Lenire — User Experiences and Reviews

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jul 20, 2019.

1. KotaDomowa
      Dreaming

KotaDomowa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Februar 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Lenire did not give me a lasting effect. Around... April? - I think it stopped working.

Maybe I'll describe in more detail later. Anyway, I've been waiting for more methods with the same stubbornness for 2 years and 5 months that this is not a life sentence.

(You can take into account the fact that I may not remember what it was like before Lenire. I put it out of my head.)

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. PauloZ
      Alienated

PauloZ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015, got much worse in 09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, both times.
      Hi,

I just picked up my Lenire set this week in Hannover.

Yesterday I did my first session.

My main tinnitus are these loud high pitch tones around 15000 Hz, only maskable under the shower. So I can easily hear my tinnitus above the therapy. It also spikes my tinnitus quite a bit, but it 'calms' down after the session to its 'normal' state.

I will post an update when I go back to Hannover in October.

• Informative Informative x 10
      • Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      So I just restarted treatment after a 3 month break. I had found a modest improvement during my first 12 week treatment but wanted to explore other options to see if I could move the needle a bit more. I tried tricyclic antidepressant (yuck), chiropractor, and started sound therapy. While I tried the other treatments described above I didn't want to confuse the issue by doing Lenire simultaneously. None of the other treatments did anything positive for me, though the sound therapy (Widex Zen) eases the pain in certain situations.

One thing that did happen is about 6 weeks after I stopped Lenire I started to have more bad days. By about 2 months after stopping I had reverted to my pre-treatment baseline. This was interesting to me, because the change in my tinnitus had been subtle and I had started the treatment at about the 9 month mark in the tinnitus journey. I had wondered how much of the improvement had been a slight natural improvement that would have taken place from the 9-12 month mark regardless of my Lenire use.

Because of this regression after my stopping I have significantly more confidence that Lenire had indeed soothed my situation just a bit. I also find it interesting that the other attempted treatments over the 3 month period had yielded no positive outcome. I would have expected to be as sensitive to a placebo effect from one high priced tinnitus treatment (Lenire) as another (Widex Zen), but this was not the case.

Just a reminder of my case. I had a unique and ultimately unknowable circumstance for onset, but it started one night between when I went to sleep at 11pm and woke at 2am. DM if you want details, but circumstances aside damage occurred. I had a notch down to 55 dB, otherwise a ski slope that according to my audiologist looks like normal age related hearing loss (I'm 50) with mild loss above 4 kHz going down to about 30-35 dB at 8 kHz. My notch disappeared 6 months after onset (really weird right?). The tinnitus is severe 24/7 hear it over everything fuzzy, high pitched at13-14 kHz, sometimes crickets, and electric shocks, but since my first Lenire treatment it is mostly just fuzz. I deal with it reasonably well all things considered but it certainly beats me down and impacts my concentration and patience, especially later in the day. When it goes below a certain threshold I am able to deal with it quite well, when it is above that threshold not so much.

I will check in periodically to report if I experience the moderate improvement again. Fingers crossed.

• Hug x 5
      • Like x 3
      • Informative x 2
      • Winner x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    4. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      Well it looks like I am taking a break from Lenire for a while. My tongue tip has died. I now wish I would have gotten a second one when I picked up the device, but I was going to purchase a spare on my first follow-up visit which is now indefinitely delay due to COVID-19. I am in the United States. Maybe it will be good to take a break. I will have to reach out and see if I have any options. I guess I am not too heartbroken since it really hasn't helped me at all though I have been stuck on the first setting. I'd guess I got around 200 hours out of the tongue tip.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Well week one down on my second attempt at Lenire. Again I feel much better equipped to judge its effects the second time around as after about 6 weeks through my 3 month hiatus where I tried various other treatments and I reverted to more what I had recalled my baseline being prior to starting Lenire; more challenging days and no real good days. I feel much more strongly that I can judge its impacts on me without placebo, expectations, fears, or ambiguity about natural habituation process skewing my perspective. Obviously I'm human and subjective so take it with a grain of salt.

