If Physical Diseases Were Treated Like Mental Illness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by snow86, Jan 24, 2016.

1. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      This reminds me of all the tinnitus advice from people who don't have T. :troll:

wvS86Tp.jpg

• Like x 10
      • Genius x 5
      • Agree x 2
      • Funny x 1
      • Winner x 1
    2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      100% agree

3. NineNails

NineNails Member

Psychology the power placebo for everything. You just gotta believe in it. ;)

4. Raiz3R

Raiz3R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone/ear bud use, Gun, Work,
      Those all remind me of my father growing up as a kid. His common reply was. Its all in your head.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      So true. Although, I've had a number of people tell me that they couldn't imagine living with it and it sounds horrible. I think I get more sympathy than apathy. Oddly enough, my boss has tinnitus but it's low he has to plug his ears to hear it. He was the less sympathetic one. Maybe because his doesn't impede on his day to day living. I have a few co-workers who are terrified of getting T. I wish they had taught this in school. There may not be as many of us saying "if only I knew better"

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. NineNails

NineNails Member

That's typical projecting your own condition upon others. Like I've a broken finger. You've a broken spine. We've the same thing. So what is the big deal?

Or your boss is simply a psychopath. Many bosses are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Need to supply that to all the ENTs that tell you to learn to live with it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      We'd be closer to a cure if people did not view habituation as a badge of pride and valor

Researchers, scientist and investors and who ever the hell else helps bring us closer to treatment are going to assume tinnitus is not important not because the community is not vocal but because the community is extremely vocal praising a coping mechanism.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think that with mental health in general and T in particular, the big problem is that we don't know how the brain operates and there is no real way to find out, because for that you'll need experimentation with humans and this is a big no-no. Nevertheless, there has been good medication invented for anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, epilepsy, etc, so there should be a room for improvement - maybe not for all forms of T, but for some. Unfortunately brain damage conditions however remain a mystery so even that is not a given. But it'd help if these people were trying...

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Anxiety, depression yes. There are good medicines for that.
      However not schizoprehnia and a schizo friend of mine gladly explained.

Medicines for schizophrenia and pyschosis's work by depleting the brain of dopamine and seratonin. They do not target the exact regions of the brain that cause the problem they just destroy a person's enthusiasm and happiness. Anti psychotics are literally pro depressants.

Tinnitus is a brain condition caused by hearing loss and neck/jaw disorders, the brain rewires itself when the cochlea is damaged. Repair hearing and the brain might undo the damage (atleast in acute cases It will) Tinnitus is not a mysterious unknown condition like it was over a decade ago the mechanism are being identified.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

• Like Like x 1
    11. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is actually very good news and it might mean that solution is just around the corner. I think that it'd be helpful if people who are famous with T speak about it. Musicians, there has to be many of them. People from motorsports. Military. Policemen. If there is a way to make these people voice concern, it might raise awareness. But I am not sure how it can happen.
      P.S. I have taken antipsychotic from insomnia. It is an awful thing. But these drugs helped a friend of mine to stop having visions. That was great IMO...

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There isn't a medication for OCD, so they prescribe antidepressants. They even admit that they don't know how antidepressants help, but that some people with OCD respond to them. (Some people respond to placebos too, but they don't mention that.) If you ask me, it's baloney.

I had a friend who was clinically depressed who took ADs for years and years. He was still depressed on the ADs. The only difference they made was that he was like a zombie instead of being the interesting person he used to be.

13. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am also depressed a lot of time (not always) even though I am on AD's, but not ANYTHING as depressive as I would be if I did not take them, without them I am so severely depressed that even getting out of bed is totally impossible, and where I am in very great danger of commiting suicide. So AD's DO help me, but they don't take the depression away completely.

14. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm glad your AD helps you some. I read up on serotonin when I was diagnosed and I'm extremely skeptical about using SSRI's for OCD. I know less about the serotonin - depression connection, but I can't help thinking there's more to depression than SSRI's alone can treat. Do you have any kind of therapy along with the ADs?

Are you familiar with Aaron Beck? He wrote a few books on depression, which I have not read, but what I did read was his book Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders. It's not about OCD, but it deals with anxiety and phobias. (I have anxiety and a phobia too. Wouldn't want the OCD to get lonely.) There's a chapter on depression and how CBT can help.

I'm often vocal about CBT not being a solution for T, but I do believe in it for mental disorders. It helped me a lot, got me functioning again. I was never free from OCD, but it was reducd to the point where I almost felt like a normal person.

15. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Of course their is: Tinnitus - and no, I don't have any other threatment then AD's

16. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't want to push my favored treatment on you, but I'd like to at least recommend therapy. Maybe it would help. And at least it can't hurt.

And yeah, tinnitus really makes a bad situation worse.

• Friendly Friendly x 1