I'm Going to a 4 Week Tinnitus Treatment Camp Soon. Will Share My Experiences.

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeruf, Jul 22, 2014.

1. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hi guys. :LOL: (and ladies of course :love:)

5th August I will go to a tinnitus treatment camp here in Norway. This treatment camp will go on for four weeks and my group will have 20 people. The camp consists of one doctor, nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists and training experts. They follow the TRT method. This camp goes under the public healthcare system here in Norway. So I only have to pay a small contribution of 20$ per day.

This camp helps people with hearing-loss problems, tinnitus, hyperacusis, muscle pain, stiffness, other pains, worn out symptoms and all that other stuff that comes along with tinnitus.

I know that a lot of people here is not so fortunate when it comes to their own health-care system in their respective countries. Some countries may not have this service at all, and other countries may have it, but is private and therefore costs a lot of money.

Therefore I will share what I learn on this camp with everyone here. I'm pretty sure the staff on this camp have a lot of experience and some serious knowledge with/about tinnitus, and some of them probably have it them self.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread, and I will try to sneak them in when we have meetings and gatherings with the staff. :D

- Meeruf:rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 12
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      What a great opportunity, please keep us posted.

3. Incredible health care system you have there. Looking forward to hearing about it and also how the hyperacusics fare at a camp? ..do they get their own quiet cabin away from everyone else? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Yes, you are very fortunate to have something like that available to you!
      Scandinavian countries have always been a step ahead in many things!

Although Australia (that's where I live) has a good standard of health care and living in general, there's nothing like that here.

Good luck and keep us posted!
      I hope it brings you some relief!

5. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @meeruf
      Great post. I want the best for you. I hope you get results.

6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      All the best mate , keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
    7. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      F**king Indian doctors just made a joke when I spoke to them on first few weeks of my T.. I envy you guys..
      Good luck to you... (y)

• Creative Creative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I don't know how they do it with poeple with hyperacusics. I know the institution is pretty far out in no-where, so its pretty quiet there I think. No traffic, nightlife, honking taxies or stuff like that.

Here is a picture of the main building:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here is a picture from futher away:

4.jpg

Pretty idyllic place. Can't complain. :D

I will post more pictures when I actually get there. Only one more week now. :cool:

• Like Like x 9
    9. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Wish you all the luck in the world Meeruf,be interesting your findings,sounds hopeful.will watch out for your postings.Looks a lovely place ,a retreat ,place id go to for meditation,calming.

10. wow@meeruf you are so fortunate! I SO wish I could go!

11. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Beautiful.....enjoy!

12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      nice sanatorium.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Iril

Iril Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Have a nice trip to Landaasen @meeruf :). I've been there in 2012 (3 weeks), a few months after the onset of tinnitus. Good luck, and take care of yourself while you're there.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hi guys. One more day. :) I'm driving tomorrow at 10.45 am. There will be some kind of opening ceremony there at 3.00 pm. Will make another update tomorrow night around 10.00 pm CEST when I'm settled.

I have started to pack some stuff together now. I will bring my DSLR camera and try to take some sweet pictures too. :)

1.jpg

Yeah, see you tomorrow... Good night. :D

15. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It looks like a maximum security psychiatric hospital. Once they get to know you, I sure hope they'll allow you to leave!...:D

All kidding aside, meeruf, thanks for thinking of us and Good Luck to you! ....:beeranimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Day 1:

Hi guys. Today I arrived to the rehabilitation center that provides tinnitus treatment. I don't know much yet about what will happen the next weeks, but we had a short informational meeting earlier today with all the participants. Tomorrow all of us will have individual appointments with a nurse and a physiologist.

This is what was written in the opening letter that I got earlier today:
      (Warning: 50% Google translate English. :eek:)

" _______________

Dear participant. Welcome to Landaasen Rehabilitation Center!

We will provide you a comprehensive rehabilitation program for your tinnitus and other distress that follows. The main element in this program we have chosen to name "active knowledge". That is, we want to give you the knowledge and skills that makes it possible for you to live the most normal life.