So to keep it quick and dirty, first three days back on the treatment were bad days, that is at the far end of what I experience, after that it has settled down and second half of the week is really as good as I have had in a long time. I noted it didn't come close to touching my benchmarks for a very good day (<5% of days) that I can't hear it in the shower or while driving in a noisy car with the radio on, but the days undoubtedly felt better. I can only postulate that it either 1) impacted the loudness but too slightly to cross those thresholds, 2) affected the quality of the sound in some slight way that made it less punishing, 3) it is zapping the flight or flight part of the brain and I am just reacting to it better.

All that conjecture got thrown out the window as I had a crazily quiet period yesterday. Maybe the quietest 3 hours I've had since April 2019.

See you next week...

• Like Like x 8
      • Hug Hug x 2
    6. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Week 2 observations. Pretty much back to where I was at the end of my first treatment cycle. I guess I have the rare quieter moments that I didn't have prior to restarting the treatment, but the real difference is that I am just not having as many challenging days.

From the end of my first round of treatment to about 6 week post treatment I felt 70% habituated. Sound there all the time 24/7 hear it over everything, minus the rare quieter random hour or two where maybe a shower or noisy environment could drown it out, but it was less troublesome. I was more likely to let it fade into the background of my consciousness. I would still have the occasional challenging day, but it was relatively rare.

By the end of my 3 month hiatus I had regressed tp where about 30% of my days from wake to sleep were challenging/punishing and the remaining would become challenging enough by evening time that I would struggle. The most easily identifiable behavioral trait is that I was unable to watch TV with my family. It was too painful to focus on hearing.

Not that watching TV is a great thing but this week I have been able to hang out and watch the idiot tube with the family and it didn't occur to me that I had to leave. I had no challenging full days, and had a single challenging evening.

So again this brings me to the question of what is the specific nature of Lenire's impact my symptoms. I still don't know. I hear it above everything, but that might be as much a pitch issue as anything else as there isn't a lot of sound in my environment that is up at the 13 kHz to 14 kHz range. I do have the occasional quieter bits, maybe I'm experiencing them on a scale of 3+ hours a week where if I am in a non-silent environment and if I don't search for the sound I can pretend it isn't there. The rest of the time it is plenty loud still.

This leads me to the same supposition that I posted last time that there are three possibilities.

1) It does lower the sound enough that it crosses a critical physiological threshold where I am able to function. But if it drops from 44 dB to 38 dB it would still be omnipresent, loud, and difficult to discern the change without proper measurement.
      Though this could explain why I am having less challenging days.

2) The quality of the sound may very well be different. I don't take daily detailed notes, because who needs to obsess about this stuff more than we already do, but I am sure that I have a much steadier hissy sound in general and not as much electric shock, cricketing, and other mobile sounds that I have always found particularly painful.

3) This device is a habituation device and that it numbs my physiological response to the sound.

At this point I am quite certain that it does something, not enough, but enough that I intend to continue using this for the long term, which leads to a request. I am in the US and will not be able to order another tongue tip when this one dies. If there is anyone on Europe who would be willing to help me by receiving a shipped tongue tip from Neuromod and then reship it to me could you please private message me. Thanks.

• Like x 5
      • Genius x 2
      • Informative x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
    7. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Doing my faithful weekly check in for my second time around this merry-go-round.

Week 3 is in the books. My first half of the week was pretty rough, meaning a normal top of my range hard tinnitus day prior to doing Lenire. My immediate first thought/hope is that it is the predicted worsening that precedes improvement, alternatively it could be I was just having a few bad days.

Anyways I'm back to my Lenire normal which is quite concretely a better normal, one that is far less destructive to my day to day life. I still hear the tinnitus 24/7 over everything 99% of the time, but more bearable.

I plan to continue out to about 6 weeks then go onto a maintenance type program.

