I Hear the Crickets Too

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kristian Strom, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Kristian Strom

Kristian Strom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?
      Hello. My name is Kristian. I am not sure how long I have had tinnitus. If I had to guess, I would say it has been around 15 years or so. But honestly, it has been so long and I have gotten so used to having it that I don't remember what is was like to not have tinnitus.

I am a musician. I play in loud bands and I have done so for almost 20 years now. I used to never wear ear protection. I do now but the damage has already been done. I don't think I have experienced any permanent hearing damage or loss. It seems like my hearing is still very well intact. But I also hear a constant high pitch ringing noise. It is not very loud. I have not done the DB threshold test but I really only notice it at night or when my surroundings are pretty calm. My biggest worry about my condition is that it might get worse over time. Right now, I can tolerate it. But if it worsens, then who knows.

My tinnitus has not really been an issue for me yet (atleast, not that I am aware of). I've gotten very used to it and have basically ignored it for as long as I can remember. I am only now starting to get "curious" about what it is and what can be done to remedy it. I will say this though... I do have problems sleeping at night and I do get depressed occassionally. I have never figured out why I have these problems and am starting to wonder if maybe the tinnitus has something to do with it.

I am glad that I found this sight. Now that I am becoming more aware of the problem, I was actually starting to get worried about my situation. But after reading a lot of the info on these forums, it seems like worrying and stressing about it is probably one of the worst things you can do for your sanity. So I will just continue to ignore the condition and continue on with my days in a healthy manner but also try to educate myself about it as much as possible from here on out.

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hello Kristian!

You seem to have a good attitude I think about your tinnitus. And since the body doesn't normally have cricket sounds that we hear, it would be good to at least know why it is there. Our bodies are telling us something ... could be trapped emotions or a physical issue that is not readily evident.

some people have found a bit of relief through supplements and masking sounds. You can check out other suggestions here. I am having some success with cymatics - tones that researchers found of healthy cells. I am keeping rack of my progress here while I am doing the CD.

Be well!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kristian Strom

Kristian Strom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?
      Hello Calin. Thanks for the response. So I am wondering how it is possible to find out what exactly is causing my tinnitus? I have read some posts suggesting a visit to an ENT. I will look into that.

Any other suggestions on how to determine the root of the problem? I am sure it is not easy.

Thanks.

4. bob

bob Member

I would go to a ENT first if you have good health insurance. Went last Friday total bill was 340 dollars fhor hearing test and check up but I have 15 dollar co-pay so I got by very cheap. Had mine for about 15 years, could swear gets worse in the winter time here in West Central Ohio.

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Kristian,

I agree with bob....

Mine started around 2-3 months ago. I went to an audiologist - could have sworn I had a hearing loss and that was the problem. Nope! I then hoped I had too much ear wax... nope! I have more on the ENT visit and audiologist on my thread for UST.

Many people in forums that I have seen have been to ENTs and had MRIs done. Most are told they have to live with it. Since mine is a pulsating high tone, the ENT wants more tests as it could be vascular tinnitus.

I had an MD tell me his tinnitus was looked into and they found a tumor. After the removal, he still had tinnitus. Bummer! I told him about the UST cd and he said he will look into it. He has no where else to go I guess. He seemed open to it. He works in surgical at the local county hospital so I would think he knows more than most about tinnitus. He also knew the ENT doctor that I was sent to. He said he had about 10 MRIs.

It's interesting how many people I am running into that has tinnitus. All different stories and tinnitus symptoms.