It Gets Better Over Time!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Meestijn, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      It has been a while since I wrote something about the progression of my T on this forum.

But I feel the time is right now to do so.

Something I didn’t believe when confronted with T after onset the replies telling that it will get better > In my case indeed it did/does get better and better!

I’m now 5 months into T and compared to the peak level, the ‘left over’ T is around 20% of that volume (in general only noticeable in (very) quite environments (like bedroom).

It also reacts less and less to the environment. In the beginning my T was very reactive to even moderate noises which drove me crazy and made me very afraid.

My progression and reaction towards T I believe is a combination of habituation and more important actual lowering of the volume and sound reaction.

What did I actually do;
      - Infusion therapy in Germany (I still belief it lowered my T for 30-40%)
      - Sound therapies like ACRN, notched music (which removed the high pitch 4kHz ringing, left over broadband alike noises)
      - Started to take magnesium, zinc and B vitamins as well fish oil.
      I believe magnesium and fish oil helped the most.
      - Also I’m now on Sound Therapy Perth (I was and still skeptical) but it looks this provides another help in the reduction of my T to acceptable levels and sometimes it even feels I do no longer have T when plugging my ears (only to a level I always have had, like hearing the sea / white noise when putting a shell against your ear)

Honestly, I of course can’t tell whether any of the things I do or did contributed to the current situation or that it is just my brain adapting (plasticity) on its own to the new situation. You never can tell for sure (since in fact I’m still in the post acute phase of T).

I also exposed myself to louder and louder sounds. I even went to events, of course with earplugs (26 dB reduction) where noise levels reaches levels of 100 dB and above.

Thanks to the earplugs my ears where OK afterwards.

Compared to the past my ears where always ringing after such events (like for the majority of people). I like the idea that I now protect my ears for further decline and regret not to find out earlier about earplugs. I still enjoy the music and the funniest part of it; I even can have better conversation with people around me than before using earplugs. Another benefit; myself is shouting less no hoarse voice anymore in the morning. Of course the first couples of times I was afraid of exposing myself to these levels. What if….

However, it looks I can withstand (fingers crossed) these levels when using earplugs. I know this will not count for everyone with T and I don’t know what the future will hold for me as well.

But it is told many times, also on this forum, try to pick up your ‘normal’ life again and do the things you did before onset of T. Taken into account the necessary precautions and sensibility of course.

With the last event Carnival reception for the new local prince (Yep I live in a region of the Netherlands where they celebrate this thing called Carnival.) my girlfriend finally concluded that the noise levels reach ridiculous levels indeed (shouting to each other to have a ‘conversation’)

See decided, although see does not yet have T (although a slight ring when searching for it, but no negative reaction towards it (yet)), that it is wise to use earplugs.
      Man, I’m so glad see finally realized this. I told her that the investment of 150/200 € is all spent well. That is no investment considering the possible consequences of T and the hearing loss over time!

Even some other people around me are slowly realizing that it could be wise to wear earplugs in such environments! Also when I told them that wearing earplugs improves the conversations and that the experience of music isn’t jeopardized at all!

I will continue to write about my progression, hopefully this gives some hope to others on this forum, that indeed it can get better overtime. How hard to believe initially, especially when just confronted with this dreadful T.

Hopefully the progression continues positive (fingers crossed) and I finally can say that T became an non issue and I can live life as before again (of course protecting my ears in noisy environments).

Maybe I can consider myself lucky as one of the 80% for which it will get better overtime and even better one of the people who get rid of T.

I wish all of you (and my heart goes out to the ones with severe T) the same positive progression of T as I currently experience.

However, still afraid that in the future it may get worse again, therefore, still hoping for the magic medication or cure but again I can’t look into the future and try to live life again to the fullest!

• Like Like x 7
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      What a fantastic post ... so happy for you Meestijn long may it continue !!!!

