Let's Induce Tinnitus in the World's Wealthiest People

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kane Moffat, Mar 30, 2016.

1. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Just as a point of interest, it would be easy to defend the OP's idea by reference to utilitarian moral philosophy. Utilitarians attempt to balance out the sum totals of the positive and negative consequences (crudely, the pleasure and suffering) of an action caused to all who are affected by it. They decide it is good if more happiness is created or suffering relieved than suffering or unhappiness created. From Wikipedia:

"Utilitarianism is a theory in normative ethics holding that the best moral action is the one that maximizes utility. Utility is defined in various ways, but is usually related to the well-being of sentient entities. Originally, Jeremy Bentham, the founder of Utilitarianism, defined utility as the aggregate pleasure after deducting suffering of all involved in any action."

Indeed, it would even be possible to argue from a utilitarian ethical perspective that following the OP's suggestion would not only be morally virtuous, but might even be a moral imperative. Having said that, I am definitely not arguing this myself and indeed I read the original post as a light-hearted suggestion that was not entirely serious. Maybe we are all over-reacting a little?

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Words of wisdom - as always - that only very few members on TinnitusTalk can master.

Agree (x 2).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm on the way as we speak with a handful of firecrackers lol.But seriously I wouldn't be able to do it,wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy let alone Bill Gates :(Speaking of the 220 treated with stem cells was there any positive compelling results at all?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @attheedgeofscience are you now proud of youself.?. And my opinion on the US has nothing to do with my ethics and morals! Dont know why u did that. And concerning jdjds situation. He already has T, he would not hurt anyone else by staying in the trial. This is absoluetly not comparable to the OPs Opinion and statement.
      Dont know why you quoted that because it has absoluetly nothing to do with that thread here....but hey.

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See attachment case studies as samples. These are already some 5-6 years old. The stem cells didn't restore the cochleas completely (not even close). But then again, remember that:
      • The four year old boy had had practically destroyed hearing (from Meningitis). This would include the auditory nerve also.
      • The 19 year old patient had had hearing loss for almost two decades before attempting hearing restoration.
      In addition, remember that the perception of sound intensity doubles for 10 dB increase in hearing threshold, and so, a 30 dB increase at given frequency is pretty significant.

Lastly, with improved guided peptide technology (injections) and local administration of stem cells, it is perhaps possible - this year - to get yet another boost in the performance - see the thread on stem cells (My Trip to Bangkok...).

Guided stem cell bio-technology:

http://cen.acs.org/articles/91/web/2013/04/Putting-Stem-Cells-Place.html

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    6. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Makes a very interesting read,it's something at this stage in my life that I'm seriously considering doing!You had improvements from your stem cell treatment if I'm correct?Was it anything measurable on an audiogram?I had extensive hearing tests done recently and the results were,yet again perfect all the way up to 10,000hz.Had Oaes done which came back perfect and speech perception tests done with background noise and they came back perfect too?

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I just wish the DOD would take the issue seriously and donate more for research funding. In 2012 they spent $1.2 billion on tinnitus related compensation, it is estimated they will spend more than 3 billion in 2017 on tinnitus related compensation.
      You would think think that finding a cure or better treatment might be a good investment if they are already spending billions of tax payer money every year in tinnitus related compensation. I'm sure there are some veterans with intrusive tinnitus that would rather be cured than receive disability for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

You do realize you just gave the best indication of why it doesn't make sense to spend more on compensation than it does research.The brain is not that easy to explore,in the medical field it took a long time before they even acknowledged Tinnitus and this came from people within the medical field.

9. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      The problem with tinnitus is, while you have it, it's completely the worst thing in the world ever.

It's life threatening, suicidal thoughts are common.

BUT... in itself its not a life threatening condition.

Most of the tim, an ENT couldn't even begine to imagine how you got your T. It seems like almost anything can cause it, and to understand tinnitus seems to be understading the most cmple part of the human body. The inner year, and the brain itself.

There seem to be SO MANY possible causes to tinnits, and a cure could nevr be a catch-all cure that works for all. Most of the time smeone couldnt even tell you why you hve tinnitus, being able to cure smething with and unknown caue is practically impossible for now. You can trow 500bn at it and get no closer.

To others, it's some problem you can get over.For 99.5% of people, it's something you can get over and get used to.

For the 0.5%, have the deepest sympathy. I have NOTHING in me thatcan help you except for some donations I made t this forum. You people suffer to the point no one should suffer. But T is a complex beast, having complete understanding of it and all of it's caues will come in a LONG time, maybe 100 years. Money isnt the anwer and neiter if wishing this pain on others just because they have wealth.

