Is Clubbing with Earplugs Safe... Enough?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dmitry, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Dmitry
      Creative

Dmitry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hey guys, I've been reading some threads regarding clubbing and using earplugs,; however I'm still concerned about the effectiveness of earplugs and whether there is any possible further damage via bone conduction?
      I understand that this may seem quite nit-picky, but I just wanted everyone's opinions and thoughts?

There seems to be a divide between people who say earplugs are perfectly safe (and obviously a lot of musicians continue to perform despite their tinnitus condition), and other people who say that it is still dangerous?

Just wanted a bit of clarification on this matter

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      It would be much better than not using any at all! I suggest to invest in some custom earplugs.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      you're not going to find a consensus, unfortunately. Some people report that they have continued to go to clubs or play music with plugs for a long time without it affecting their T, others have reported increases despite using protection. A lot of it probably comes down to individual susceptibility, along with how loud the environments actually are.

FWIW, I asked about tinnitus on a firearms forum a couple weeks ago, and a good number of people reported that they have had tinnitus long-term, have continued to shoot guns (with protection), and haven't really noticed any changes in their T. This is noteworthy because firearms, being extremely impulsive sounds which can exceed 150db, should be expected to be much harder to protect oneself from than the sort of sustained 100-to-120 db sounds you get at concerts and clubs. That said, I gave up on shooting guns when my T got worse, and don't see myself going back. I have gone to a few concerts over the years, but not nearly as many as I used to.

4. Lloyd Carter
      Wishful

Lloyd Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Trauma
      Get some musicians ear plugs and go clubbing. There are countless DJ's with tinnitus (Grimes, Steve Aoki, Eddy Temple Morris) and they're totally fine with the custom plugs. Can you ever be 100% sure that you will never get a permanent spike? No. But the odds of damaging hearing in a club with 30db custom plugs (inserted properly) is probably very, very close to 0%.

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Earplugs should protect you but if you get a permanent increase, you will only have yourself to blame...

6. michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      I wear earplugs and visit a few night clubs. I carry a decibel meter on an app I use just to gauge the levels. If it's too loud near the dance floor I just chill near the bar with my ear plugs. I wear 33db reduction ones. Sometimes the dance floor will be around 85-90db. If it's more than that I won't even enjoy myself because I will be thinking the entire time if it will cause damage so I go back near the bar and have a good time. I wouldn't be overly cautious, but don't wear ear plugs and place yourself near the speakers either

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      @Dmitry
      With ear plugs you'll be safe from the higher frequencies; all earplugs, musician's or standard, go all-out on protection from high pitches. Musician's ear-plugs ease up significantly on mid-range protection; they have no other special power, other than offering less protection in that range; that's why they work for musicians, giving them the ability to hear the more frequencies relevant to their craft(or in this case helping you hear the ladies talking). With both of these you are in trouble against frequencies coming from the sub-woofers; ear plugs don't do enough in my opinion. The deep waves shake your whole skull and middle-ear bones; you can't really protect yourself. Maybe if you had hardcore, over-ear, protection(construction site-type stuff), you could stop it to some degree.
      Let someone else, who doesn't have your condition, go clubbing. Meet a wonderful girl online and do some dancing to a stereo.

• Like Like x 2
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      The low bass notes will get you through bone conduction. I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I guess it depends on your own type of T. I know a guy with static T, has played in a band, plays music into his ears while at work for over 20 years, no change in t , no hearing loss.
      Now my T goes up with a vacuum even wearing earplugs so for me a club, earplugs or not is out of the question for me.

10. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Have a friend from Japan with T. Moderate t according to him,he can mask it somewhat but not only hear it in a quite room thing.
      He have been to surely over 60 concerts (big ones and indoor theater performances watching idols) Also been to several baby metal concerts.
      He wears custom earplugs and never had an increase.

He got his from to many concerts before probably without protection.
      And ye he have a ton of friends that visited as many as him without protection that have zero hearing problems. Biology sucks.

But we are all different. I was to a huge concert last year wearing simple 25db foam plugs and had no problems. Now my t spiked for unknown reason with no sound exposure anywhere near.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Custom hearing protection and common sense go a long way. Invest in some good custom fit ear plugs, make sure to not stand next to any massive speaker stacks, take regular breaks, drink water and so forth. You can also look into supplement such as NAC, magnesium, niacin, etc - that have been purported in multiple studies to be otoprotective.

Most replies to this topic usually will urge you to stay away from anything loud, or call you an idiot for even contemplating it but it really depends on you and what you want to do. If you have a passion for music and enjoy going out with friends, then go for it - just be smart about it and don't get carried away.

I know many professional musicians and club goers who deal with tinnitus but continue with their passion because it's what feels right to them.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Short answer. No.
      Long Answer. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Funny Funny x 3
    13. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Plugs cannot block out that booming bass...

• Like Like x 1
    14. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was really scared to go to clubs , but on NYE I went to one for 4 hours with -33db foam ear plugs stucked properly in and fortunately I was fine :) , I think it's okay to go occasionally but not on regular basis

15. inadmin

inadmin Member

If you are simply willing to place a bet on a Tinnitus increase following clubbing, do it. I think that's the summary of the answers above.

I know what i would do...

16. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Bring a decibel reader in the club, if it's over 100 db even with foam plugs I would leave.

17. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I personally avoid loud places like the plague. But my tinnitus is reactive to sounds so that sounds like a terrible place to be.. But I suppose with proper fitted ear plugs you would be okay for short periods of time.

• Agree Agree x 1