Intermittent Buzzing — Can Anyone Relate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by IAmCalifornia, Nov 6, 2021.

1. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Just to preface, I have regular constant high pitch tinnitus. It took time but I habituated no problem.

About a month ago, in my right ear only, I have developed a low hum/buzz that is intermittent but very constant. I can almost “feel” it. As you can imagine it’s very depressing.

I went to an audiologist who told me my hearing is great. General physician looked at my ear and told me it looked great and that was that.

I’ve had some fleeting tinnitus episodes in my ear as well, you know when it goes deaf and you hear a high pitch “EEEEEE”? But the low hum buzz is still there as the fleeting happens. This feels like it’s really deep in my ear.

So I’m wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Is it like muscle related y’all think?

Thankfully it is easily maskeable... fan, outside noises help.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do and some of us here do to, there are threads for low frequency tinnitus or low hum tinnitus or drone noise tinnitus.

Mine is intermittent in a sense that I have it for a period of time during what I also have half days/days off then it goes into remission. The "active" periods are normally a couple of weeks, but last time it took half a year to go away. I also can feel my head vibrating when it's on. Mine is hardly maskable and can be really, really loud. Can be stopped by yawning/swallowing, talking, covering my ear with my hand and humming. (The irony...) It is unilateral and also perpetuates during fleeting episodes, that's why I think it is actually something physical.

I don't know the root cause of it, ENTs are clueless, but I'm guessing it is Eustachian Tube or middle ear related, maybe some kind of spasms, like MEM.

3. IanT

IanT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do as well, I have found that it's not possible for me at the moment to habituate to low frequency tinnitus it's so loud it wakes me up at night.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I know you won't believe me, but you will be able to habituate.

My drone sounds like they are doing groundwork at the neighbours and I am still able to sleep in complete silence.

Is it fun? No, not at all. But it can be done.

After a while, you'll just have to give up fighting and consider it as "just a sound"...

Repeat this as a mantra over and over and over until you actually believe it: "it's just a sound" - tell your loved ones to repeat the mantra with you (my girlfriend is)... "it's just a sound, it's annoying, but it won't kill you"... "it's just a sound"...

5. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
    7. sophia1688

sophia1688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does it sound like a fly trapped in a lightbulb trying to get out? Because I also have had this for the past 4 months. It randomly came on, no idea how, not noise trauma either...

Life’s unfair.

8. Farida

Farida Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have it too and suspect it might be related to TTTS.