I Thought Proper Ear Syringing by a Doctor Was Safe to Use?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mila9828, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey guys. Very worried girl here.

I got my left ear cleaned with a weird tube thingy (they used water pressure to take out the wax) even though I told them I was suffering from ringing.

Needless to say the water was PAINFUL and my ear rang like crazy :(

I’m now worried that I made my tinnitus permanent because I freaking thought earwax was causing the ringing.

Can someone please tell me if I’m going to be okay? The doctor knew I had tinnitus so it wouldn’t have made sense for them to use something that would hurt me right? I want to cry :/

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Mila9828 I read about your mild concussion from hitting head. You seem to be doing OK as your thoughts are organized with your postings. Advice would be to check in with your doctor if and when needed. Do you have monitoring appointments scheduled?

Syringing effects should settle down as most likely it just spiked your initial onset of tinnitus from hitting your head. Continue to be careful with extreme head movements, loud noise or sound devices placed to the ears. Be patient, as your tinnitus may take a few months to resolve, but you could see improvement sooner. I would read up on mild concussion care, but don't freak out because if you had a bad case of concussion you wouldn't be typing messages, but do be careful driving a car.

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Ear syringing is a barbaric and lazy practice that is way too dangerous to be used.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      So should I presume the worst then :/

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I want to add that I know people who have gotten this procedure done and we’re fine...?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hmm :/ I think I’ll be okay tbh

7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Why are you such a plonker? She’s coming here for “support” and also what you say is misleading. When members tell you that you are talking “shite” they aren’t wrong.

@Mila9828

He is talking about syringing that is rarely used these days because of the ‘dangers’ - that don’t happen often but do occur. However it sounds like you had ear irrigation that isn’t syringing what they used years ago. First of all, a doctor would determine if it was safe to irrigate it (if the ear wax is soft enough) - a good doctor wouldn’t irrigate it if it was hardened wax and inform you to use olive oil for a few days and then go back. Providing the wax is soft enough - ear irrigation is safe (not risk free - but rarely any medical procedure is). I would allow it to settle down before jumping to any conclusions. Google it and you will read horror stories that are in the minority from irrigation and also everybody here has tinnitus from mild to debilitating so it’s just going to fuel your anxiety as there are some that got theirs through this but like I said it’s a minority. (Millions have it done every year and a very small fraction get it this way). Also, microsuctioning is also quite safe (again but not risk free).

Many members here choose to get a manual ear wax removal using a special instrument as a precaution because we all understand here what living with tinnitus is like.

Hope it goes back to baseline for you and try not to worry too much!

8. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It was probably irrigation in this day and age. Oddly irrigation is sometimes referred to as syringing, but true syringing was a high risk procedure that has been largely abandoned, at least in the UK. Yes, earwax removal can spike tinnitus. The best thing to do is just stay calm and hopefully it will go back down or go away.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      How is the true procedure done if you don’t mind me asking? It was irrigation that was done actually.

10. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is my understanding that the water is forced in at very high pressure using a classic syringe, whereas with irrigation it is introduced more gently.

11. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As can be seen under my name on left side of page, my first onset of tinnitus was caused from ear syringing.

The difference between irrigation and syringing is to use a gentle spray, not a high pressure jet of water with repeated efforts.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/tin...ng-and-middle-ear-infections-whats-the-score/

From a mild concussion or hitting the back of the head, the ears can become sensitive and tinnitus can happen. This is where your focus should be at now. You should see improvement if you don't move your head to extremes in any direction. Be careful with loud sounds to the ears. Rest your ears. It's advised that with concussion to avoid the louder tone type hearing tests for a couple of months. If your concussion caused serious tinnitus issues, you would have acoustic shock (ASD/TTTS and hyperacusis. This obviously isn't so for you.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      First onset meaning it went away for you? Also, they used a spray bottle and a tube, is this what you’re referring to rather than a syringe which I assume would be about the same as a water-pick at high pressure?

13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My procedure included a water-pick where on the first attempt the device was set on high pressure. Several attempts with lower pressure was then done for wax removal, but it was still fairy loud.

I received hyperacusis and acoustic shock as well as tinnitus. The hyperacusis and ASD resolved after 1.5 years. Tinnitus remained, but it leveled off where I was able to live a normal live. Since, I received increase tinnitus, a somatic type from dental work.

Your ears would be sensitive from hitting the back of your head, even being ever so lightly - if tinnitus developed.
      Focus needs to be on monitoring your mild concussion with your doctor. Place into internet search - mild concussion with tinnitus. Articles will note that concussion tinnitus should resolve after a few months - and your ears were cleaned by spray and tube - not as worrisome - but your ears are sensitive from hitting your head. When reading these articles, focus on the do's and don't.

All should be good in a few months.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I lost my balance :(

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is important not to be deceived. The facts are that this procedure causes some people to get T. A safer alternative is getting your doctor to use manual tools to clean your ears (and softening the wax before your appointment). OP is not the only person who will be reading this. If the procedure is unsafe, letting OP and others know about it reduces the chance that they have that procedure performed on them in the future.

16. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Milia: I can't call judgement as to when to check with your doctor - now or on Monday, but do you have someone near that can help you with a judgement?

17. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ear suction is the only way to fly.