Is There Any Organisation That Provides Euthanasia for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Liam_Cairns, May 26, 2019.

1. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      We don't treat our pets like this.

• Agree Agree x 7
    2. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      display.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I volunteer at the needle exchange here in SF and I can tell you the city is really really bad right now. There are literal BNB tours of "tent" cities where tourists pay 25 dollars to be given a guide of our downtown homeless population.
      I flew over SF the other day and you can literally see swathes of blue tarp over parts of Oakland and SF... it is all over the freeways in the bay area and even along Highway 1. I never thought I would see SF become Seattle but it is so bad.

I've been working at the needle exchange since 2004 and we used to have 20 per day showing up, now we have easily hundreds every day. It is really bad, some young college kids who came to CA to be models/actors. It's so bad sometimes I can catch people in my back yard showering from my faucet (something that has never happened before)... it's crazy. I'm selling my house and moving to the country in Minnesota or something.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      Fuck I never meant to scare anyone, I'm just so low right now that it never even crossed my mind. It's just getting worse and worse and I'm becoming more and more of a drain on my loved ones. I once had stable tinnitus but not anymore. I have tried literally everything. My doctors seem to think I have a functional disorder but are unsure of how to treat it, leaving me stranded as the noise gets louder after every incident.

Sorry, I know that probably sounded confusing, what I mean by a dignified death is being able to die with my parents around me, in Australia that can't happen as they would be charged with assisting in suicide. Now you have to admit, that's pretty fucked up.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I wouldn't be too quick about it. Tinnitus might be 1000 x louder wherever we go after this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Sorry, you may have been trying to help, but this is not helpful.

I'm not here to encourage suicide in anyone, but sometimes people need to feel that they have that option in order to regain some control over the situation and to help them cope better. Threatening them with an afterlife of perpetual torturous Tinnitus in order to keep them alive is so counter-productive, because it places even more strain on vulnerable people and makes them panic even further.

Absolutely nobody knows what happens after we die - we are all just mortals.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2
    7. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Sorry about that. I just don't see suicide as reasonable option. As long as you're alive there's hope of treatment or habituation or.... something. Don't give up. I mean, if you had a "terminal illness" for which there is no good treatment or cure, that would be different IMHO. That's how I see it, but I'm not in your shoes.

8. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Thanks CMIH. To be clear, I wasn't referring to myself -- I was worried about the OP, or anyone else who may feel suicidal. My point was that talking about it doesn't mean someone is going to do it -- sometimes people just need to feel that they have the option.

I think suicide doesn't seem like a reasonable option if you're not suicidal. If you've never felt that way, it's hard to imagine how you could possibly want to do it. But when you're in so much emotional and physical pain, that's a different story.

Here's hoping for a treatment or cure for us asap!

• Like Like x 3
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      ROFL

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To me, as long as one is alive one is in danger of getting louder tinnitus.

It is all about comparing costs and benefits. The utility of death is zero (when one is dead there is no pain and no pleasure). So it all boils down to whether the value one assigns to being alive is positive or negative. The answer will be different for different people (who have different preferences and circumstances).

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    12. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uh... actually, I think Seattle is becoming SF.

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Lol if there is tinnitus in the afterlife than why wouldn't there also be a cure? Also why would anyone want to have tinnitus for all of eternity? There are no crimes committed throughout history that are so heinous that such a punishment would exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      =[

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Seattle and SF are becoming Vancouver!

• Like Like x 1
    16. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      Perhaps try to reverse the microsuction and see if it gets better?

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not funny.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi Liam,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. It's hard to advise in these situations, but I would strongly recommend you talk about it with someone in your life. On this forum you'll get all kinds of advice, some good some bad, but those people don't really know you. I hope there is someone in your life you trust enough to talk about it. They will be shocked probably, but it might be a relief for you to share.

And what about your doctors, are they aware of how dire your situation is? I would make that abundantly clear to them; be very specific about your mental suffering. They owe it to their profession to try and help. Of course, they can't offer a cure, but at least they should offer some counselling or something.

