Interesting Interview with Martin Kemp Regarding Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ed209, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are correct @Ed209 in a alot of what you say for it is about awareness. The arguing that goes on here is due to the large membership at Tinnitus Talk and attracts people from all walks of life. Some want a complete cure for tinnitus and nothing less will do. As there isn't one at present they refuse to believe in habituation or any treatments that are said to help with this. Namely TRT, CBT, Mindfullness, sound therapy, medication and the use of devices like white noise generators. The medical profession supports this, yet there are people that refuse to believe in them. Mostly due to the expense and no-one is sure how successful these treatments will be.

One thing for sure, going into any tinnitus treatment with a negative mindset is a certainty that it won't work. This is the reason Jastreboff recommends people on TRT not to visit tinnitus forums and I agree with this and have advised some members, if they are having tinnitus treatment not to mention it in this forum because of adverse comments.

I go to other tinnitus forums. The arguing and use of bad language that goes on here I haven't encounted at these forums. They are much smaller than Tinnitus Talk and the people seem a lot more reserved. I am not saying they are better or worse, for each has its own unique style.

Michael

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Actually, one thing I’ll add is that my wife is a secondary school teacher and since my T became serious she has made a point to raise awareness at her school. She frequently warns students that she sees in corridors with headphones on full blast and has mentioned it in some of her classes. Funny story: one of the year 7 kids came back one day and said ‘miss, I was lying in bed yesterday and I thought oh no I’ve got titness (that’s how he said it), and then said, ‘but then I realised it was the air conditioning unit.’

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Completely agree.
      Although I also have milder days, no one can imagine how loud and intense my horror days (about 1-3/week) are.
      When you tell someone about tinnitus, you often hear:"I know it, I have tinnitus in stressful situations, too."
      I can go crazy about that....

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I teach teenagers and I keep telling them, but they - being as teenagers are - don't really understand how serious I am.

@Michael Leigh I don't think you should let those criticizing you win. I haven't read everything and I can't say who's right and who isn't, but your input is valuable to many, I think. I'm not sure, but I get the feeling that those attacking your comments are those who have had T the shortest time, thus the ones most desperate looking for a cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In addition to raising awareness for the purpose of prevention, raiseness awareness might make people more considerate of those of us who already have it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There’s a definite influx of new members that seem to attack everything that anyone posts. I still think we can keep it civil even when we’re in a dire situation. Some of my darkest days have been times where I’ve posted here, but even then I’ve always tried to keep it respectful. There’s probably been times where I’ve been out of order, but it seems to be on another level at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      For sure, you’ll never get through to them, but I give my wife respect for trying and same to you. Things like raising awareness always starts small, but if enough people do it, the message spreads.

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @Sven they are much appreciated. Wherever one goes in life there will always be someone or a group of people that do not agree with what you have to say and that's fair enough. Anyone wants to make trouble with me I have an easy solution, which I have used on a few members so far and that is pressing the "ignore" button. It is very effective and I can get along with what I come here to do and that is try and help people.

Thanks again for your kind words
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yeah me too. It would be great if it was a natural process of the brain, but the range of testimonies show that there is a variety of outcomes for such "habituation".

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      So much of what we work with is opinion-based. Concrete knowledge and fixed courses of action aren't often part of the tinnitus experience. Opinions are always rewarded with arguments.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hey, Paul how you nowadays? Good to see you’re still around.

That’s what I’d consider constructive debates. What I’ve seen is people just outright hating each other, and everything getting really petty and personal. Especially on the chat.

12. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Ed there is a program developed with OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University in Portland Oregon) called Dangerous Decibels. One of the scientists creating it invited me to a few presentations at middle schools. The kids were very interested in the science of the ear and dangers of loud music.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Yeah, it doesn't really help anyone does it. Actually Ed I'm not going all that well these days. Not tinnitus though this time. Have to start chemo v. soon for an uninvited, recently found cancer. Lead drug is notoriously ototoxic, yet there is no alternative drug. Looks like the end of my slow tinnitus recovery is coming.

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Don’t know what to say. I’m really sorry to hear that and beyond gutted for you. I know people say this all the time, but if you ever need someone to talk to I’m always here.

15. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      So sorry that you have to go through this PaulBe. Wishing you strength and a good outcome.