Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kimberly1080, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Kimberly1080
      Cheerful

Kimberly1080 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss, but I think related to Lamictal
      I just joined Tinnitus Support Talk and thought I would introduce myself. I am a wife, mother, Social Worker, writer, enjoy taking pictures, and have created three blogs.

I have had tinnitus since about 2004 and was told it is due to hearing loss, but I think a part of it is due to the medication Lamictal that I take for Epilepsy, because it started shortly after I started taking Lamictal. I do not doubt that I have hearing loss, but seriously think it is due to the Lamictal, because of the unexpected cause and effect experience I had today. I forgot to take my morning Lamictal and took it tonight shortly after I took it, the sound was louder. Then the PM medications also Lamictal made it louder.

It affects how long I sleep and once I am awake I get up, because I can't fall asleep, because if it is too loud I can't fall asleep with that noise. The sound varies, but most of the time it is a buzzing sound and lately I notice it more in my right ear than my left ear.

I cope by reducing my sodium and sugar intake and have background noise or stay busy. I also use a sound machine at night. When it gets really loud I go sleep on the couch and use an app on my phone and turn it up as loud as it can go without it being annoying. I do joke about it sometimes as it helps alleviate the frustration I feel.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here and see what you have all done to help you cope.

• Like Like x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. You seem to be doing well by willing to make the adjustments and getting on with the new normal of life with tinnitus instead of fighting T with negative emotions. T feeds on our negative emotions. So why fuel it with what it needs to keep its tyranny over our life. You have the right attitude and approach. Hope you stay around to share more of your insights living with T. Do check out the success stories which contain many stories of triumph over T with different insights and strategies. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1