Let Me Get This Straight — Are These My Only Options?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aschenherz, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm three months in and it seems, that every day is fighting for a really hard goal. The only option, as I see it, is to get as much activity as you could, so you can eventually habituate within years. I'm a very sensible person and was that all of my life, but is there no other way to get relief?

It seems so unreal being busy all the time, especially with the depression and anxiety, that will rest on the bed all the day.

Sorry to flood this board with negativity, I know, that this is no help at all, but I'm really struggling, cuz I cannot endure either one of the two options, that I have now in life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Aschenherz try to stay positive my friend. there is no cure as I'm sure you are aware by now. however this does not mean that your tinnitus will not significantly reduce over time and fade into the background. hopefully it greatly reduces and your brain tunes it out. try to avoid silent rooms by sleeping with a fan or sound machine on.

also if you haven't gone to an ent this could be helpful. it is possible your tinnitus is caused by something that is treatable

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Binyamin

Binyamin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blow to the ear
      Hey, what about masking noises? I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time, it's the hardest the first few months. You have had it for only 3 months (not that I'm implying that it makes it any easier, I know it doesn't) and that means that there is still a good chance it will go away/get better. (It usually does). Because of this fact thinking years in to the future seems heartful at this point try to take it a day at a time. You mentioned you are dealing with depression and anxiety. Although they can come hand im hand with tinnitus they are separate problems, that require different treatments. Personally I think seeing a psychologist is a good idea ( it really helped me), and if not that then sports meditation are free and effective in some cases.
      I hope things get better soon :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      unfortunatly i have a high pitched hiss in my brain, that is unmaskable. that is the biggest problem here.
      under predisonole it faded, and the other three tones where hard to endure, but managable. And yeah, that's it. So, when i, if i getting used to it, it will take a looooong time. Also for the unwillingly from me to stay busy all the way. Don't know, it's dumb. kinda.

@ryan1234 i were on every possible treatment that i can think of. :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Being active is important, but finding (mental) rest is too. Try to become more relaxed by taking good care of yourself. Make sure you are always warm, have comfortable clothes on whenever possible, eat healthy, do whatever makes you feel good.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Improve another part of your life to counteract what's going on at the moment. (Take up the gym, gain a qualification, go on a big holiday, travel)

Not now but in time, don't obsess with researching tinnitus, googling cures, etc

With that being said, remind yourself that there are 6 billion people in this planet and the tinnitus pandemic will continue to grow, in line with that and much more improved understanding of tinnitus, significant progress is being made to treat and possibly cure it. Don't hold on to that too much, until then, start the habituation process - by doing what I said. Good luck my friend.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      And remember you are German, they are the leaders in tinnitus research.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      personally I like a mix of distraction and then very explicit non-distraction (meditation, yoga, qigong, walking in woods). Basically I just live my life to the best of my ability.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    9. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      My T is similar unmaskable...it took me about 8 months to habituate and that was over 20 years ago...

10. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I'm with you man. Three months now for me. My tinnitus is in my right ear and my only options too are either suicide or habituation. It's a tough road we have but I'm sure if we support each other we'll come out on the other side better people.