I Was Habituated — Nine Years Later, Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Headaches and Ear Pain Are Back

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by aura, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      No way, I think you have it way worse than me lol.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      How is yours getting worse? Maybe it’s just temporary from the cold. Mine got worse after a cold.

I have an eeee that goes on in each ear in the background. Then one reactive tone in each ear on top of that. It’s up and down daily with every other day being a not so bad up and down, vs a more intrusive up and down if that makes sense lol.

I too am trying to just ignore it but sometimes the pinging/whistling/buzzing I feel in my head become too much to ignore.

Still it’s moderate compared to you guys.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dr. Ioana Alexandra Vodă (Clinica Nova), Dr. David Lucian (Clinica Urechii)?

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So this was, this still is the worst day ever.

I had a terrible headache all day long.
      It feels like I have a sharp knife in my left ear.

And the main problem is that I have a new symptom.
      It's not ear related, but this is just as annoying.

I've been having all day long, NON STOP, a tingling and vibrating sensation in my left foot (the one with the accident).

Maybe it doesn't seem like a big deal comparing to what we have, but it's driving me insane because it's rhythmic, I have it every 4-5 seconds.
      It feels like I have an electrode on my foot that electrocutes me every 4-5 seconds.

I tried everything, but it doesn't stop.
      I think it's some kind of a nerve damage, maybe a nerve is pinched or something, but I just need it to take a break!
      It's like Chinese water torture.
      Just another thing that I can't control added to all of my problems.

@Steph1710, @Forever hopeful, have you experienced something similar?

• Hug Hug x 5
    5. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I’m sure I saw you with that guy in a store the other day? Or I could be imagining it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Sounds like a pinched nerve. I get an on/off vibration in my leg sometimes, probably from sitting so much.

I'm not sure breaking your foot would damage any nerves, but I had a lot of tingling and numbness in my finger when I all but cut it off several years ago. It took about 2 years for the nerves to regenerate and everything to go back to normal.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    7. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I’m sorry Aura, I haven’t experienced anything like that. I do have tingling sensations a lot because of some stupid muscle condition I inherited through my mother, but the tingling and numbness doesn’t start and stop, in a shock kind of way, like you are describing.

I know it seems silly, but have you tried googling your symptoms to see if that can shed some light on anything?

Really sorry your experiencing these symptoms. Sometimes tinnitus doesn’t seem so bad compared to other things. :love:

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know it takes forever for the nerves to heal.

What I find unusual is that this problem occurred 2 weeks after the injury. Why the delay?

I will talk tomorrow with my doctor, but I don't think there's anything to be done for the moment, just wait and hope it will get better. I hope it won't get worse.

So you had that tingling and numbness non stop?

9. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I think mine is worse through stress. I am having a midlife crisis at the moment.
      Mine is pretty much the same. It fluctuates so damn much. I gave up keeping track of it a long time ago.
      My pulsatile tinnitus is like this - literally vibrates my head at times. There is no ignoring it. It is unmaskable because it is as much a feeling as it is a sound.
      I wouldn’t say mine is extremely loud, but it can be at times. I experienced 8/10 tinnitus at one point last year - that was horrendous.

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      It is from sitting in your case, I only say that because I have a desk job and have the same problem. Not sure about @aura lol :(

11. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Damn, sorry you’re going through that. Hang tough. We both know it’s likely going to settle down. Sending hugs your way.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not an option.

Screenshot_20210803-021003~2.png

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it would be non-stop. Well kind of like a pulsatile buzzing. on/off, on/off all day long for a few days at a time and then go away. I've had it other places as well - my pinky finger when cubital tunnel flairs up and other strange parts of my body, always below the elbow or below the waist where pressure on nerves can develop.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I get wrapped up in my tinnitus, but my blepharitis likes to come around every now and then and remind me how much worse things can be.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      In all seriousness @aura, I'm sure it will disappear in a couple of days.

I used to get tremors in my fingers after days of playing competitive video games, and that always subsided after a day or two.

In your case it's obviously down to the injury; it actually sounds like the area healing itself, in my opinion.

Anyway, like you said "bad day"; write it off and things will be fine again soon.

Trust.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Hell man, same with my mouth ulcers and seborrheic dermatitis.

I mean, if I could have one of the three "cured", I'd go with the tinnitus; but 14 "canker sores" around my mouth at least once a month since I was 5 has been a very close second in the lowering of the quality of my life.

• Hug Hug x 3
    17. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is it like my blepharitis? In that, I never feel 100%, but I'm gotten used to getting on at 80-90% that it's now normal. Then a few times a year it gets so bad I can't open my eyes. It can last a couple days to a couple months, but always goes back. It messes with my life, but I have good times when it's under control.

I'd definitely go with tinnitus cure over anything else, as it is just constant every day. Never lets up a bit.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow guys.

3.27 AM here and you won't belive how loud my tinnitus is.

This is a monster feeding with all our stress and anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 3
    19. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’m so sorry hon. Don’t stress, it could calm down. Have a fan on and some music when you sleep?

Perhaps the cast was too tight?
      You should check it out tomorrow if it hasn’t gone away.

Hugs...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cannot concentrate at all today. I just worked an 11 hour day and I think I got 20 minutes of work accomplished...

