Levetiracetam (Keppra) — Another Possible Potassium Channel Modulator?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Viking, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      interesting, how can u take pure oxygen?

2. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Vial with medical oxygen.
      A big vial costs about 300 euro.Refill 25 euro.You can take a small for test purposes or make test to a hospital.
      Put the tube in you nose and get only oxygen not mixed with air which gives the venturi msk

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      And keppra costs £8.50 for a months supply lol

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Small update;
      the doctor who prescribed the Keppra on me in december of past year, it being administered to patients who had previously received some relief from the combination of gabapentin + clonazepam. The results seem to be encouraging, especially in the group of patients who suffer from tinnitus unilateral not tonal but white noise, narrowband noise linked with Misophonia or hyperacusis. After 3 months of testing, the maximum dosage of 2000mg per day were obtained the following results:
      1) Reduction of tinnitus NOT TONAL from 6 to 3. Disappearance of "tinnitus reactivity". Disappearance of Misophonia (FULL).
      Drastic reduction of the headaches associated with iperacusia.The patients have improvement in mood and in their ability to react to their situation of suffering. 2 persons have abandoned the use of SSRIs and are climbing out the use of benzodiazepines.
      2) If the tinnitus is tonal, no relevant difference. (not lucky people)
      3) If there are hyperacusis or Misophonia, after a month of treatment, the symptoms begin to weigh less on quality of life.
      4) In patients who did not obtain benefits, was prescribed the Flexiban (Flexeril ... always cyclobenzaprine), with good results on tinnitus tonal, general tension, hyperacusis and headaches. It is noted that these patients have problems related to the neck or jaw or to the structure of the dental arches. Very common side effects that lead patients to abandon the following therapy are excessive sedation or tachycardia. Flexiban has a structure similar to Tegretol. Both are "cousins" of tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline or nortriptyline that already in the past have been shown to have some efficacy in the tensive states, headaches or migraine, hyperacusis, generalized anxiety.
      It is hoped that these results are permanent, in view of a future development of Biviracetam (enhanced version of Levetiracetam x10) who @Danny Boy is most active in the research, the suffers may have some help with a drug already tested and without serious side effects, avalaibilty and low price.

Best wishes

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      thanks for the info bro!!! I am decided to try it as my T is narrow white noise, or mix of tonal+noise, and i also have some H (not big thing but sometimes annoying)

@Danny Boy are you still having zero T with the mix Kepra+Trobalt?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you Viking, I am fighting my best for keppra to be an actual cure for hyperacusis...And who knows Biviracetam may be an actual cure for tinnitus! This is really exciting! I hope everyone who has hyperacusis tries this, there's no reason not to!

7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Viking

How many people were trialed?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

This is the most important point:

as I discussed with my senior neurologist now retired, we would need a large-scale trial. I'm trying to spread the news in the medical (I know ... many unfortunately) and I have a feeling of general embarrassment when they are faced with real results, far more than many years of sound therapies or therapies long-based on SSRI drugs and tranquilizers with all their consequences ...Always arguing with this old neurologist, is difficult to establish a link between cause and effect. As I wrote, not all patients have responded brilliantly to therapy for tinnitus but most found that it more effective and less discomfort than the use of SSRIs drugs. Based on this information we hypothesized that perhaps hyperacusis should be completely revised . Keppra does not cure the tinnitus (not at all) but improves the emotional response to this annoyng stimolous and, relaxing the cell membranes, seems to have a positive effect on hyperacusis and then consequently also on tinnitus. As often happens .... it's a vicious cycle that if you can not break up "immediately", could be attenuated with time using drugs "membrane (mood) stabilizers" such as Keppra. Do not forget that there is a link between tinnitus triggered by SSRI drugs and the relief obtained instead with other antiepileptic drugs used increasingly in psychiatry as mood stabilizers: tegretol, lamictal, Keppra, topamax etc ...
      This drugs and also the "baby cinnarizine/stugeron" have a common denominator: all acts on calcium channels... and these channels are not far from being able to influence indirectely the others: sodium and potassium.
      Unfortunately no one colleagues listens him and still prescribe the "infamous" gabapentin ... which is then abandoned ... as well as patients to their fate. Maybe we are fancy .... maybe is truth ... but it seems that the idea of using an old drug (effective, safe, inexpensive) creates embarrassment environment ENT. There is much to discuss and try just because tinnitus and hyperacusis are multifactorial disorders, and nothing should be left unturned. Sometimes it can happen that something old drug can give relief but as rightly said my neurologist ... "one swallow does not make a summer." One can only hope, considering the safety and low cost (really ridicolous), that "someone" decides to do a large-scale trial with patients differentiated by sex, age, duration of disease, trauma, emotional problems ... in a nutshell .. . a specific clinical trial. It would not cost anything .... the drug already exists. In the past I have tried a lot of PubMed, Cochrane, neuroscience ... I could not find ANYTHING on levetiracetam and tinnitus or hyperacusys, and I did not understand why. There are a lot of unnecessary work that clearly say how the pregablin is useless ... ... but continues to be commonly prescribed although there are hundreds of scientific publications clearly ending with the phrase "there are not indications who suggest That (example) pregablin or gabapentin or benzos or SSRIs are effective in the treatment of tinnitus". I hope that something can be done. I do not take more Keppra ... but when i hear a sound of a horn on the streets ... my head does not jump in the air ... more...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Viking, I think it's the lack of understanding behind these potassium channel modulators, they are the cures for tinnitus and hyperacusis...I thank you for bringing keppra to my life as it's improved it massively! I just hope others will try it and achieve what we have! We are on to something and now, it's up to brivaracetam to cure us! Autifony will take ages to come out, so this is the next best thing...

