In-Cabin Noise Level of Wide-Body Aircraft — Airbus A380 the Quietest

Discussion in 'Research News' started by InNeedOfHelp, Jun 23, 2022.

1. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      Assessment of in-cabin noise of wide-body aircraft

This article shows decibel readings of major airplanes: Airbus A330-300ER, A350-900, A380–800, Boeing B777-200ER and B787-900. Measurements were taken on three different flights on each of the planes.

Not directly related to tinnitus but this is an extremely useful publication for all of us (including people googling whether they can fly a plane with tinnitus...)

Not surprisingly, A380 is the most quiet.

Highlights
      •Provided an extensive data set of in-cabin noise measurements in six different aircraft models while in operation.

•The noise measurement has been performed in medium-haul and long-haul flights.

•The sound pressure levels of in-cabin noise have been measured on two different decibel scales, namely, A-weighted [dB(A)] and C-weighted scales [dB(C)].

•The results confirmed the quietest aircraft, as claimed by some published reports.

Conclusion
      In this paper, the cabin noise of six major wide-body aircraft, namely Airbus A330, A380, A350, and Boeing B777 (2 variants) and B787, was recorded using a calibrated in-house developed software for smartphones regular commercial long-haul flights. The noise level measured by the app for the Samsung smartphones used in the study had been calibrated against a typical type 1 sound level meter. In terms of cabin noise, Airbus A350-900 was found to have a slightly higher average (Equivalent continuous sound pressure level) of 74.9 dB(A) and 87.9 dB(C) compared to that of Boeing B787 of 72.7 dB(A) and 86.9 dB(C), respectively. The difference was deemed to be minimal as the difference was within 1 to 3 dB. Airbus A380 was found to have the lowest cabin noise with average values during cruising 69.5 dB(A) and 83.7 dB(C), confirming the typical news report among the quietest aircraft.

The findings did confirm that the cabin noise in terms of dB(A) had improved significantly compared to the noise levels reported in earlier studies in the late 90s contributed by improved engine performance and innovation in aircraft designs. For example, the noise levels for the two modern aircrafts A350-900 and B787-900, were about 75 dB during the long duration of cruising, and therefore there was no risk of violating the 8-h TWA. However, the present study highlighted the significant presence of low-frequency noise which was the leading cause for the in terms of dB(C) to be more than 10 dB higher than the in dB(A). The reported studies on the health effect of low-frequency noise on crew and passengers were minimal. Such detailed studies would be required for crew and passengers soon.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Interesting! Thanks for posting. I've been debating with myself whether noise cancelling ear phones are enough protection. I've been taking earplugs but I also hate being stuck occluded with my tinnitus for long hauls.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Useful, but what about barotrauma? That's what I fear about flying.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. JPGL
      Frustrated

JPGL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss? Noise? Stress? Unknown
      Is a 14-hour flight at 75 dB safe for a person with tinnitus? Can it cause more hearing damage?

5. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably fine. But I’ll be wearing earplugs for most of my flights now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was recently on a flight thinking that a study of hearing loss with flight attendants would be very informative. You could capture across age groups and compare to normal population. And longitudinally. If it looks bad, things need to change. If not, we know that those noise levels are generally safe because of the duration and repetition of exposure these people endure.

Airline operators would probably hate this for fear of indication of liability.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. JPGL
      Frustrated

JPGL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss? Noise? Stress? Unknown
      Flight attendants are usually young so their hair cells are still intact, but it would be interesting to make a comparison with the general population.

8. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve seen quite a number of middle age flight attendants on my numerous work related trips!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Like Like x 1
    10. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Are you not able to equalize the pressure by yawning or swallowing?

12. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I only took a plane once in my life before tinnitus (it was very, very mild). So I have almost 0 experience flying.

But days ago a friend told me "I think the landing damaged my ears, I have muffled hearing since then". He was chewing gum, so maybe that trick doesn't work for everyone.

13. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes if you have problems equalizing pressure, you will not have a great time in a flight. If you are able to equalize pressure, I suggest to do it frequently to prevent too much differential buildup.

14. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      How can you test if you have problems equalizing? I cannot do the valsalva.

15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Flying is such a pain in the ass. This year I am not flying. The noise, the nuisances, the delays, cancelled flights, long security checks, the heat, the crowded airports, the feeling of being hijacked inside the terminal and later on inside the plane, the COVID infections...

In Spain everyone is striking at airports. Ryanair, Easyjet, Brussels cabin crews, the personnel at the security checks, handling operators, etc...

Last weeks there were hundreds of flights cancelled, and now passengers will have to fight for a good year with airlines in the hope of getting their money back. Of course, airlines will try to keep the money no matter what...

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You can change altitude until you feel your ears "clog" (it happens frequently on a mountain drive), and then swallow or yawn. That should relieve the pressure as the 2 sides of the ear drum equalizes. If that doesn't happen with you, you may have a problem.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Pharz
      Alone

Pharz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I normally check the noise level when I am in a flight. During take off it is particularly very high, at some points it goes higher than 95-100 dB. During the flights I usually see 90-95 dB.

I have read that in the mid-section, front part of the plane is the quietest, and usually reserve a seat there. (Of course away from where the baby baskets during flight are kept :D)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have recorded very different readings during takeoff and initial climb, even for the same kind of plane. I have flown in those horrible Ryanair B738 a few times... and sometimes the dB reading were in excess of 105 dB... crazy.

There are also some planes that "rattle"... I do not know if it is poor maintenance or what, but the aircraft rattled like crazy, like if it were going to fall apart...

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I used EarPlane plugs for 3 flights in one day and there was absolutely no problem.

Honestly, with noise cancelling headphones I don't think the levels in the cabin are an issue. It's the take off and landing where you need your EarPlane plugs with earmuffs over the top.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Pharz
      Alone

Pharz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Aren’t noise canceling headphones harmful to ears?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    21. ringingfeet

ringingfeet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      I've flown a few times since my tinnitus.

I have 18 dB and 25 dB earplugs with and use them accordingly.

Chewing gum helps with depressurizing so I have a pack with me.

I've noticed that big variables for cabin sound levels are the planes and flying conditions.

But with those earplugs it should be fine.

I feel more uncomfortable walking around the city with unexpected noises.

P.S.: Airbus planes have been the quietest I've been in. I measured around 70-75 dB.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    22. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which option is better for damaged ears?

1) A 2 hour flight (normal airplane, not the quietest ever built).

2) Driving 15 hours on a road trip in a new affordable car. 7 or 8 hours per day at 70 mph.

23. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you have really bad hearing issues, driving would be best. And you have the freedom to take breaks etc... it's not like being hijacked inside a plane.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      If used in the wrong circumstances. I've found they can make my tinnitus louder if I listen to a podcast or audiobook in a quiet environment. I've given up using them for music on a regular basis. But if you're using it purely for the noise cancelling effect and not putting any music or speech through them, I don't see how it could be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    25. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Noise cancelling headphones are great at cancelling out low frequency sounds, I always have foam earplugs in and noise cancelling headphones over them. Just took 4 trans Atlantic flights in the past 3 months. I avoided the 777's but didn't have any lasting spikes from any of them. I've lost count, but I've probably had over a hundred flights since getting tinnitus and hyperacusis with no lasting spikes from them. Other things have given me worse spikes though, and I'm careful about what aircraft I choose.

The loudest part of a flight often isn't the takeoff or landing, it's that damn intercom and the flight attendant yelling into it telling you what to do in case of an emergency.
      The airplane in my opinion, but it depends on the aircraft. Depending on road conditions and tires, the road trip might not be that much quieter than the flight (aside from takeoff and landing). And the TWA for 15 hours of it is likely to be more.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      My tinnitus is a loud buzzing, not a beep (although on some days I also have a beep).

When I drive for 5 minutes my buzzing goes crazy for a minute and then goes back to baseline.

I went to a party once with custom silicon earplugs thinking I would be ok, it made my tinnitus worse permanently. I guess the low frequency waves came in through bone conduction.

This intro to state that if anyone would have to be scared of planes it would be people with this type of buzzing tinnitus, that is made worse by loud low frequency noise like from airplane engines.

After 2.5 years of not flying because I was too scared I finally did it and it had absolutely no effect on my tinnitus.

Only thing I make sure of is to book seats in front of the engines.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    27. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      How do you equalise pressure with foam earplugs during take off and landing?

28. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same for me. After over 2 years of not flying during COVID-19 (and not after tinnitus onset), I was worried, but have now flown 8 times in the last 10 months and not noticed any impact luckily (and so far my tinnitus just continues to get much better).

I have just been making sure to fly in the front rows and use noise-cancelling headphones.

• Like Like x 3
    29. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I don't use noise cancelling or any other type of headphones. Afraid of occlusion effect, plus headphones or earplugs/earmuffs don't protect against bone conducting vibrations anyhow.

If I put on earmuffs and I drive in a car for 1 minute, my tinnitus is 5x louder. There's the proof that it's bone conducting, not coming in through ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      If you ride at top speed on the highway for 14 hours, just make sure to keep your widows rolled-up all the way whenever possible because the wind noise and the combined noise of all the other vehicles certainly has the potential to make your tinnitus worse.

Plenty of career drivers with severe tinnitus in just their left ear from the open driver's side window.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1