I Think I Am Starting to Get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I Live in the Northern Hemisphere.

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Nov 3, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      The days are getting shorter and already, I am having an increase of depression. I will lose an hour in the evening when the clock is is turned back an hour which could cause more problems. August was a great month for me. October was erratic. Anyone else have this? What do you do? I have had this before and it is a shame because I was habituating to tinnitus more. Tinnitus hasn't bothered me too much in the past 2 weeks but my energy has been erratic and some flare ups of depression have not been fun. Any suggestions?

Here is something else I would be interested in getting feedback on. I saw that some people take Melatonin in the morning or at the afternoon depending on certain characteristics. Anyone try this? I also did not see a specific time. Morning and afternoon seem very vague. I also want to add that really bright lights lately inside a building after it has gotten dark has bothered me. Maybe its just a coincidence lately, but has anyone else felt that way before?

2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You should take melatonin at night, before sleep...!

3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Melatonin makes me depressed, I suggest taking a walk before sleep, even better is going to the public pool.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yeah, I totally understand that. I can see how it can make some people depressed. Most of the time with me (at least in the past) it has calmed me down and if I get on a roll, I can have some good mood stabilization with it. I think I might have some kind of circadian rhythm disorder. That's probably what my problem was to begin with and maybe I could have avoided all this anti depressant crap in my past (or at least most of it). It is interesting how hormones affect people differently.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Have a look on the internet about Himalayan salt lamps.
      ...real mood lifters with a calming effect for dark mornings and evenings...

Will take a picture of mine and post it below...

lots of love glynis

20161104_160908.jpg 20161104_161222.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Oh wow that looks nice @glynis. I wonder if Amazon sells them.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes they do Sam.

lots of love glynis

8. Konstadinos

Konstadinos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (diagnosed with ETD, TMJD and Straigtened Neck)
      I have SAD among with OCD, summer, nice temerature (35 celsius) sea sun, the smell of suncream makes feel alive. From september and for the whole winter I have very low energy and feel sleepy.

9. Haroldpfeiffer

Haroldpfeiffer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Is anyone else having trouble with seasonal affective disorder? Any tips for making it better?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Things you guys might want to try:

1) A SAD lamp in the morning. I'm not sure if you can use it in the early afternoon or not but you're not supposed to in the evening. From what I have read, it needs to be 10,000 lux to work. You would probably need to read the instructions to find out how best to use it as I am no an expert but I have read reviews on Amazon and many people seem to have liked them.

2) Omega 3 fatty acids. I used flaxseed oil before which worked great for me a long time ago and then this year I'm experimenting with fish oil. So far it has really helped but I'm trying to figure out if I would do better if I took it twice a day instead of once (same amount, just divided into two doses). Also, for me it makes a difference if I take the Omega 3 in the morning or at night but I'm not sure if it would affect other people like that.