Again I put the shout out to the universe of Tinnitus Talk users. I'm looking for a European based angel to receive and then forward me a replacement tip from Neuromod as they can't ship directly to the US. I only have a couple months left on this tongue tip.

Please DM me if you are interested in helping.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      Hi, I think it is time to write my 6 months update.

Just a quick info about my history:
      I'm now 29 years old.
      I got severe tinnitus in November 2018 possible due to cold/virus/stress induced sudden hearing loss.
      But nobody can really tell me the exact reason.
      I have no hearing loss from 0-8 kHz.
      My tinnitus sounds like an aggressive buzzing electric wave in my whole head. I think my tinnitus is about 12-13 kHz.
      The tinnitus gets louder and changes in pitch when I clench my jaw. I often hear that while eating chewy stuff like baguette or gummy bears.
      It's also reactive to noise.
      Right after getting tinnitus I fell into deep depression (major depression diagnosed). I could not sleep, stayed awake for 3 days in a row. Cried all day. Lost my job (I'm a pharmacist), still living on benefits.

I started the Lenire treatment at the beginning of February, luckily just before COVID-19 hit.

In the first months of using the device there was almost no positive progress, the treatment spiked my tinnitus for some time after each session. Sleep improved a bit, I was still using Mirtazapine.

After about 2 months my head started to feel a bit lighter, clearer, and i started to taper off the Mirtazapine.

The tinnitus started to feel less intrusive, but still severe.

The progress was very very slow, so slow that it's sometimes hard to tell if it is placebo or not.

After 6 months I felt like I had plateaued, during daytime I often was less aware of the tinnitus, it was just easier to tune it out, it was less piercing.

I had to stop for about 3 weeks waiting for the new tongue tip.

The next time was very interesting. My tinnitus started to be much more fluctuating, sometimes it was almost gone when I was in bed.

Anyway, after 2 weeks I felt like it's getting worse again so I was happy to go on the the treatment.

Now this time the effect was instant. After my first session my mood got better and the tinnitus became somehow lighter.

I'm now 10 days into my second 6 months of treatment and it's still fluctuating, but better.

Conclusion:
      - this treatment takes time, improvement can be very slow.
      - this treatment WORKS, at least for some, but it's most probably not a cure
      - this is NOT a scam

If you have the money and are not afraid of a worsening, I highly recommend going for Lenire.

It will hopefully keep me going until Frequency Therapeutics' FX-322 and the University of Michigan (Susan Shore) device come out.

Note: I'm still on PS1 and will keep the program change as a joker for later.

Lenire gives me hope.

• Like Like x 16
      • Hug Hug x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    9. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      Hello my friends. I want to keep this brief.

I've now been using Lenire for 6 months. 4 months on the first setting and 2 months on the 2nd setting.

After switching to the 2nd setting, I had some quiet days at first. Then it went back to baseline and there was a little improvement for a while. During almost the full month of August I had very little improvement at all. But I kept using the machine, because I'm a soldier and I feel like I need to use it for the full duration before I can really say if it has worked or not.

Today, the 31st of August, is the 2 year "anniversary" for my tinnitus. And for some reason, my tinnitus is almost completely gone today. I don't know if it's a coincidence, placebo or just lucky, but it's never been this quiet in a really long time. Can't remember last time it was like this. So this gives me hope that it could actually go away completely if I keep using the machine for another 2 months. I know I may be setting myself up for failure by hoping, but I think I need something to look forward to because my life is pretty horrible as it is.

I'll make another review in 2 months time and will tell you the final result of my experience with Lenire. Let's hope I'm free of tinnitus by then.