I would personally like to do what I can fr T sufferes. I've paid money to this sidt because I think its REALLY needed and would like to send some more in soon.
      If anyone would ike to talk to me, I hae a low ot knowledge on the full cycle of T and havituation, and the day to day coping mechanisms

I can't cure it for you. $500bn ay not cure iy for you. I understand the frustrations we have, but wishing it upon the rich jst because they may have the resources to assist us a bit, is completely inhumane.

Let'ssupport each other and wish NOT BAD on others just becausethey have a bit of money.

10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'm told George Soros has it, which may explain some of his Voldemort-like qualities.

11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You mean does make since to spend more on compensation than research? In any case how can you know for sure? Billions annually for the foreseeable future is a huge expense. Compound that for the next 50 years...

12. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Excuse my lack of sympathy for those who consciously put themselves in risk of contracting HIV through unprotected sex or by sharing needles while they are too wasted to know better!
      Yet they have AIDS world day, Bono riding bike through Central Park to rise awareness and millions poured into research.
      Tinnitus?
      Nahhh...it's just a harmless sound.....it doesn't kill you!
      But it makes you wish it does!

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      The OPs wish is f*cked up? Wtf? He wants to cure millions of T suffers world wide at the expense of some dollars of the ultra rich. I think they will survive, believe it or not, you can live pretty well on even a few mill.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      That is not my point.
      My point is that it is f*cked up that he wishes a condition on other people ONLY for the sake of their money, believing it would lead to a cure in no time. As I wrote in my previous post, that is very naive. I know that the wealthy will be able to live their normal life. But if we started to wish harm on other based on the simple thing that they are wealthy or whatever, that is messed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You forget that there a lots of people that contract HIV/AIDS because they are not educated. There are countries that deny that the disease exist, or lie that it can be cured by sleeping with a virgin (it's true, google it). Or countries that have poor health care and corrupted systems. Like using the same needle on patients, blood donations that have been contaminated etc. The percentage of people that contracts and die of HIV/AIDS due to not protecting themselves (and was aware of the risk/educated) is rather small compared to the millions of people dying because no one have given them proper education or even been tested for it.

Tinnitus is a bitch, but if I had to choose I would still rather have T than a disease that can or will kill you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      True! But don't forget that HIV is man made virus created to do exactly what it's doing!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    17. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Now we are in the realm of conspiracy theories. Next you'll be saying the illuminati organised it all.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The initial post was most likely written light heartedly, but some of the responses here have been rather elitist.

We are entitled to nothing; and if others happen to have more wealth, then good for them. Some have earnt it, some haven't, but the world is not all champagne and roses where we should expect and demand that all our problems be solved. The world is full of misery far worse than our own, and yet some of you are acting like nothing is being done. People are putting money into research but it's an incredibly complex condition to solve. If you take the original posters words literally, and don't see a problem, then it shows more about your own personality than anything else in my opinion. Some of you seem very vindictive; like you actually like the thought of some rich people suffering to feel better about yourselves.

Schadenfreude springs to mind.

Rather than looking to others all the time, why don't you do something yourselves? Do some tinnitus charity work and raise some money and awareness! Maybe even study science and become a researcher. There is plenty that can be done by everyone of you, and yet I notice most of the complainers haven't even donated to this site, let alone help the cause in any other ways.

But yea, let's all go Dr Evil and deafen a few rich guys. Excellent idea.

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    19. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which is what?

20. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      To eradicate the black population some people claim.

21. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Ed, you put my thoughts into great wording! Agreed 100%. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is the perfect "image" of the tinnitus community going around in circles and chasing its own tail (go to 0:34):

Funny Dogs Video Compilation 2015

Excellent idea - honestly. Good luck - however - finding folks to fill that role...

• Like Like x 1
    23. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      No,i'm simply saying that you already gave a very reasonable answer to your own question.
      If they really had an " easy " fix to the problem or any indication of the problem they would
      spend that money on research rather than compensation.

That's why there's still no real treatment yet,let's not forget that although epilepsy is manageable
      it doesn't always work for everyone.

24. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      What would I do if I won one of those silly 10, 20 or 40 million pound/dollar/Euro lotteries and became very wealthy?

I would donate big, big, very big amounts to research. (It is still al relative).
      Than I can put my money where my mouth is.:sneaky:

I donate already what I feel I can afford.
      If I can contribute to research in another way I most likely will.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      May sound cold, and I don't blame anyone if it does, but i gotta agree with OP on this one. Money is a big factor to find a cure for any diseases or conditions. If all the wealthy people got tinnitus, and the result is faster cure I would push that button without hesitating.

We need more money in the area of tinnitus-research so we can stop this damn ringing! !

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      When I posted this originally it was just a wild thought. What would happen to out community who suffer from an unmet medical need if the most powerfull people in the world made it there personal mission to cure the symptoms. Pretty standard thread I suppose. I would never want to inflict this on even my worst enemy- don't worry Bill is safe for now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    27. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

The bong -- put it down. bong.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    28. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since: