I Want to Be an Audio Engineer.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mollyk, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mollyk

mollyk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      birth
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I don't remember a time where I didn't hear ringing. I was born with hearing loss. I am 19 now, at school to become an audio producer. I am going to a new ENT today so hopefully I get answers.
      Can anyone describe silence to me?

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      You are asking an interesting question about silence. I think a lot about the concept of silence. After having tinnitus for ten years one might think that I've stopped using the word silence to describe a certain setting. But I do, and quite often too.

Of course to you, me and everyone else in this forum (I'll assume), silence is not present. The more you think about silence you realize that silence rarely exists anyone's life, even those without tinnitus. For instance a lot of people are unaware that they have mild tinnitus, but even that's not it. Sounds are always present. Even if you think it's silent, it rarely is. In reality there are very few places on earth that do not make a sound, if such place exists. Being a live human anywhere kind of eliminates silence.

So to me silence is being completely unaware and unaffected by present sounds. Sometimes I'm somewhere else in my mind and I completely block out both objective and subjective sounds. To me THAT is silence and if you have experienced that, you have in one way already experienced silence.

I guess what I fear is having a spike that will make it more difficult for me to have those moments of "silence". This is just me though. Everyone has their own opinion and I won't argue.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mollyk

mollyk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      birth
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Elinor I never thought of it that way. I like that idea. I think because of my career path I focus on sound or absence of sound, not the perception of it. Silence defined like that makes me feel a bit better about it.

4. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I agree , silence is a mental state , one that you take for granted , until.

• Like Like x 1