• Like x 16
      • Winner x 5
      • Hug x 4
      • Informative x 2
      • Agree x 1
    10. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I'm approaching the 6 week mark on my second treatment cycle of Lenire. In terms of events of note I had a period of 3 days a couple weeks ago that were so good that for the first time I started to imagine it was possible to get better. Sadly that remarkable streak hasn't repeated. Other than that all is the same as with my previous reports. That is the tinnitus I experience is lowered slightly but significantly under this treatment. I am trying to get a replacement tongue tip for when this one dies out, a bit more tricky than it should be as they don't ship directly to the US, and intend on using this in some form for the long term.

My overall person experience with Lenire is that my quality of life is better.

Objective(-ish) measurements:
      I still have tinnitus 24/7 which due to its high frequency is relatively difficult to mask, but it is both objectively (for a sound that only I can hear ;)) quieter and less 'mobile'. Prior and between treatments (I took a 3 month break) it was an incredibly rare circumstance that I wouldn't be able to hear it in the shower, now it is a 50-50 event. Prior to treatment it was never maskable in a noisy car, now maybe 10% of the time it gets drowned out. In terms of 'mobile' sounds, I mean crackles, electric shocks, cricketing and the like, these were always the worst for me both because they are more difficult to not actively notice and that they push into ever higher more painful frequencies. Prior and between treatments almost every day, especially later in the day I would have 'mobile' sounds, now it is maybe one day in five that I experience some form of this.

Subjective measurements:
      So the other marker I am using in considering the efficacy of Lenire is whether I am behaving less like an injured animal. There are probably a lot of things that I can cite, but I'll focus on three. 1) I complain about the tinnitus far less. I've confirmed this with my wife. 2) I can watch TV with my family. Before and between treatments watching TV, trying to focus on the dialogue, was just too painful. It just sucked. There is a very clear behavioral marker that I now watch TV with the family without really much thought. 3) I feel/think about/notice the tinnitus much less. Before I started the treatment in January I noticed/thought about the tinnitus >95% of the time. Towards the end of the first round of treatment maybe that dropped to 30% of time. I don't have a stop watch on it but I imagine that now I am actively aware of it around <20% of the time. Which means at least 80% of the time I feel somewhat habituated.

I still have the occasional bad day or portion of a day, but I haven't had a multi-day/week tough ride since week 2 of the the second round of the treatment.

Last thoughts and plans going forward:
      I was uncertain as to the efficacy of Lenire during my first round of treatment because I wasn't sure how much of what I was experiencing was a natural habituation/healing that may have taken place regardless. When I did my 3 month washout after about 6 weeks I regressed to my pre-treatment state. Upon restarting treatment I returned to my improved state within the first 2 weeks and appear to be remaining there. Due to this I am quite certain that my improvements are not placebo effect.

Based on my limited experience it does not appear that the improvement is permanent. I believe this is consistent with what Susan Shore reported with her treatment.

Going forward I am interested in figuring out what a sustaining protocol might look like. Are washouts advisable? I believe that Neuromod knows very little about what variations in use would do. I won't do it (I'm afraid) but what if you did 1.5 or 2 hours a day? Is 30 minutes enough? Does turning up the intensity make difference? After getting a benefit can I use it every other day? I never got a reprogramming - PS1 only, does it make a difference? I would love to hear from other long time users to learn if any self designed protocols helped or hurt.

If you are considering using Lenire I would recommend reading user experiences, @PeterPan's data analysis, and understand that if it works for you it is likely not a cure but something that may soothe your symptoms somewhat. For me it is making a real difference in my life. The improvement is not enough but it is making a real meaningful difference in my quality of life. It gives me hope that there is real promise behind bimodal neuromodulation treatment for at least some of us and that there will be further improvements in treatment into the future.

Peace out.

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I've been absent from Tinnitus Talk for a while. I came back to post about pulsatile tinnitus but I thought I'd give a brief update on Lenire.

I've been off it for months now as it has been giving me spikes. Roughly 2 weeks after stopping Lenire my tinnitus got noticeably better, then it continued to fade and got back to its pre-Lenire baseline in 1-2 more months.