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I am grateful to you, thank you, but the credit is not mine. If I have to make a name ... his name is Nicola Rao ... a neurologist "old style" unfortunately "mistreated" simply because it is honest and has tried everything in his career to offer relief to the suffering. An honest person. I try to contain the joy to you just because I'm afraid to give false hope to those who suffer but know that I am immensely happy for you.

A thing:....why Biviracetam is under research (in silence... without much publicity...) and developing... maybe because its economic predecessor gave significant results for other neurological disorders (probably also tinnitus...hyperacusys...severe migraine...etc) of which we haven't news? Who knows ...

Best wishes Danny

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    11. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      in my hands, i have the 3 kings i think
      -Keppra
      -Flexeril
      -Trobalt

i think next week will start with keppra, some weekend wich i dont have to wake up early will try Flexeril to sleep many hours, and Trobalt not for now but maybe in the future will try to combine with Keppra as danny is showing good results

thanks to all "discoverers"

• Like Like x 4
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I think that you could start with the more safety (Keppra) and reach a dosage of 2000mg in 2 weeks. Stay on it 1 month and if you feel that is not much effective you could reduce to 1000 and add the powerful trobalt.
      Always under doctors supervision.
      It is only an opinion
      My best regards

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Among the three drugs you list, I have only tried Flexeril at low doses (with little impact on my tinnitus). And while I have not tried Oxcarbazepine (a.k.a. Trileptal), I suggest adding this to your list of potential medications that could help with tinnitus. There have been several anecdotal reports of substantial volume reduction when using Oxcarbazepine either alone or in combination with Keppra.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Trileptal and Tegretol only help a very small fraction of tinnitus sufferers.
      Tegretol is a very hard drug, worse than Trobalt, it can cause bone marrow problems and liver toxicity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      The problem with this route is that the recommended dose is so high. My neurologist prescribed me 5mg (to be taken once or twice a day), as per normal usage. I believe, however, that the results cited in the papers involve 20mg or even 30mg in order to achieve volume reduction. Many practitioners would be reluctant to prescribe such high doses. And even if they were not, I suspect one would be quite groggy!

-G

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hey guys, Yesterday i've taken one pill of Keppra 500mg, zero side effects, didn't feel noticeable change on T but this morning i woke up very very good, could be just a good morning, just wanted to note that i didnt have any side effect at all,
      nothing to do with Trobalt on wich you feel side effects even with a very little dose of 100mg

18. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Juan Carlos keep us updated bro on the keppra.. I am also thinking of gettinf it if i can for my bad H..

19. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      sure bro, this weekend have events wich i have to drink, so will start on monday with 500/day, from 11 june will have to stop as will be holiday traveling
      seems not harmfull drug at all

20. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @are you taking it for your T or H ??

21. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Both but my H is very little almost unnoticeable, specially after trobalt round

22. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Juan Navarro ohh ok so its getting better.. Thats good man.. I hope i can go down that road too..

• Like Like x 1
    23. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You are from California ... man there must be some hippy doctor willing to write you a paper to get keppra or RTG ... speak to some people if they know a cool doctor.

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Juan Carlos

Sorry but I'm totally confused by some of the posts here by Trobalt users.
      Has Trobalt actually worked for you since you're now trying kepra?

Same for @Danny Boy

25. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Trobalt made an improvement but not a total cure, thats why we are still seeking for it

26. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Fair enough!
      Thank you.

27. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Keppra may have a permanent reduction which is why I'm mixing the two.

28. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Keppra update please!

29. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Can we have an update on kappra please ?

• Genius Genius x 1
    30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What do you want updated on?