I Heard Silence for 10 Seconds — Has Anyone Experienced That?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack23, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      I wanted to post about an interesting experience that I recently had.

I was sitting in my room doing some work on computer with earplugs on and all I hear was my tinnitus sound. Suddenly I had hearing loss in the right ear, you know it happens sometimes, your ear suddenly goes off and comes back within very short time. When this happened my tinnitus sound went away completely with the hearing. I suddenly realised there was no tinnitus in my right ear and it was dead silence. I heard the silence and I remembered how it was before tinnitus. It also made me realise how loud my tinnitus is. But sadly, it came back gradually with the hearing after 10 seconds...

After this experience I started to think that if this thing can be stopped fully by something that my body did, we can also stop it completely if we can fully understand the mechanism behind. I was thinking maybe it's something more complex, generated in more than one area in the brain and it's impossible to stop this, but after this experience my thoughts completely changed. It's definitely in the ear, or within the connections between hair-cells and the brain.

Also to add, I also had sudden hearing loss before but when it happened I was having sudden tinnitus with it and it was gone when hearing came back, but this experience was reverse.

Has anyone experienced similar thing?

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    3. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I've had this, but it's always followed by a piercing fleeting tinnitus tone. I've had this very randomly, and only a few times, only after the onset of my tinnitus.

I've woken up to silence three or four times too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      This is very interesting. I personally have not experienced this for the two years since tinnitus. Although I try to mask my tinnitus most of the time with background noise and haven't noticed this.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      Yes, definitely like this, just saw this topic on the form will have a detailed look.

Interestingly I had the same thing today my right ear went silent for couple seconds and my tinnitus was gone again then followed by piercing tinnitus which then fade away and afterwards my main tinnitus take the place back. I heard the silence again for couple seconds, it's insane... If our body can achieve that somehow, I believe it's possible to imitate that. At least it proves that tinnitus is not as chronic as we believe (I got it both from noise + ototoxic medication).