So although Lenire ultimately didn't work for me and actually made my tinnitus worse, I did get my old baseline back even though I've used the device for more than half a year. So at least its effects really were temporary. Hope they can find a way to tune/improve it.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I want to tell about my experience with Lenire:

I started my treatment in December 2019. One hour in the afternoons, for six weeks. It really helped me a lot, the tinnitus was a lot less intrusive, smoother. Gradually I began to live longer without thinking about it. It was there, but softer, less intrusive. I really felt a lot better.

After six weeks I went to Dublin, and they changed my programming. A mistake. Within a week I began to feel much worse, and returned to my initial tinnitus state. Many bad days, and all the progress was gone. The discouragement was total.

I talked to Neuromod and sent them the device. They reprogrammed me again as in the first phase of treatment. However, I did not use it for a few months, I thought that perhaps it was better to let the brain rest and have it reset completely before starting the treatment again.

And in July I started again, after two very ugly and annoying weeks of tinnitus. And it started to work. Again I have fewer bad days, less and less, and in turn I am in more situations without being aware of tinnitus. Yes, it is always there, but my brain is not so aware of it. It is not really a cure, but an improvement that translates into a better quality of life. Now I do the treatment before going to bed, since once it is done, the tinnitus spikes for quite a while. In this way, I fall asleep and do not feel the temporary spike.

Conclusion: So far, I am grateful to Lenire. I use it daily, and I will do so for a long time. Perhaps the longer I use it, the more my tinnitus improves. Also, Neuromod's doctors will most likely improve their protocols once they draw conclusions from their statistics.

In my case I have a slight acoustic trauma of -30 dB at 4000 Hz in one ear. The rest of the hearing is within normal limits. I do not suffer from hyperacusis. But the masking level of the tinnitus was 44 dB.

I hope it will help you.

Greetings.

• Like x 9
      • Hug x 8
      • Informative x 8
      • Good Question x 1
      • Useful x 1
    13. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I just got my replacement tongue tip and I’m trying to decide how I want to manage the long term use or non-use of Lenire. Right now I intend on a 2 week washout before beginning again. Maybe start with an hour a day for the first 2-3 weeks as I typically have gotten most of the improvements quickly, then I’m not sure whether to go for 1/2 hour or maybe skipping every other day.

I would really appreciate other long term users sharing what strategies they are applying.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. BigNick

BigNick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had my Lenire since July 2019.

I agree it's good to take a break from it. I don't use it every day and only do one session when I do.

I'm hoping they update the treatment next year with new parameters.

I was pretty pissed off when I wrote my last update but the fact remains the worst element of my tinnitus ceased immediately when I started using Lenire, I was suicidal at that time and am not now.

Hopefully they will come up with some improvements next year.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    15. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Hey guys,

I am going to give Lenire another shot. My first time using it I did not have any improvement. However, I am now in a much less stressful environment and thought why not. I am also in communication with Neuromod about retrying it. I had my first session today in months. I am trying to go into it with a positive mindset. I am also taking Aniracetam (a nootropic) at the same time to see if there is any impact. I will keep this forum updated.

P.S: If anyone can get their hands on a tongue-tip for me, I would really appreciate it. I am in the US and unable to get it delivered from Neuromod directly.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Lenire update:

I haven’t been here in a long time.

I have stopped using Lenire for the past few months mainly because I got bored of it and wasn’t able to travel to Ireland due to the restrictions.

It’s been almost a year since I went to Dublin, great city, amazing people, would love to go back.

Honestly my tinnitus and hyperacusis are nowhere close to what they were a year ago. It could be because of the Lenire or it might not be.

Coincidence? Probably not.

Take care guys.

• Like x 7
      • Winner x 3
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Informative x 1
    17. Richard P Heinz
      Confused

Richard P Heinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      viral infection
      No sense going through all the details.

Bottom line: After 10 months of using Lenire, no improvement whatsoever.

My case however is unusual.
      Viral infection attacked my cochlea and left me with hearing loss and severe constant tinnitus.