To make this happen we will provide a mix of education, individual follow-up, exercise and different teamwork. The goal is to give you a bigger understanding of your own situation and a bigger mastering of your own condition. So you can get a better quality of life. This will also require an effort from your side.

We will use time on different exercises that are made to give a better control of your own tinnitus. These exercises are intended to give you the tools you can use in everyday life.

Under our stay you will get personal follow-up by a physiotherapist, where the weight will be placed on active training, relaxation, training in body consciousness and rehabilitation. In addition to this we offer testing and adjustment of technical utilities by audiologist.

An important element in both teaching and drills is that tinnitus is a bother that vary from mood and your own situation.

We wish that you already from reading this, you start to think about what situation you are less bothered by tinnitus, and what situation you are most bothered by tinnitus. And if there are commonalities in when its bad, and when it is good. This is a topic that will be followed up in both lectures, exercises/drills and in the teamwork.

We also encourage you to discuss this with your fellow participants if this feels natural. Our experience is that the participants in you group can be a big resource.

Some pictures:

1.jpg
      Translated: "Landaasen Training Center. Welcome. "

2.jpg
      Reception

3.jpg
      Dinning Hall

4.jpg
      Livingroom / Hall

5.jpg
      Livingroom / Hall

ROOM:

6.jpg

6-1.jpg

6-2.jpg

6-3.jpg

7.jpg
      View from balcony (Someone wants a shot of me running with those cows? :D)

Will come back with more tomorrow. Feel free to ask questions if you are wondering about something. :rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 5
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. Danza
      Fine

Danza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      @meeruf You must be a really nice person to post these things. I nearly have the feeling that I am there at the camp with you (you beat us Finns with this camp-thing). The bed looks a little bit small though - if I may now comment the pictures :whistle::cool: Did you take of the work or how does this work in there?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I'm on a sick-leave from work while I'm here.

19. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      What an interesting approach to treatment, @meeruf. Kind of sounds like a combination of several therapies -- CBT, TRT, Mindfulness. And I think its great that they are doing it in a group setting, so participants who truly understand tinnitus (because they all have it) can support one another.

Anyway, thanks for posting and I look forward to following your treatment story. Best wishes for success!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Day 2:

Not much to say about this day. More information about what to come. We used the day to get to know each other, relax and to do personal stuff. I took a long jog.

Early in the morning I had a individual meeting with the physiotherapist I will have under the stay. He had a lot of good questions and seemed very interesting in my situation. Good eye contact and a lot of clever questions. A very good meeting. The physiotherapists will start to work on us on Monday. They will also make a training program for each one of us.

Day 3:

Started the day with a very good lecture with a peer. He had tinnitus himself. He was an old retired firefighter. A very smart man with a lot of experience about tinnitus and life. He was very good to put stuff into perspective. He had been a patient at this center many years ago, after he retired as a firefighter. He started to work and have lectures in the facility about how he overcome tinnitus. He claimed he was not bothered about his tinnitus anymore. At all. I believe him.

Some tips we got at this lecture was:

- Avoid silence
      - Listen to radio/TV
      - Use a pillow with speakers
      - Avoid the sofa
      - Stay away from serious/hurtfull noise
      - Jacuzzi as emergencies and pleasure
      - Seek groups with less people (less noise) when being sosial
      - Be positive
      - Always have positive plans
      - Be thankful about everything, including your tinnitus.
      - Dont' worry about stuff you can't do anything about, concentrate about what you actually can do something about.
      - Think about good memories.

And now a story about an old man. I don't know if this is a story from Norway, or from somewhere else. I could not find any English version of it. So I will just translate it. I think it was really good. Our lecturer told us it was a true story. It was written in a very good and clever way in Norwegian. I hope I can do the same for you, just in English. Here it goes:

Bank account

A 92 year old man, of small stature, well-balanced and proud, fully dressed every morning 08.00 am, with his hair neatly combed and with a perfect shave (even tho is he was practically blind), moved to an retirement home today.

