Is Occasional Music Exposure Harmful?

Discussion in 'Support' started by clh1994, May 8, 2015.

1. clh1994
      Worried

clh1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      when i first got tinnitus i was 15. the doctors said it was from getting ear infectoins/tonsilitus so much. i have had pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear ever since and over the years found different ways to cope... but recently i have had the high pitch ringing sound in both ears. its got to the point where they are both so loud i cant sleep, i have bad earache, and its giving me bad anxiety, and im starting to feel like i have no energy to exercise, go to work, spend time with anyone and it is really getting me seriously down...

Before this started getting bad I would go out every other weekend(im only 20 now). I wanted to know if going out and being exposed to music for so many hours would be making my tinnitus worse. I was never told going out occasionally would make it worse, but I cant think of anything else that would.

Im also after any coping advice and advice with anxiety. My doctor just shoved me on anti depressants straight away last time I went to them for help. I didnt take the tablets for long because I wanted other ways to cope.

I don't know anyone personally who has tinnitus and I feel no one can give advice if they don't know how awful it is to life with... any advice is helpful!

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Noise exposure is a real and serious problem. It may result in symptoms of tinnitus. Simple as that.

Noise exposure - and hence tinnitus - is also something which is very preventable. A fact that makes all the chronic cases most unfortunate.

Melatonin is helpful for sleep management. 6mg, ½-hour before bedtime. Can be used long-term. There may be counter indications for certain patients and young adults, however.

Tinnitus is quite common. Severe and debilitating tinnitus is less common. And less well understood by the medical community which tends to assume that all tinnitus cases are the same. A fallacy. And a bit like assuming that "all pain" is the same.

There are a number of clinical trials (current and upcoming) in progress and which may be available to you depending on where you live. You can find an overview here:

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/overview-promising-treatments-for-tinnitus-and-hearing-loss.3982/page-3#post-52953

• Like Like x 1
    3. Yea it can be harmful (sadly) get some earplugs if it's something you can't live without...

but I would find a new hobby tbh (clubs/bars)..like music? listen to it at home in controlled atmosphere. .

Coping with anxiety without tablets..well I would recommend CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) maybe short term counselling and light but consistent exercise to release endorphins.

• Like Like x 1
    4. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      as an old musician i had to stop the rock n roll party i was on BUT i still play with a different twist, acoustic and classical guitar fingerpicking style at a soft volume, yes, i can still play and it is not harmful, just had to adapt to a new sound and i love it ! it actually has broadened my horizons,i can still play to an audience, there is always a way just have to change some ways around, music is a life force !!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Very good advice from above. Since I have suffered anxiety and panic disorders for decades prior to T (and hyperacusis also for me), I can add CBT and understanding how cognitive distortions (google it) can really help lower the anxiety level. To stop fearful and anxious thoughts from perpetuating sufferings, they need to be stopped or minimized by countering them. Given time, you brain will not as anxiety prone. Also try look up youtube for mindfulness meditation as a way to diffuse anxiety. They have many videos. Dr. Gans in the Doctor's Corner specializes in some form of mindfulness approach for treating tinnitus. Dr Hubbard there also wrote his own success story using CBT technique. I also agree with Lynn about hobbies. They tend to distract your brain from paying attention to T and will give you some meaningful breaks. I do fishing, gardening, dancing and singing besides brisk walking just anxiety at bay. Outdoor life is a great way to shake a depressed and anxious mind. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Yes! Nature, music (my vinyls when I can listen) and photography are my escape/ distraction. I am currently taking CBT and mindfulness courses. It works but takes consistency and lots of practice (until it hopefully becomes a more natural response)

I also have chronic pain but I won't stop living. You will find a way to make life work again, and even fun! Just might take some adapting and a few changes here and there :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      clh1994
      Worried

clh1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Thanks everyone! I do enjoy going to giggs, bars, clubs. just live music in general i love. so i should get myself some proper earplugs because i really dont want this to get worse. Ill look into CBT and maybe going back to my doctors. if they can find some form of anti depressents that will help me cope then ill try it. I learned how to ignore my pulsatile tinnitus but now I have this high pitch ringing sound I cant do anything to stop my mind from concentrating on it!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you plan to go to clubs and gigs with earplugs, rather than finding social activites that are safer for the ears, it's crusial that you learn how to insert them properly:

2010428_20144_EarPlugsWeb.jpg
      If your T gets worse when you go to events, even if you had earplugs, I strongly advice you to consider other recreational options. Also, be aware that the ears can be more vulnurable if you've taken pain killers, like ibuprofen.

When it comes to anti depressents or sleeping meds, it might pay off to read what other TT-members has benefited from:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/antidepressants-ssris-snris-maos-tcas-tecas.768/

If you get stucked, welcome back to TT for further input.

/V

9. crucial
      Balanced

crucial Member

Yes music will send u to the bone yard.

10. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      its about the decibel level!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      clh1994
      Worried

clh1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Im not going to clubs and stuff every weekend it is occasional. But I have things planned to go to for later in the year and its just on my mind that i shouldnt go. Being my age all of my friends are going to weekends full of music ect and i dont want to miss out. but at the same time i dont want to loose my hearing. i think i need to look at alternative things to do with friends for sure.

12. I gave up Bonnaroo, concerts and musical jam sessions with friends..I get it and it's a real downer...BUT slowly you grieve what you once could do and find other ways to cope. At one point my H was so bad I would "sing" songs in my head to keep from jumping off a bridge. Music IS my therapy.

Music is a massive part of my soul, was my life. Now I'm a photographer :)...

You find ways to adapt. ..

(and believe some of those friends will be meeting you with T pretty soon.)

13. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I can only play acoustic music now. If I were around loud electric music I'd be a dead duck.