Others with more gradual or occasional tinnitus may have relief with Lenire.

I've had tinnitus for two years and it's still severe and constant.

• Hug Hug x 13
    18. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      The same for me. I've been off the forum for 6 months.

Lenire, amongst all the other things I've tried, did nothing.

CBT, TRT and all the hocus pocus things on the Success Stories did nothing.

I am still the same as I was when I got tinnitus 3 years ago. Although I can cope better on really bad days knowing they will pass. Tinnitus is a life changer - that is for sure.

The worst thing Lenire did for me was to realize that my masking level was 38 dB, while many others' masking level is much less, which explained why masking was a problem for me.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    19. PauloZ
      Alienated

PauloZ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015, got much worse in 09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, both times.
      So I posted the above a long time ago, but never followed up.

Here is my follow up:

The first time I tried Lenire I strictly followed the protocol and it didn't help.

Afterwards I went back to Hannover, they changed the software a bit to a different program. Not noticeable, but the time between the tones and the stimulus were changed a fraction.

At first this second program seemed to do something for my tinnitus. I think the right description of the effect would be that my tinnitus became a bit calmer.

But because of my low energy, I decided to take a break. Later, when I tried the second program again, it didn't do anything, so that makes me think the first time was a coincidence or placebo. I don't know. I still have to try it a third time. But to be honest, I had hoped for a bit more.

Due to travel restrictions, I haven't been able to go back to Hannover yet. But I understand from other members here on Tinnitus Talk that these are the 2 programs they have right now. So I think there is no point in going back until Neuromod come up with a new improved program for the people who don't benefit from the current ones.

20. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Toby1972 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      I got the Lenire device in Munich today. I paid €2,750 EUR, but only because Neuromod now offers that you get €1,850 EUR back if there is no relief / improvement after 6 weeks. Yes, I am skeptical, but at €900 EUR it is worth a try.

I tried it once today. It is strange that only a slight tingling sensation is noticeable over the tongue tip, although I have set it to the maximum. I find it hard to imagine that it can make a difference.

I will report something new here every two weeks.

• Like x 12
      • Informative x 5
      • Hug x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    21. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      upload_2021-6-9_17-59-28.png

The payment above is proof that I am not a fake tester who just wants to have something to talk about.

Summary after a week: Lenire does nothing.

I even had more bad 9/10 tinnitus days than 8/10 days than usual.

In my opinion, there can be no science behind the sounds. E-bass, piano, jumping/choppy synth sounds and an intrusive white or pink noise (but nothing in the high-frequency range) are quite random.

The stimulation from the tongue tip is only very weakly noticeable. How is that supposed to make a difference?

I think the few people who noted improvement from Lenire was simply because the whole thing could have a meditative effect. Keeping quiet for a couple of weeks for 2 x 30 minutes can reduce stress levels.

But I don't spend €2,750 EUR on a meditation device. Lenire probably doesn't help people like me with SNHL.

Well, I'm sure I won't have anything better to report next week.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've given Lenire a 2nd try but after 5 weeks nothing has changed.

In a few weeks I will try the second parameter setting and then do that long-term. But I highly doubt this can reduce tinnitus. Some fancy piano sounds mixed with white noise and little tingling of the tongue will do nothing. But I'm very desperate, so I will at least try it for 6 months.

• Hug Hug x 4
    23. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Week 2:

No change in tinnitus loudness / awareness. I thought for 2 days that the tinnitus bothered me slightly less, but today everything is back to the old status.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Week 3: I used Lenire daily as recommended.

I would like to report you good things, but it is simple: It does nothing to me. Nada. Niente. Zero. At least there are no negative side effects.

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. London00

London00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I bought Lenire in Germany for €2,750 EUR.

Here are my experiences after seven weeks of use.

I derived no benefit for my tinnitus from the use of this device. The advertising campaign of Lenire has been very extensive, raising hopes that unfortunately are not based on scientifically and qualitatively valid studies.