3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Did you start taking supplements on your own initiative? My GP told that magnesium affects the hearts and since I have another medicine which also affects the heart she thought it wouldnt be a good idea. Also, takind excess B12 can be dangerous. I suppose you didnt have any negative side effects?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Stina,

Yes, start taking it on my own.
      No, not at all. So far it looks like I have positive effects. I only take the prescribed levels (according to the package).
      Magnesium is quite an important part of the human body, it seems. For me it looks it does help in my 'battle' against T.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      B12 is pretty safe;

Toxicity
      No toxic or adverse effects have been associated with large intakes of vitamin B12 from food or supplements in healthy people. Doses as high as 1 mg (1000 mcg) daily by mouth or 1 mg monthly by intramuscular (IM) injection have been used to treat pernicious anemia without significant side effects. When high doses of vitamin B12 are given orally, only a small percentage can be absorbed, which may explain the low toxicity. Because of the low toxicity of vitamin B12, no tolerable upper intake level (UL) was set by the Food and Nutrition Board in 1998 when the RDA was revised (6).

B6, on the other hand, can be more toxic and cause severe problems when high doses are taken for long periods of time.

Thanks Meestijn for the great story. All the newbies that visit our forum are glad to read these kind of stories.

• Genius Genius x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thx Markku,

That is the exact reason for this post. Give others some hope that IT can get better overtime.
      Thanks to people like you and Karen (among a lot of others) who keep on telling that it will get better I know how important it is to share positive progression if that happens to any of us sufferers (In fact I no longer suffer as I did during onset)
      I know how hard and killing it can be the first time confronted with T.
      It is like a black hole, ripping everything away from you. Loosing every bit reason to life (at least that is how I experienced it!)
      Thus it is important to share positive progression regarding T!

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Meestijn,

I'm so happy that you're seeing an improvement in your tinnitus, and that the supplements are helping! Thank you for posting this very positive update, so others will be more hopeful that things will get better.

I am glad that the fish oil and magnesium have been the most helpful. We're all different, so what works best for one may not for another. But most people who take magnesium have said they noticed a difference.

Very happy for you, and please keep us posted on your progress!!!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks Karen,

I definitely will do, as this forums helped me during my darkest days!

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      A great success story. Thanks for sharing Meestijn. The title of your post says it all, it gets better over time. What a reassuring thing to the newer sufferers. Different people may find different alternative treatments or diets which can help them. But one important element common to most sufferers is just TIME. We need to give time, time. The body needs time to adjust to the new alien tinnitus sound. It takes time to figure this out. So even though you may learn many great insights, don't be frustrated if following the insights seem not helping yet. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Don't give up following the insights. Keep it positive. In time, the body will catch up with you and will fall in line. Give it time.

10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Gosh, Thanks for sharing @Meestijn
      Gives us all hope.
      Just wondering how long after your onset did you receive infusion therapy? And infusion of what? Was it via your ears?
      Also, what was the initial cause of your t onset?
      That would be helpful to know.
      Thank you, and Congrats on your wonderful success story. :)

11. The_Chum_12
      Inspired

The_Chum_12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Wow, Markku. I've been taking Lipo-Flavonoids with 1mg of B6 per pill for two months now. I know it's a small dose, but it adds up. I just read the wiki page on B6 and got scared out of my life. Should I be worried?

12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      You can easily test the B vitamin levels by a blood test. Consult your Gp if you are worried:)

• Like Like x 1
    13. Vilsa

Vilsa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress + loud music
      I also would like more info about infusions you had. When did u get them first of all. thnx!

14. Tim87

Tim87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Meestijn Same story here, I am from germany. How is your T right now?

15. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      I really believe you and would like to share my story is on similar lines except that I took l carnosine which reduces noise to v low after two days
      any anyinflamattory reduces it and jerrows multi 123 gave me silence every time
      overall I have improved 80 percent and reactivity is down by 95 percent I tried all that's there and starkey tinitus masker

• Like Like x 1
    16. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have had my T for about 5 months now, but it has been getting progressively louder. I now hear it all the time, even while flying on jets and hiking near waterfalls. Louder sounds sound very tinny to me. I stay away from loud environments, but I still try to live a normal life. I have turned down promotions due to T distracting me too much at work. I now plan to leave my Washington DC job and return home as this is debilitating me too much. There are a few days in the month that I feel that I can live with this, but they seem to be getting fewer and fewer. Thank you for your story, as it gives me hope that my T may some day get a little better. But I realize from reading about T that everyone is different, and for some it gets better, and for others it doesn't. Best wishes for all those suffering with T, and if my condition gets better, I'll report back.

• Hug Hug x 1