• Hug Hug x 3
    21. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      anigif_enhanced-11366-1447863993-2.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
    22. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @aura, you said it right about tinnitus being a total monster. I'm very sorry to read that you have so much trouble lately.

Have you experienced a lot of stress the last few days? It could indeed be the case that stress compounds tinnitus and vice versa. It's hard to get out of that loop.

Maybe it's an idea to try anti-anxiety meds (e.g., Trofanil) on a temporary basis? It might help your tinnitus. There's a guy on YouTube who took those meds and mentioned that it helped reduce his tinnitus.

My tinnitus is declining!

• Like Like x 3
    23. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What kind of work do you do @kingsfan? It sounds pretty demanding & stressful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Dr. Ioana Alexandra Vodă - went to her, she was probably the most knowledgeable of all, but she said it's a brain thing, not an ear thing and then she said that everything is in my head, which I disagree, because I had an acoustic trauma. Then she sent me to psychiatrist (???) and to Dr. Andaluzia Oancea (which is ENT + homeopathy). I did homeopathy but with no result.

Dr. David Lucian (Clinica Urechii) - there are 2 "Clinica Urechii" offices (surgery + non surgery): I know that Dr. Lucian is a surgeon, but I went to the non-surgery office (Dr. Roxana Mazilu), she did many tests on me and of course everything is perfect.

Thanks for the tips, I hope your tinnitus gets better.

P.S. I feel your sharp pain in the ear, I get this almost 24/7 because of my pain hyperacusis.

For the foot, you should do an electromyography maybe.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to see a lot of doctors in Constanta, but they didn't know what caused this.

In Bucharest I went to Dr. Madalina Georgescu (she said that I had otosclerosis but that wasn't the case), Dr. Adrian Tudor (Clinica Urechii Audiologie) and he said that everything was ok with my ears.

I also went to Dr. Ioana Voda (lots of positive reviews), I think she is a good doctor but my experience with her was rather strange.

At first she was very nice to me, spent a lot of time listening to my long story, you can tell that she really wanted to help me.

The weird part came when I asked her politely if it we can skip the Acoustic Reflex Test, since I've done it at least 4 times before and I was extremely sensitive to loud sounds.

From that moment on she said that doctors are the most difficult patients and she didn't want to do any tests whatsoever.

She did write a prescription for my sinusitis (she said that my sinusitis caused my problems) and she asked me to return in a few weeks.

I was very disappointed with the experience, so somebody recommended Dr. David Lucian from Clinica Urechii Chirurgie.

So I went all over again with the tests, I did pretty much everything (hearing tests, Acoustic Reflex Test, Otoacoustic Emission Test, CT scan of the sinuses, everything but BERA, ECohG and VEMP's. (I was afraid because they told me that the noise will reach 100 dB).

He found some hearing loss on high frequencies and said that there is an endocochlear dysfunction.
      He also said that I had an abnormal pneumatization of the sinuses and an enlarged vestibular aqueduct.

I have to go now for the last tests, but I'm afraid that my tinnitus will get worse after that.

Maybe you should try see him?

IMAG8783.jpg

26. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No offense aura, but you and everyone else should stay as far away from doctors as possible!

And as we all know, ENTs are the worst of the bunch! :D

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      We do need doctors!

We need the good and empathic ones...

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Dr. Madalina Georgescu is a good doctor and an empathic one, unfortunately she does not work so much these days and I am on a waiting list to see her since March. I went to her many times for some old vertigo.

I totally agree about Dr. Ioana Voda experience, you just have to speak on her language and try to joke with her. I also had concerns about the tests and she said "if you want me to check you, you do as I say".

Beware of the sinusitis, because a lot of doctors will blame sinusitis for everything. I have some eyes problems, it's the sinusitis, I have stomach problems, it's the sinusitis, my leg hurts, they say it's the sinusitis. I have a long history with it.

I will try to see Dr. David Lucian, I see that he is at Regina Maria also, I have a subscription there.

Btw, where did you do the tests in your image? I see that it's a CT combined with some acoustic information. And what are the 100 dB tests? So I will stay away from them. :)

I will see 2 neurologists in September because the pain is sometimes unbearable and I think earmuffs are one of the causes (they press on my head), I heard that they are very good and very empathic: Dr. Cristea Floricel, Dr. Bogdan Rotaru.

Thank you for the tips, although I am not optimistic about this, a lot of researchers are studying this and I doubt that I will find a cure in our country.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Taw, have you done all the tests recommended by the doctors?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't recall if she was the one who talked to me or one of her residents.
      Either way I was disappointed because I suffered a lot after receiving the wrong diagnosis...
      Well I am an easy-going person, I like to joke a lot and still it didn't work out for us :)
      The thing that really shocked me was the fact that after the "incident" she shut herself off and refused any kind of further communication.
      He'll probably ask you to come to his clinic to perform all the tests.
      It's just a CT scan.

That test was Electrocochleography, you can search on the forum, it was a recent topic about this. Maybe Dr. Ioana Vodă already did this test?
      I've seen tons of neurologists for my headaches and ear aches. Finally they told me that it's a vestibular migraine.

I think that my problem is multifactorial: vestibular migraine, sound exposure, ototoxic drugs, sinus problems and deviated septum, stress and anxiety, genetic predisposition (both of my parents and my aunt have hearing problems).

I hope you'll find some answers, please keep us updated!

• Hug Hug x 3