Finally, of course you weren't trying to scare anyone. You're desperate, we get it. But it is true that people new to tinnitus come to this forum looking for hope, and certain personality types might think - seeing this thread - that they will end up like you as well, and there is no hope for them. When in fact, after the first 6-9 months, the vast majority of people get better; that's usually when they disappear from this forum :)

Liam, you can also PM me and @Markku, or any other caring member you know, to discuss this further.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Big cities with relatively mild weather and good services will all have these issues, and it will get worse as social and infrastructure support from the federal apparatus gets worse and worse. On the other hand, parts of Seattle are seeing massive (unsustainable) property value hikes. Expect more and more gated communities of McMansions surrounded by dystopian sprawl.

Living in areas where the population density is that high also contains risks in terms of diseases, and resource scarcity and violence in the event of any kind of breakdown (I've read that when a big NYC power outage happened in the 80s, looting started in seconds. I worked in energy for 7 years until recently; the grid is stressed and not really being invested into at a systemic level; it's also more and more vulnerable to being hacked from across the globe).

In between all these loud, congested, toxic cities... there is a lot of beautiful open space that's affordable and quiet.

When I lived in DC and worked in an office I'd get serious illnesses (which invariably made my tinnitus insanely loud) several times each winter. Now, living more remotely, even with a small child bringing germs home, my illness rate is maybe 10% what it was.

When I look out my window now, I open it, take a big inhalation, and sigh... it took me nearly a decade to line things up so I could live where I do now, and it was worth every minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I could easily step into a suicide booth today. My tinnitus is raging.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I realize that's a ton of words from me, and none to @Liam_Cairns -- sorry, I'm an asshole!

All I can say is what you don't want to hear -- try to hang in there, I felt the same way you are expressing for years and had to claw through it day by day, and so far that was worth the effort and pain.

If you decide to make a different choice, well, I am enough of a libertarian to think it's your right, but also enough of a humanitarian to think it would be very sad to have someone make this choice, especially after "only" having severe tinnitus for 18 months. I've read claimed anecdotes of people actually habituating after as much as 4-6 years of torment.

That's clearly not my story, but, on the other hand, my bad trauma was in 2010 and I'm still here.

24. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No doubt about it, Seattle real estate has skyrocketed. However, that in itself is not why thousands are living in tents next to the freeway and elsewhere. When high rents force otherwise healthy people out of the community where they reside or work, most do not set up their tent next to the freeway and move in. They find cheaper rent somewhere. The homeless problem in Seattle and San Fran, for the most part is not a homeless problem, it is a drug addiction problem. Google the film documentary "Seattle is Dying".

25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll check the movie out even though I bet it will be, at least partially, a depressing and fact-based affirmation of things I already believe.

Having spent some time in and working with recovery communities, I think most homelessness usually has some combination of mental illness and substance issues at its root... because, in general, there ARE resources available to not sleep outside, if you can obey their rules, fill out basic paperwork, etc.

IMO we need to completely stop treating drug use as a law enforcement problem, and treat it as a social problem. (I'd include the sort of addicts who sell small amounts to support their own habits in this, but obviously leave the real dealers and producers as a law enforcement issue). Being addicted to drugs isn't actually fun or glamorous, and I think very very few people would actually choose that if they were aware of better choices that they had. Sure, there might be some tiny percentage of the population who says "I don't care how good or comfortable my life is, I just want to take heroin all the time" but I think it would be such a small demographic that we could just treat it like any other mental illness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pretty much agree. Another piece of this ugly pie is I have no doubt you can connect the epidemic in "homelessness" to the epidemic of the abuse (by the providers and users) of prescription opiate pain pills. A large number of street heroin users began their addiction by being given a prescription to opiates. The opiate providers have flooded the country with these very addictive drugs. ($$$$)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For you guy's sake, I hope you get this. But I don't want any part of it. I'm not listening to headphones. And there's no way I'm putting that thing in my mouth and electric-shocking my tongue. :cautious:

28. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I think Minnesota might be too cold for you and you have the ocean and mountains. We had record snow this past February also. Warm today though 87 degrees.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    29. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't know how to live with this. :(

I had a normal life until mid February and then an acoustic trauma which....

I can't concentrate to explain. :( It got higher pitched and is loud. I can't live this. I asked about people who had high pitched and loud tinnitus who had theirs reduce. No one said anything. :(

30. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      You mean assistance to murder? Suicide is not illegal everywhere.