words leave your mouth at appropriate volume. This works wonders and solves most of "relationship problems" people have.

People are nice (except my ex lol) and very rarely want conflict. You can usually work out a solution to any problem, as long as all sides involved elaborate they needs and don't hide bad feeling. It's not a trivial task though!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Don't do it its that simple,don't let others decide your fate for you just because they make you feel bad about it.

Are they going to feel bad when your screaming with insane T?All because of a roller coaster that you didn't actually have to go on?
      Explain to them that it's a no go,if they can't accept that put your foot down and refuse to give in,it's your health not theirs we're talking about here.

Trust me,I gave into pressure once before and payed heavily for it,I was guilted into going somewhere loud and I never would have done it otherwise.
      They didn't have any issues and I suffered,so ask yourself who came out winning in all this?

13. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      You don't have to do anything. And I'm sure your parents won't force to do anything when you explain possible, life-ruining consequences. You won't seem ungrateful!

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Thank your for the motivation, the sad part is that I REALLY do want to go! I've never been in tower of terror and I will never be on it again if I miss this. I guess it's better to keep my ears safe though...

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Yes I will talk with them about it :)

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      If anyone has had experience with roller coasters and T I'd like to know the outcome

17. Adin
      Inspired

Adin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/07/30
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably tmj
      Ofcourse you should go! I bet you'll have a blast. :) Just be sure to wear earplugs if you find the volume in a certain area loud and download a decibel meter on your phone to know what areas exceed 85db and what areas are safe. Ofcourse there is no guarantee your tinnitus will not rise. But i'd say the odds are pretty slim of it happening as long as you stay on your watch. Don't let your symptoms control your life and try to have as much fun as you possibly can (in safe amounts ofcourse ;) )

• Like Like x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Thanks, I'll definitely wear earplugs, but I also have ETD so my ears have a hard time dealing with pressure and I don't know if certain earplugs will block pressure or something like that

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @Zeneth,

As someone whose tinnitus has gotten worse over time, going from easily maskable to hardly maskable (except for shower etc), I do not think any amusement park experience is worth the potential cost of having to live with a piercing and unremitting ringing in the ears.

I would therefore urge caution.

You are very young. I hardly remember being your age, feels like a life time ago, but I do remember those amusement park rides and I did enjoy them a lot.

I'm not surprised you want to experience them, most 13-year-olds probably would.

I do not know what the outcome of this will be. For all we know, your ears might be fine when you come back home. Or you might experience a temporary spike. Or things could become worse for good.

Let's assume there was only a very minor chance of things becoming worse permanently (which I think is the case if you remember proper hearing protection, but don't take my word for it, it's only my gut feeling).

If you put that slight possibility on one end of the scale, and seeing through this amusement park experience on the other end of the scale, which will you pick?

Are you willing to take that minor risk of permanent worsening of your tinnitus for the short-term experience of fun?

Thing is, you cannot live your life through fear. It's no good living in a box and not do fun stuff because of fear.

But... you can also have fun doing other stuff that carry absolutely no appreciable risk for any detriment to your hearing or tinnitus.

It's a tough choice, and not something a 13-yo should make. I feel bad you're having to deal with this kind of stuff at your age.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Thanks for your thoughts, I think I'm going to be very careful and not go on huge rides with big pressure changes... Also, I've had T for 7 months and it's gone from extremely mild and easily Maskable to not extremely bad, but I can hear it a lot more often and during my day (use to only hear at night) I've had some positive comments before saying because of my such young the age, the cure will be in my lifetime... Hopefully haha

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I go quite a bit to disneyland and did when my hyperacusis was bothering me. Disneyland isn't that much of a thrill ride place. Yes you have one roller coaster and the tower of terror. I think it's fine if you stay away from those. Get some good ear plugs for the rest of the time, there will be fire works at 9:20 pm (usually that is the time). But yes not a ton of rides that people are shrieking a lot. There also aren't a ton of rides with tons of pressure changes.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      That's for sure. By the time you're 25-30, you'll be partly fixed at least ! At 40, you'll be brand new.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Hopefully haha, but RIP my childhood if this gets worse because it's already bad enough

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I'm going to the one in Anaheim, is that the one you've been to? And btw my biggest a worry is Tower Of Terror because my family will be so upset if I don't go on it with them

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Thank you all so much for the help and support, I've decided I'm going to go with earplugs and still have fun, although I will skip the tower of terror :)

and after I do the rides I will share my experience incase anybody else ever needs to know if his worth it (still skipping tower of terror though)

26. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Don't go to this attraction if it worries you. They'll be happy to spend the rest of the day with you ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      The don't go on the tower of terror, full stop. No matter what your family thinks. It's worth upsetting your family for the sake of your health. You really don't want your tinnitus to get worse, and having their feelings hurt momentarily is not as bad as having a permanent siren in your head.

They'll get over their hurt feelings, whereas if you go you might get lasting damage. It's not worth it, and it's a good chance to learn to communicate with your parents and understand that you need to look out for yourself. Adults don't always know best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    28. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The decision is ultimately yours to make, but in my opinion family occasions like this are what memories are made of. I've been to Disney World in Florida and have also been on the tower of terror. In my opinion you won't have any eustachian tube problems. Mine play up a lot when pressure changes are involved, but I've never had them play up at a theme park in my life. The rides don't go high enough. This is just my personal experience though so I can't guarantee anything. As for the noise I'd tell your parents to get you some muffs, or earplugs to alleviate concern. If anything, I'm sure you could get some Mickey themed ones or something; you'd fit right in as most people at Disney have ears and other things stuck on their heads anyway.

Be brutally honest with your family, discuss your concerns and take it from there. Ask yourself if the thought of going excites you? Would not going be a big deal for you?

If you can't decide then try this: flip a coin and have heads as 'you're going' (but with protection!) and tails as you're not going. When you get the result, ask yourself if it makes you happy, or sad. This is usually the most honest answer you'll get from yourself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      The thing about tower of terror is that although it will be a memory it might not be a good one, even if I do end up going on it, the whole time I will just be worried about my ears

30. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm so glad you decided to go. Earplugs are your friend and I'm sure you will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1