I'm Jan, 79 Years of Age — Why Do I Hear a Flute Screaming at Its Heighest Pitch?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Janice Miller, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Janice Miller

Janice Miller Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Greetings all, my name is Jan & I have had tinnitus for approximately 15 years, perhaps longer. Although I'm 79 years of age, my health is remarkably good & I almost never (rarely) use NSAIDs or Tylenol. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I seem to hear a flute screaming at its highest pitch every day all day, ad nauseum.

I'd love to hear any ideas as to why the tinnitus began and also what might lessen the problem?

Thanks so very much.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi @Janice Miller - firstly, welcome to our wonderful forum. Nice to have you on board!

So, you say your tinnitus started 15 years ago. The first thing is to ask if you were going through a stressful period in your life when it began? Or whether you have any hearing loss? Perhaps you were exposed to a loud sound, or on any type of medication (though I know you said you don’t really take any). Have you suffered any kind of injury to the neck/head/spine? Or do you have any jaw issues?

Of course, what I have listed above are some of the main causes of tinnitus. I’m pretty sure there are many people on this forum who have no idea what caused their tinnitus. So I guess, for some people, it will always remain a mystery.

As to what might lessen the problem, well unfortunately there isn’t much out there at the moment. I personally try to stay distracted, and keep as fit and as healthy as I can be. Regular exercise keeps some people’s tinnitus lower in volume. Others have had some success with dietary changes. Obviously good sleep is a big factor for many people who often find their tinnitus is louder if they don't sleep particularly well. Some members have even had various success with a complex of different vitamins.

If you have a read through some of the threads on here, you will begin to get an idea of what different people have or not had success with.

Anyway, I’m not the best person to inform you. I’ve only had tinnitus for a year and a bit. But I’m sure lots of lovely people will respond to you soon enough Janice.

And if you feeling down about the tinnitus, just have a good rant on here. We’re great listeners considering we all have problems with our ears - ironic hey!

Steph x

• Like Like x 3
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi Janice,

The most common cause for tinnitus is hearing loss. As we age, our hearing deteriorates, so it is really not uncommon to see tinnitus among senior population. It is called presbycusis and affects high frequencies most.

It may be a good idea to get a hearing test done at an audiologist, and if you do have hearing loss, you may benefit from a hearing aid.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Good advice. Steph how are you doing with your multi tone tinnitus today? Any tips?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Thanks my dear! :)

Well, I came back from swimming last night, and had a lovely high pitched chirping sound added to the mix. That one occasionally pops up - very annoying. But I thought “whatever”, and ignored it and went to bed.

With multi tonal tinnitus, you never really know what sounds are going to be more dominant throughout the day. It changes constantly. I try not to focus on it. Believe me, ignoring it is the best thing you can do, because let’s face it, we can’t change it.

X

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It seems that tinnitus can happen to anyone, at any time, and for any reason or no reason at all.

• Agree Agree x 3