iPhone 6 EarPods — OK to Use With Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thongjy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Is it alright to put on those white ear phones supplied by iPhone 6 to make calls or listen to music if I have tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Yes but I'd opt for some noise canceling earphones or ear buds (The iPhone ones may be noise canceling but I'm not sure). The idea is to minimize the amount of volume that is going into your ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      +1 to what @SoulStation said.

Definitely go with 'in-ear' type ones which have some foam and seal off the ear [is this correct English? I hope you know what I mean.]. They generally sound better, so you'll hear all frequencies you need without turning them way up.

But still, don't turn them up too loud, which is hard to do in a noisy environment. Try them in silence first, decide how loud you want to go and then never turn up past that.

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      @Thongjy, yes of course you can. Just don't increase the volume too loud.

@SoulStation, noise cancelling headphones are NOT a good idea, because they actually increase the amount of sound to the ear by cancelling out sound. They can also disturb the inner ear and make some people feel nausea - myself included. Isolating normal in-ears are a good choice.

5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I cannot tolerate noise cancelling in any form , very sensitive to phase , makes me dissy and nauseous.
      Besides its very unnatural , and me personally will try to protect my ears from unnatural stuff.

6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I did mean buds with isolation but
      I didn't think about this concept - interesting - though I don't really understand fully how canceling out noise could increase it.

I think the sure se215s I use are just isolating and they block out a ton of sound.
      http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8
      @Sound Wave maybe you could chime in on this!

7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Can check if it is safe to use the headphone that comes with iPhone 6 to listen to music and movies?

I mean using at at safe below normal volume and not blasting or very loud.

Is it safe? Will it worsen the T? Anyone have any experience?

9. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      In my opinion iPhone headphones are excellent quality but have no isolation and you must play it loud to hear anything. I recommend:
      http://en-us.sennheiser.com/sport-earphones-neckband-running-jogging-workouts-pmx-686g
      I was using them before I got t and I never was maxing out on the volume. I wonder why I got stupid t if I was cautions already.
      They are something in between the earbuds and iPhones. You can still hear external sounds but there is enough isolation to play music below half the volume.