Inflammation of Outer Ear Canal — Got Prescription for Neomycin Drops. What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill_, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      Ok so my worries were actually real and I got diagnosed with a light inflammation of the outer ear canal.

I got a prescription for neomycin ear drops and now I’m scared as hell to use them as I have read quite a few horror stories about them. My ear drum is intact but still....

I also got „Maxilase“ which is a mild anti-inflammatory drug (alpha-Amylase) and decongestant. Right now I’m thinking about trying it just with the maxilase and see if it gets better. I just don’t know...

Any advise is much appreciated!

2. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Since neomycin is an aminoglycoside, and aminoglycosides are one of the few drugs that are certainly ototoxic, I would avoid neomycin in otitis externa if I had tinnitus. Even if the eardrums are intact.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Do you have an inflammation or an infection?
      If you have an infection you probably were prescribed an antibiotic. Some ear drops (like Ciprodex) combine antibiotic and anti-inflammatory compounds. If you worry about Neomycin in spite of not having a perforated ear drum, you could ask your doctor for another type of ear drops.

I've used Ciprodex and Ofloxacin drops in the past, as has my daughter (who has ear tubes, ie a perforated ear drum).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have now found on the internet that a mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol can be used as a natural remedy.
      Has anyone tried this?

5. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I don’t know anything about those drugs but you definitely don’t want inflammation in or outside your ears. I learned that the hard way.

6. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Can you call your doctor and ask for an alternative?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I actually called my ENT and he said the neomycin drops are super safe as long as my ear drum is intact. But he also said that because my symptoms are very mild I could try to use the aforementioned mixture of alcohol and vinegar and see if that might even be enough to treat the infection.
      I will return to Germany on Sunday and he will check my ear on Monday morning. So until then I’ll stay away from the neomycin

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bill_
      You can get sterile ear drops to reduce inflamation from a pharmacy and should be fine till you see your ENT Monday.
      love glynis

9. mylesm

mylesm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown

How did you learn the hard way?