Inhalation of Molecular Hydrogen, a Rescue Treatment for Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Christine2222

Author
Sep 21, 2020
Tinnitus Since
forever
Cause of Tinnitus
unknown
I came across a study published in June 2021 showing a benefit of molecular hydrogen on preventing NIHL in guinea pigs. Has anyone tried hydrogen therapy for tinnitus or hyperacusis?

Inhalation of Molecular Hydrogen, a Rescue Treatment for Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

One-hour H2 inhalation protected guinea pigs' ears from noise-related damage immediately after exposure to continuous noise for 2 h. There was a significant reduction of electrophysiological hearing thresholds and OHC loss 2 weeks after noise exposure. H2 also preserved synaptophysin immunostaining. Immune reactions induced by noise activated macrophage/microglia cells and H2 intensified these effects.​

I actually read the research over lunch. I find it interesting the use of Hydrogen gas as a potential treatment. Past research on the same topic has pointed to it as a potential preventative treatment for various conditions; however, from a practical standpoint, I'm having trouble seeing how inhaling hydrogen gas would be a useful preventative for humans? For example: would employees commonly at risk for noise-induced hearing loss need to get high on hydrogen before starting work?

Molecular hydrogen: a preventive and therapeutic medical gas for various diseases

I actually read the research over lunch. I find it interesting the use of Hydrogen gas as a potential treatment. Past research on the same topic has pointed to it as a potential preventative treatment for various conditions; however, from a practical standpoint, I'm having trouble seeing how inhaling hydrogen gas would be a useful preventative for humans? For example: would employees commonly at risk for noise-induced hearing loss need to get high on hydrogen before starting work?

Molecular hydrogen: a preventive and therapeutic medical gas for various diseases
I think it's a rescue style treatment similar to steroids. The difference being you don't need an injection or a pressure chamber. Hydrogen gas mixed with oxygen (or just air) is insanely easy to do and supply on site. It does act as a radical scavenger and easily penetrates everything at normal pressures.

The weird part about this research is there must be a damage cascade that happens quite early on and becomes apparent weeks later which hydrogen rescue limits/prevents to a degree.

Given how cheap and easy this is to do I'd be very surprised if a clinical trial wasn't started (using NO in the mix would also be a prudent idea) measuring THI and hearing in noise scores, plus the normal useless audiogram.

Imagine going to the ER and them actually doing something insanely benign for a couple hours which saves your hearing.

Wish I could've tried this on myself when this whole mess started for me. It seems simple enough to implement. Making 1% H2 gas is high school level, the issue would be a bit on volume/flowrate but more so compressing it for later use. Making up a breathing apparatus that just whisks off electrolysed water at the right production rate with some holes for regular air to fill in the gap would be dead simple (so long as you aren't making any toxic products/have a big pH buffer going on).

Wish I could've tried this on myself when this whole mess started for me. It seems simple enough to implement. Making 1% H2 gas is high school level, the issue would be a bit on volume/flowrate but more so compressing it for later use. Making up a breathing apparatus that just whisks off electrolysed water at the right production rate with some holes for regular air to fill in the gap would be dead simple (so long as you aren't making any toxic products/have a big pH buffer going on).
Do you think there is any potential benefit of trying it now?

This would be a good idea to minimize damage from setbacks for someone with hyperacusis so it might be worth trying if it isn't too much trouble to build and it's safe.

How I imagine it in case it would work on humans at all: in case of a suspected noise damage you would get to the nearest pharmacy and get yourself a small ready made canister with some mask device so you can get the treatment as soon as possible. It would be enough for you to get to a hospital where they would hook you up with the same stuff but for prolonged time, maybe a full day or two? I'm not sure it would give a preventive protection like NAC allegedly do, but it might.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now