I Think I'm Developing Hyperacusis...

Discussion in 'Support' started by ZentronFrye, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ZentronFrye

ZentronFrye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud movie (plus years of in-ear headphone use)
      Hello!

I've had tinnitus for almost a month now (although beforehand, I'd had a quiet ringing for ages). The ringing is mostly in my left ear.

These past few days, I've found that everyone's been talking way too loud. I almost asked my roommate to keep it down before realizing that the problem may be with me.

My left ear (the one with the worse tinnitus) has become sensitive to louder noises. I don't feel the pain that everyone describes. It's more like a pressure. Like, as soon as a loud sound ends, I hear a single thump in my ear, as if something physical is happening. It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I imagine this can get quite worse. I'll try and see a doctor today.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Did it ever go away?

P.S. I'm in the middle of exam season, so maybe the stress is having an impact?

2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sounds like TTTS (Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZentronFrye

ZentronFrye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud movie (plus years of in-ear headphone use)
      Hmm. While reading up on TTTS, I came across this: "It's like a gust of wind, blowing in your ear whenever somebody speaks... but only for certain syllables", which is definitely what's happening to me.

Thanks lapidus!

4. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello @ZentronFrye,
      I think I have a similar symptom apart from T. But mine doesn't seem to be triggered always by sounds. Sometimes it gets random when I try to sleep. It's like a loud and sudden VVVVVVVV noise that fulls my ears for a second. It's scary! During the day also I feel a physical activity in my ears like the one you describe. I was thinking of TTTS. @lapidus can you direct me to more information? I also had a tymponometry test. My ENT didn't mention any findings... I should ask.

5. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Yea stress makes TTTS worse

6. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do a search for "TTS" or "Tensor Tympani" or something similiar in the search function on this site. There are dozens of threads about the subject with good info.

• Helpful Helpful x 1