Is Going to a Dentist and a Wedding Too Much One Month After Acoustic Trauma?

Should I CANCEL the dentist and/or the wedding?

• Yes, but only cancel the dentist, and go to the wedding

• Yes, but only cancel the wedding, and go to the dentist

• Yes, cancel both the dentist and the wedding

• No, don't cancel either, go to both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blodorn

Author
Jun 21, 2019
France
Tinnitus Since
06/2019
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hello!

I had a potential acoustic trauma 3 weeks ago, haven't taken any medicine, only allowed my ears rest. I have tinnitus and mild hyperacusis in my right ear.

Well, one week from now, I'm invited to a wedding and then I have an appointment with my dentist a couple days after.

Is it too soon even with hearing protection? I gave some rest to my ear and stayed at home since the acoustic trauma, but hyperacusis has just now appeared unilaterally.

Should I cancel the dentist and/or the wedding or would wearing hearing protection and taking care of myself be enough?

Should I cancel the dentist and/or the wedding or would wearing hearing protection and taking care of myself be enough?
With hearing protection you will be fine. Leave the wedding if it's very loud. At the dentist, ask her/him to take pauses in between drilling if they need to drill.

Don't use hearing protection at the dentist. Ask them to do a manual cleaning with no ultrasonic cleaner.

Wear hearing protection at the wedding if it is too loud and leave before music comes on.

Don't use hearing protection at the dentist. Ask them to do a manual cleaning with no ultrasonic cleaner.

Wear hearing protection at the wedding if it is too loud and leave before music comes on.
Right, the occulsion effect will make bone conduction sounds louder.

Somebody, who responded to the poll, voted to cancel BOTH the dentist the wedding, lol.

Tell the dentist about the tinnitus, perhaps he will check for TMJ, just to be certain.

I agree with what others have suggested, leave the wedding a bit early if you need to. Also let us know how the dentist goes, I myself need to make an appointment soon but I'm just too afraid to because my tinnitus and hyperacusis have been so bad lately...

Hope both events go well :)
Keep us posted.

Hi!
Just an update,

I couldn't force myself to go to the wedding. My brother told me it was very noisy, so good choice I guess!

About the dentist, everything went fine! No spike, no reaction to the dentist's tools. In fact, the anesthetic stopped my tinnitus. It's slowly coming back after 4-5 hours. It was the best 5h I ever had this month haha.

Thank you again for your advice, it's time to close this thread!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now