Is It Really Possible for Acoustic Trauma Tinnitus to Go Away with Mild Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Thankfully it has gone. I do get alot of fleeting tinnitus however, but no more ringing thankfully.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      It takes time, look after your hearing and hopefully things improve. Try not to stress about it (easier said than done) things do improve.

3. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Give it another year and maybe things will improve :)

4. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      I took a big dose of magnesium and omega3 when i was going to bed. Early morning i am opening eyes and there was no T for 20 mins.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Wow thats good. I haven’t been to any loud event in 2 years nearly. I wonder if my 30db at 4khz has seen any improvement..

Was your tinnitus noise an actual ringing tone? Mine's a soft static kinda noise.

6. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    7. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jason, is it good that my T in morning dissappeared for some minutes? Or is it normal after acustc trauma? And sec. question is how was it with your hearing? Did you hear worse and for how long after accident?

8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yes, Ringing, hissing, pinging, electric capacitor squeeling noise. Mostly in the left ear. Was horrible.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I think if it stops at all that’s a good thing.

Yea my hearing was messed up for a long time. I didn’t have a problem hearing people talking but music sounded broken. I couldnt hear bass and everything sounded like the treble had been turned up. It was more than a year before things started to improve.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
    11. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My bass are ok but i have mess with trebles :/ and there is a problem with hearing when many people talk at one time. I had destroyed that ear before but now after last accident i know that i destroyed my 8kHz too. I cant belive that. I had been saying that i wont do that again and i did it. I start to have mental problem. Its hardest part of my life. Im so depressed. I dont recognize myself anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Oh damn that does sound nasty. Glad it went away for you.

13. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can high freqency get some regeneration? Its 3 months and its no progress.

14. Sullhouse

Sullhouse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun shot
      Hey everyone, just found this forum trying to find some answers and support while I go through this trauma.

Will describe what happened, but my main question is, can sudden hearing loss recover after acoustic trauma from gun shot noise? Is it 100% permanent or is there a chance it can come back partially, or even fully?

I'm 35. This past Sunday morning I shot a handgun for the first time in my life. Out in the woods with friends, no hearing protection. I wasn't the first to shoot, or the last. I took 3 successive shots in a row, and immediately knew something was wrong with my hearing.

I went to Dr. the very next morning, and test showed moderate to severe loss in left ear at 4k-8k. I also have terrible tinnitus in that ear, and when I walk it sounds like a broken speaker. I immediately got an injection of steroids in the ear, and got on 60mg or prednisone. It's been a few days and its still bad. Maybe not as bad, but hard to tell (it's all in my head, you know?) I'm going through some depression obviously dealing with this, and I'm trying to prepare myself, and not have my hopes up for a long time and continue getting bad news if its well known that this will not recover.

Has anyone had a similar situation and had it recover, or not?

15. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good you had the prednison. I had similair to my left ear though no trauma. It came bag a bit but not so much unfortunately. I recommend a hearing aid for whitenoise.

Still recovering from the burnout though (18 mnths)..

16. Aaaron8

Aaaron8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Jason,

I read back over your previous posts, seems like you have come a long way!

Did you suffer any hearing loss that was picked up by hearing test? I noticed that you mentioned you had hearing loss but in one of your posts you said the doctor said your hearing was fine. Just wondering if you had any hearing loss as I have mild hearing loss at some frequencies and need a bit of hope.

A

• Like Like x 1
    17. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Sorry to bump an old post but did you also have hyperacusis that eventually went away? I suffered an acoustic trauma in January and my hyperacusis has improved substantially since then - essentially it's closer to being gone than to how it was initially but I still have some lingering symptoms that are bothering me and on bad days it's hard to stay optimistic that it will ever truly be gone.

18. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Hiya

Yes I did indeed have hyperacusis, I didn’t realise what it was at the time but everything seemed too loud, music sounded broken and I had a lot of learning to do.

Thankfully things are back to normal now although I will forever be careful with loud noise.

It took a long time and I know how it feels to loose hope but hang in there and things will improve in time :)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      @Jason C, did your tinnitus fluctuate off and on lot during the time it took you to get better? Mine (electrical buzz/hiss) had been pretty constant for two months. Started getting to the point where I'd wake up to quiet mornings only to get louder once I got moving, and now within the last two weeks, I have one quiet day followed by a loud day.

I know it's less about the day to day than it is about global lows and monthly trends, just wanted to get your input. Thanks!

20. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Hiya

Yes it sure did change from day to day, sometimes it was unbearable and other days it would seem to be getting better then back to square one the next. It didn’t seem to have any reason as to why it was better one day or worse the next.
      It takes time but if you are experiencing quiet days then that would be a good sign IMO

• Like Like x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jason C

Nice to see you on the forum Jason and giving out the positive vibes. If some of the people on this thread, knew what you have been through, then they would realize there is definite hope of success with tinnitus and getting one's life back on track as you did.

Well done and take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Michael, I do check in from time to time and people do message for advice, This forum and indeed your good self did help me a lot in what can only be described as one of the darkest times of my life so I always take the time to reply to messages or offer support and help in any way I can.
      Thanks for the kind words and I hope all is well with you :)

Jason.

