1. Leandersaturn

Leandersaturn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotic
      Hello. New here. Had really bad tinnitus in my left ear for about a month - sometimes it is so loud I can’t hear what people are saying to me.

I’ve always had a little trouble with my hearing. I have all the symptoms of ETD and been to the ENT a couple of times - they were prepared to fit grommets but weren’t sure it would actually help, so I left it. They said I had hearing loss in the middle of the bell-shaped curve - so not age-related where it deteriorates at either end of the curve. They said it was genetic, something I was born with, although I suspect this would have been picked up in hearing tests during my youth. My view is that the hearing loss is to do with the ETD.

My tinnitus came on about a month ago. I had a chemical burn in my eye and was given chloramphenicol ointment, which is known to cause tinnitus. Although it was not an oral antibiotic I think it aggravated whatever problems already existed with my hearing.

Anyway, I have been reading this board for a few weeks and wanted to share that I have started taking an iron supplement, and that it is definitely making my tinnitus better. I found an article which states that lack of oxygen in the blood may be responsible. Of course I can’t find the article again now ...

• Agree Agree x 1