His 70 year old wife had recently passed away, so he had to move to a nursing home. After many hours of patiently waiting he met me with a big smile when I told him his room was ready.

While he moved his walking frame towards the elevator I gave him a short description of his little room, included the new curtains the nurses put up.

"Its wonderful, I like it," he declared with an enthusiasm like an eight year old boy that just discovered his new puppy. "Mr. Smith, wait until you have seen the room," I told him. "That does not matter at all," he replied. "Happiness are something you can decide in advance. If I like the room or not have nothing to do about how the furniture is arranged... It's how I arrange my thoughts that matters. I have already decided to like my room.

It's a decision I do every morning when I wake up. I have a choice. I can either lie down and think about all the parts of my body that does not work anymore, or get out of the bed and be thankful for what I still have.

Every day is a gift, as long as I live, I will always focus on the positive and the good memories I have. Being old is like a bank account. You can raise comforts from every good memory you have saved up. If I can give you any advice it would be that you have to deposit good memories to your account. As much as you can.

Thank you for your contribution to fill my account with. I still do a lot of deposits."

Remember these rules for happiness;
      1. Free your heart from hate
      2: Free yourself from worries.
      3: Live a simple life
      4: Give more
      5: Expect less.

After the lecture all of us went out on a long walk in the forest, until we ended up in a shelter some kilometers away. Our lecturer was with us and did some cognitive therapy out in the free, for all of us. A very good way to do it, if you ask me.

Some pictures from today:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Yeah, that is all for today. See you again tomorrow. :D

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Gosh Meeruf, this sounds wonderful. Not to mention the place is lovely. I so wish they had something like this in the states. I would be willing to pay a lot for this experience.

Looking forward to your next installment. Thanks for the photos! Norway is a beautiful country.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Emil Mikalsen
      Curious

Emil Mikalsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10.2013 - concert
      This is great, maybe i should go to some like this one time - as i'm also from Norway :)
      Enjoy your stay meeruf, and have a great time!

23. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Meeruf, im so taken to what you have written,hope everyone takes away from it what I have.the old mans story is a tear jerker ,that's for sure,puts life into perspective.fix what you can.
      You already seem to be getting something out of it day 3. Look forward to today's post
      It looks a great place.
      Best Wishes Marlene

24. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks, great posts, thank you !!!!!

25. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Meeruf,

Thanks for these wonderful posts! I can't wait to read tomorrow's installment.

Just being in that beautiful place would be enough to help you forget about your tinnitus for awhile. You are so lucky to have found this therapy retreat, and I agree with Lady Di that I wish we had something like this in the U.S.

Best wishes for a peaceful and inspiring week,
      Karen

26. Poonam Tiwari

Poonam Tiwari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Hi
      Meerut for posting these pics. Wish you a very happy stay. The story of the old man was amazing. I liked it a lot. Waiting for your new post.
      Poonam

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Day 4

Hi guys. Day 4 is over now. It's 23.30 here now. Not so much to say about this day. It's next week the good stuff starts. Some of the topics will be; "How to master tinnitus," "How to master reduced tolerance for sound," "How to defeat anxiety", "How to always think positive" etc. Some of the lecturers have tinnitus them self. Just like the retired firefighter yesterday. Next week I will also start the training with my physiotherapist. This week was mostly for relaxation, "to land", and to get to know the other participants.

Today we had a short lecture about the importance of sleep. Not so much new in that lecture. There was however one good line that made me think.

- "You can't decide to fall asleep, but only create the best possible conditions to let the sleep take you away"

After the lecture about sleep, we had the rest of the day to do whatever we wanted. I took a long walk and took some pictures, after this I went out fishing.

1.jpg
      Bottom

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
      Yes, me. Don't need to sensor him. :woot:

7.jpg
      And yes, we got fish! :cool: A small trout.

• Like Like x 3
    28. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Bless you Meeruf :)

• Like Like x 1
    29. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Great pics, Meeruf!

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Yeah, the pictures are shot with my phone. Pretty crazy camera in that phone..

• Like Like x 1