I point out that the "Deutsche Tinnitus Liga' in the article published in its last magazine reports the opinion of the scientific committee that advises against purchasing this device. And they highlighted serious methodological issues on the quality of the scientific study carried out by the University of Regensburg.

I simply have to confirm from my own skin that Lenire does not work.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    26. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Week 4:

I used Lenire daily as recommended.

And nothing new: It does nothing to my tinnitus. No change in loudness, no change in annoyance.

I will give it back after 6 weeks to my acoustician.

The Lenire sounds are just random. Not individualized to the necessities of the patient.

For the last 2 weeks, I will change to my own sound "therapy" program. I have selected several various YouTube videos and other sound apps that produce noises that are around my high pitched tinnitus frequencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Week 5:

I used Lenire daily; not as recommended, but with own sound programs fitted to my tinnitus frequencies.

I had 3 "better days" in a row from Sunday to yesterday which means that I had 3 days with a 8/10 instead of a 9/10 tinnitus.

8/10 means driving a car + radio music masks my tinnitus sounds.
      9/10 means the tinnitus is louder and I am always aware of the beeping sounds.

Yesterday I thought I could change my state from cynical to sarcastic.

Today I am back to 9/10. Maybe it feels that I am slightly less bothered by my tinnitus, because I may expect an 8/10 day instead of a 9/10 day sooner than usual.

That's the only positive thing I can tell about Lenire in the past 5 weeks.

Lenire is a disappointment.

I tried today at our monthly sports event to scratch the back of my head as inconspicuously as possible so that I could bear the squeaking noises during the conversations.

Next I will test ForgTin from Austria. I will share my detailed experience with it after I have completed the unsuccessful week 6 with Lenire (I will return Lenire).

• Informative Informative x 7
    28. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Week 6: Lenire does nothing.

I had to postpone my appointment with the hearing care professional until next week, at which point I'll return the device. So I will provide one last update on Tuesday.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    29. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Hi all, I’m back!

Where have I been? Well, I flew to Dublin at the beginning of 2020 to pick up my Lenire box, and then... never went back because the world ended.

I used my Lenire until the tonguetip stopped zapping (it ended up being the tongue tip, I am a teeth grinder and was chomping on it too hard). I mailed it back to Ireland but they were unable to send it back to me because American laws are stupid. I had them mail it to a friend in the UK who never got it back to me because reasons.

At some point later in 2020 I had habituated to the point where I didn’t hear it at all during the day, only hearing it at night and momentarily when sticking some AirPods in to listen to a podcast while walking the dog (habituation is amazing!), so I wasn’t really fussed about not getting it back. Tinnitus was no longer a problem or even a factor in my life (which, given the life-ruining hellpoint at which it started, was a huge win).

I don’t think Lenire had anything to do with it, but hey who knows, maybe it sent me on a path to habituation...

Unfortunately my tinnitus is back in a big way. 2 weeks ago I went to a restaurant that is absolutely blaring music and I didn’t realize how loud it was until I realized I was shouting to make myself heard. Unfortunately I seem to have given myself enough hearing damage to escape the threshold of my habituation so I’m back at square one. Hard to tell if it’s actually louder than before or if it’s just a regression back to 2019, but it’s not a new tone.

I cajoled my London friend to finally mail the device back to me and I’m at it again. Let’s see how round 2 goes!

• Hug Hug x 10
      • Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. Robert Logan

Robert Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma from playing live
      I have been using Lenire since October 8th, and unfortunately it has done very little for me. Having said that, I don't think it literally does nothing; on three or four occasions it seemed to "soften" the harsh tinnitus somewhat for a period. And while using it, I feel unusually sleepy, which doesn't happen with anything else or if I just sit still... (I find the music dull and the tongue tip not particularly affecting, and usually if I sit still the tinnitus gets to me and I feel far from relaxed, so it's interesting it always invokes this somnolence.)

• Like Like x 1