IBS and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick Hardy, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Nick Hardy
      Stressed

Nick Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Everyone, Has anyone noticed a link between IBS and Tinnitus ? I have noticed recently that when I get a shock the sensation in my bowel is followed immediately by a spike in Tinnitus. I am currently taking Lyrica for neuropathic pain and it's carving my gut up making it very hypersensitive so if my gut cramps on comes the tinnitus .I also have TMJD which I know can be linked with tinnitus but this latest observation is pretty profound in it's effect.

Regards

Nick

2. alanis100

alanis100 Member

Hello, My doctor just recommended me for a trial with a Vida health coach, has anyone heard of this?

3. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      pressure changes caused during blow moments, try to change ur diet

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I personally wouldn't be surprised if there is a gut/brain connection with t......

I do know of at least one person who suffered with small bowel overgrowth, who is now t free following an anticandida diet and fecal transplant..

• Like Like x 2
    5. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Bringing this thread back from the dead. I've been considering an IBS-Tinnitus connection. I think I may try a low FODMAP diet and see how that goes. I did try the Ketone diet, but kinda fell off the bandwagon haha.

6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I doubt there's a connection but I have both. What's the FODMAP diet?

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
    8. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I'm not sure about foodmap diet... IBS should not include wheat....

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello All! What medication has worked well for your IBS ? I am suffering it really badly, horrible horrible condition :(
      Low Fodmap diet works quite well for IBS and Leaky Gut, it is mainly to eat foods with a low fermentation profile, which reduces all the extreme bloating and fatigue.

Are there any drugs that worked well for your IBS and did not affect your T?

Thanks a lot!

10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Lately, I have taken some "Digestive Enzymes" before meals which seems to have helped. Unfortunately, I was doing okay and forgot to take them one day and now I'm having some very bad bloating issues. Has anyone taken IBgard? I was thinking about trying that out.

11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      The big boy vagus nerve goes all the way from the brain to the bowels. So, yes there literally a connection (with lots of branches). Also vagus nerve is involved with the new treatments like mute button and neuromod

12. Sleaford Mod

Sleaford Mod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2005
      Symprove worked very well for me but is expensive and only available in the UK. Unusually for an alternative remedy (it’s not a drug), there’s actually some decent research been carried out to support its efficacy.

It had no detrimental effect on my tinnitus.

13. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      IBS is making me miserable, much more than T.. :(

I don't want to take any medication , everything is ototoxic! IBS is a very bad disease with people for T because many medications deal with serotonin and other ototoxic substances.

I am living in a developing country and no good herbal medicines and alternatives are found here...

Probiotics make me very depressed but they help with T also because of the vagus nerve. I'll let you know what can keep me helping with this awful condition, any feedback on things that have worked well for you are welcomed!

14. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      The nervous system and gastro-intestinal tract talk to each other using bio-chemical signalling. This is often referred to as the gut-brain axis. This has shown the importance of a healthy gut to promote healthy brain function.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      @Amv: "Probiotics make me very depressed but they help with T also because of the vagus nerve. I'll let you know what can keep me helping with this awful condition..."

Can you explain how probiotics makes you depressed?
      You can make your own naturally, which is much cheaper and has more beneficial live bacteria than you'd find in most if any stores. Pill forms are ridiculously overpriced after people became educated.

I feel many people here with specific health ailments have this condition tied to their T, as it's just so obvious especially with so many stating the same complaint and inquiry. Its a unique nerve that runs all the way up their neck to ear that can exacerbate their T while informing the brain "something's wrong", alike when any other area of your body aches or hurts. The source of the problem needs to be addressed, not the brain.

16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have IBS and take Buscopan when needed .
      love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Maybe look at testing your gut microbiome?

18. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi Nick,

Just to mention, Lyrica is known to be ototoxic, and could be aggravating your tinnitus. -- Best!

19. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Absolutely , thanks a lot Deb , now in december i will go to my original country and i will do that test. Also i have started to take Fiber and alverine , i told my gastro i have t and he assured me no problem with alverine. Probably when i am un Europe for xmas i Will Buy iberogast and Herbal anti fungal and sibo to make a cleanup.

What a horrible condition ibs is , also messes up with the mood :(

Any good remedy recommended such as buscopan is welcome :)

Txs to all !!!

Pd : regarding the probiótics good idea to make them at home , they are very expensive And they give me huge depression , but i am very sensible to many drugs , regards to all and any other feedback is welcome !

20. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown