I'm Curious, Did Most of You Have Depression or Anxiety Problems Before Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Feb 19, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I had problems with depression swings and anxiety issues before tinnitus. I used to take Klonopin to lower tinnitus after I got it and then started taking it regularly. Slowly but surely after a few years my hearing worsened and my ringing became louder. Klonopin no longer lowered the ringing and I had really bad depression issues. (I would highly discourage long term Klonopin usage, though I am no doctor). Some days I accept the tinnitus and it is no big deal and other days its bad. Right now I am taking a medication that I hope will help even out some of the mood swings so I will have to see if it helps. What I am basically wondering is, if part of the problem of coping sometimes lies with either hormones or brain function where we sometimes have trouble accepting the tinnitus. I think I have definitely made progress but due to my background way before tinnitus in mood swings I think it makes it harder than the large majority of people that have tinnitus and don't let it bother them in the least (like my mom for instance).

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hope you start to feel more positive as your medication kicks in.
      Talking therapy is good and works on regaining confidence and coping skills and they both together help in a positive move forward in coping with tinnitus......lots of love glynis

I went through depression and came out stronger and no longer a sad withdrawn person ....

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I personally didn't have those king of issues before T. I've seen some research correlating depression with T, but who knows. After talking to some doctors and researchers, I think there are a lot more thinks we don't know than we know about this condition. Just don't kick yourself too much when you're feeling down.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No not at all. I had everything a guy could ask for, i was very happy. Now that I have T and H I know depression quite well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      ^^ same as above.
      No depression or anxiety issues - or any other health related issue whatsoever, no drugs, no alcohol, no smoking, no acoustic trauma, pretty balanced and healthy lifestyle.
      And one morning, woke up with tinnitus.
      Got dealt a bad hand I suppose. Go figure.
      Don't over think it. The best advice for tinnitus is that lame old ENT saying. "Live with it".
      After almost 2 years of of not accepting that simple truth and trying pretty much any cure, substance and God knows what other crap out there, I've come to terms with a reality as old as the universe itself - plain old bad luck.

7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      No, life was grand. T does not discriminate.
      Always been a pensative, melancholic fellow, but T gave me a taste of what true anxiety/depression is like.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Im always curious about people where it came out of no where. I encountered some serious ear damage through barotrauma and then ototoxicity, lost a lot of hearing. Is yours bad? Do you have H as well? Hearing loss? It's hard to imagine that this can come out of no where but obviously it can. Just curious mate :)

9. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I had MASSIVE anxiety issues. Massive. And was always a little depressed. After getting T I was really depressed. but I know for sure that my T is 100% noise induced

10. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I think what you mean is, "I know my T started[or got louder] right when I heard loud noises". That does not disprove that anxiety played a significant role. If you were competely without anxiety, would you still have the same level of tinnitus in response to those same noises?
      Unless you have a time machine and some meds, the only way to know that is to find out which theory of tinnitus is correct.
      Noise is almost always what people point to as the cause of their tinnitus, because it started in tandem with sound X,Y, or Z, but even if you had hearing loss, that doesn't necessarily mean that the T would be raging like it is if you had no anxiety.

11. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i had a major Anxiety problem for about 6 months
      before T

12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      No problems. Stress from trying to start a new business in addition to the one I already have, but never had a problem with anxiety. Depression about 20 years ago, but it was short-lived.

Depressed now with having to abandon the new enterprise because I couldn't concentrate, plus I'm unable to work at the audio transcription job I already had for the last 30 years.

13. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @JasonP

Yes. Dude I have stressed beyond stress before my T started. Worrying about this and that. Not getting good sleep. Started vaping my ecigs like crazy and worried that my life isn't going where I want it to. So I do feel that it def contributed to my T coming back after 4 years of not having it. We got your back though. I need the encouragement just as bad as the next guy. We will get through this crap!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Interesting article which touches on that issue. It's also been discussed on this forum.

15. Sepsn

Sepsn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hm, I've been wondering about this as well and to me there's a very clear connection. I suffered from ptsd a few years ago, that's when the T first showed up (albeit in a stage wäre I was getting Vetter already). After a while I tot used to it, though it never really went away. And now, throughout fall and Winter, depression kicked in again - and so did my T.
      It's kinda weird, I was just not sure it it might come from the ADs I am taking and if it really was louder vor not...but I'm almost certain now that my brain just, I dunno, couldn't cope with it while it was in that state?
      Now I view my T as an indicator, the more I hear it, the worse my condition is atm - but the T is not the reason for this, but rather a symptom of an underlying condition.

I hope that kinda made sense :p

16. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      yes I had and have

- depressed mood
      - generalized anxiety disorder
      - psychosis (not anymore because i take medication for it)

17. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I consider it bad.
      I mean, I hear it over almost everything during the bad days, shower excluded. On good days, it's masked by everyday noises so at least that's something. Good days are in short supply though.
      No H, as in no ear pain or any feeling of discomfort, but the T is quite reactive. The reactivity never bothers me.
      Hearing is pretty normal for my age (39), 10-20 db loss up to 15KHz, then a progressive drop up to 40-50db towards 18KHz.

18. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I did not have problems with anxiety and depression before sudden hearing loss and tinnitus changed my life. I do not suffer from anxiety or depression now. However, I was extremely anxious and sunk very low for at least a year after my ear injury. I flat out wanted to die.
      It seems like you are caught in a viscous cycle....anxiety increases tinnitus and tinnitus increases anxiety. I hope things get better for you, Jason.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      @undecided, how did you test your hearing up to 18khz?

20. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      ENT doctor in China told me that stress and anxiety causes circulation problems around the brain area.

when I was diagnosed with sudden hearing loss he asked me if I was stressed out.

my dog was diagnosed with devastating IVDD which has completely stressed me out over the past month. Pretty sure that has something to do with it. Also, heavy smoking constricts blood vessels. Was told to cut down or quit smoking

21. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      There are certain ENTs and hospitals who perform such a test (it was actually up to 16KHz, typing error).
      I did a bit of research, a couple of phonecalls and found a place. Not covered by my insurance so it was a private visit (150 euros), but it turned out to be a neuro-otologist with quite a bit of knowledge so it was worth it. He also had me do a a tympanogram and a thorough videonystagmography test to rule out any inner ear damage.
      Didn't find anything of interest but it was certainly money well spent.

Testing up to 8KHz is just sloppy if you ask me. We're not living in the '50s.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      The problem i'm facing is similar to that of yours,accepting the Tinnitus is very conscious decision making.My brain however disagrees with my decision,yeah try to explain that to either an audiologist or psychiatrist.
      I have mentioned this to both and they wanted to go trough the literature to find a connection while there is not much conclusive evidence of it having a connection.

23. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

Apparently they're,i'm still trying to figure out why an audiologist would ask me " what good would that do? " concerning high frequency testing.It sounds very dismissive to me and something they rather not do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Well, testing up to 16KHz would require two times the effort and time on their part, so they would effectively be reducing their customer number by 50%.
      So yeah, I guess they are going to try and avoid it. 99% of them probably don't have the necessary equipment in any case, so...

25. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      audiologists don't really exist to treat tinnitus - their equipment is there to assist people with hearing aids. similarly, lens crafters doesn't sell night vision glasses. audiologists that specialize in tinnitus do test that high.

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this may be overstated. I had several conversations about this exact topic with an audiological researcher who has a lot of experience with animal and human models of tinnitus, including a lot of work where they induced tinnitus in animal populations. Her take was that when you subject a given group of animals to the same noise trauma, a reliable percentage of them end up with the behavioral correlates of tinnitus, and psychological/stress factors seem to play a very, very small part in that. It's mechanical/genetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Yes, I was always an anxious person, but could function well in the society and never had to take medication to keep it in check. I did go through a traumatic event just before I developed T. Also, my T brought all my anxiety out in the open and I could see it clearly that how anxious I am as a person. I am taking anti anxiety right now and it helps. I am hoping I do not have to take this long term. Mita

28. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I actually had clinical anhedonia, but it didn't seem to be caused by depression (I know if you look it up it will say it's a symptom of depression). I do think I'm likely predisposed to getting tinnitus having sensitive hearing and some misophonia.

29. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes I experienced depression and anxiety before T for sure and was very stressed before getting it
      I am OCD since childhood and manage to live with it before my recent onset of T but now Im really a mess and relapse big time

30. Imchrisann

Imchrisann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1989-90
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shot riffle
      Never had any sort of mental health issues prior to tinnitis. I did develop depression/anxiety many years afterwards & had been admitted to psychiatric hospital for a short time. My anxiety has gone & depression is medically managed daily.