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jason C

Thank you Jason for your very kind words and its a real pleasure to see you here. Would you please allow me to submit my post on this thread. You know the one that I'm referring to? Just to let people know there is another side to tinnitus and it's not always as bad as it seems there is a way to success.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Of course, Anything that can help people is a good thing :)

• Like Like x 1
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wrote the post below in June 2017 about a member of this forum called Marcus, whose name is a pseudonym. I have asked @Jason C the member I refer to in my post, if I can submit his name since he is posting on this thread. I hope those having difficulty coping with their tinnitus read his posts and get inspiration from them.

From darkness into light.

Tinnitus is not an easy condition to live with when it is severe. So it always pleases me to hear when someone habituates and is able to put the passed behind them and look forwards to a brighter future. A forum member contacted me recently to express just that and has agreed for me to include some of his comments although his name has been changed. Anyone having difficulty habituating I hope they will find this post helpful.

Last year Marcus was in a distressed state and convinced he would never see light again at the end of the tunnel. He works as an electrician and while up a ladder one afternoon, suddenly heard a loud ringing coming from a fire alarm that was on a nearby wall. He didn’t pay it much attention and wasn’t concerned about his hearing as he believed it would soon stop. He continued working but this proved not to be a good idea as the alarm continued for another twenty minutes. When it finally stopped and there was complete silence he then noticed ringing in his ears. Over the following days and weeks it gradually became louder and more intrusive.

I remember his out pouring and condemning himself in this forum as if it were yesterday. He couldn’t believe he had done such a thing. Staying in that vicinity with no hearing protection and not coming down off that ladder had resulted in his whole life being turned upside down. With the benefit of hindsight one is often able to see mistakes that could have been easily avoided if they only knew. In his own words life as he once new it was completely over. Married with two young children he enjoyed regularly going out with the family but all that came to an abrupt end. I and other forum members tried to make Marcus look at the positive things in his life and not to give up hope but little of this was having any impact. The walls of negativity that he had built up to surround himself were just too great and it seemed no amount of good advice was able to get through.

His symptoms will be familiar to those that have suffered noise trauma to their auditory system. Intrusive tinnitus with hyperacusis, that can vary considerably especially in the early onset of the conditions. I understood his distress at not being able to enjoy listening to music even as a form of distraction from the noise. Everything sounded distorted to him as if it is coming out of a broken speaker and his ears would hurt when certain sounds were heard. His appointment at ENT was some time away which is often the case when tinnitus is not accompanied by dizziness, balance problems and impaired hearing or continuous pain in the ears.

Contrary to what some believe, the best treatment for tinnitus in the early stages and when there are no additional symptoms, as mentioned above is to leave it alone. The ears and auditory system are very delicate and often right themselves when left alone. Many people habituate to tinnitus within the first six months sometimes a little longer and the condition has been known to go away completely. Marcus had taken time of work, as he just wasn’t in a good place and couldn’t function properly. One good thing is that he was under the care of his GP and taking medication to help cope with his moods. Tinnitus can be such an emotional roller coaster in the early days so often no two days are the same. An antidepressant often helps a person from becoming too down so acts as a safety net when those low points arrive.

Marcus became a frequent visitor to this forum and I believe it helped him, although his outlook on recovery was quite bleak and negative. Perhaps knowing there were people around him in this virtual world of cyberspace, gave him the support and sanctuary that he needed to vent his frustrations which at times I believe were overwhelming. I hadn’t seen him for quite a while but got an acknowledgement from him recently by private messenger. I have omitted my comments.

It changes a lot over time doesn't it. Not just one’s perception of it but the tone itself.
      For me it ranges from a jet engine noise to hum, I used to hear it all the time but now I only hear it in silence.

Just past the 1 year mark for me. Feeling much better now. It sure does take time.
      How's things with you? I really appreciate the help and advice you have offered to me over this time, and the help from other people in the forum.

It's a terrible condition. I did go too see Guns n Roses last weekend at Slane castle. Used professional ear plugs, was a great show and no negative consequences apart from a crazy two day hangover lol

The fact the concert was outdoors made it possible, it still peeked at over 115db at times.
      I still haven’t been seen at ent yet, did bother chasing up the appointment. No point really. I will take your advice and chase up ent and see if I can get an appointment. Just to do the tests.

Yes
      , I'm much much better now, I was in a very dark place. It was a terrible time. Things have improved, the distortion in music has gone and things sound normal again. I can even setup an eq system hear the different frequencies, when I first suffered this I couldn't hear bass, everything sounded flat, really was a bad time, I'm surprised I survived it to be honest.

I now have a new appreciation for sound and music. I just wish I understood this before. I still have slight balance issues but mostly I am happy my hearing has improved, It is very difficult too accept when it happens as I am sure you know.
      I will always use hearing protection at loud events, concerts etc. The guns n roses concert felt fine with my pro plugs in and I noticed many others using plugs too. Good to see.

I’m back at work and able to spend time with my family. Thanks Michael for your advice (even at those times when I didn't believe it)

Marcus

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      @Jason C, thank you. I guess many people who browse this forum have read that it can take time and hold onto hope, but many times it's nice to hear it restated from those who have been through it and gotten better. Especially when the mental battle feels overwhelming. You're a beacon of light for many on here, I'm sure, and it's incredibly appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yes indeed and believe me I know it’s easier said than done. I was in such a dark state of mind that it didn’t matter what anyone said, I was convinced my life was over and the noise in my head would never go away and it certainly felt that way so I fully understand how tinnitus can really drag you down.
      It can and it does get better :)

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the hardest thing ever.

• Hug Hug x 4