Levetiracetam (Keppra) — Another Possible Potassium Channel Modulator?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Viking, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      If I had to choose, I'd say I'd rather have hyperacusis. Why? Because it's easier to cure haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      My T is pretty bad I can hear it while watching TV and I have to wear ear plugs for 12 hours a day at work which makes it even more intense but I have just got used to it and it does not bother me. But that's not to say that I would not like to try and do something to try and carm it down a little, if keppra has any chance of working I will try it.

About the other post is it possible to import keppra from Spain to the UK then without a prescription? Is that what you mean?

3. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      keppra is for H not T man

4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      You can get both trobalt and kerppa in Spain.

5. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      what ever happened to juan carlos? wasnt he on both

6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, guess it worked and he's living it up.

7. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      yeah thats what i was thinking but should atleast came back and let us know if it helped him that much..but he did say he had mild t and h not that bad

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've noticed most people who have either been cured or near cured haven't came back. It's not far as, it doesn't help us understand if it does help or not.

9. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      So would it be easier to get trobalt and keppra from Spain than it would be in the uk?

Will I be able to import it?

10. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes, way easier. And no, you'd need to go there and get it.

11. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      That's a bit of a mission just to get some pills. I will use my charm and nag my gp for some

12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Lol, good luck! Mine said no.

13. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      yes it is possible it happen to me! it went up 50%

did it stay on that level all time

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Im pretty sure he already said he was all better. I think only Trobalt....

15. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think he was also on keppra , for some short period...

16. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      negative, im not of trobalt anymore i experienced a very bad attack from trobalt so i stopped and it wasnt even helping at all i went up to 350 and nothing. stopped keppra because it gave me a permanent spike the 3rd day on it. ive always said that idk why medicines affect me so bad. my T has been worsening so much its crazy. my T just keeps increasing in volume daily now. ever since i turned on my computer and somehow someone left my volume all the way up in blew right in my face..and now my reactive T is so bad it reacts to anything and it reacts all day to the point when i wake up i have a new level of T..also certain sounds make my ear discharge of wax. i contacted a my doc and he said he searched for info and says i have one of the worse cases of reactive T/H hes read about..everyday is a challenge to stay alive it really is..i wish i just had normal t and h..

• Hug Hug x 4
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      There's always Autifony. I'm sorry that neither medication worked for you...But I think they need to be taken early on.

18. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Please clarify what is early on? thanks

19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      ASAP after the noise trauma! There is no fixed time frame. Every T is different but the sooner the better...0-6 months for highest effect.....and so on.
      If u take Trobalt immediately post trauma you will prevent the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks Dan! Saves me time explaining it.

early (or earlier) on
      phrase of early

1. 1.
        at an early (or earlier) stage in a period.
        "they discovered early on that the published data were wrong"

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm sorry to hear you're suffering. I had the same experience once after the noise trauma with wax if I would get a bad noise exposure my ear would stuff up with wax. I always thought that this is a natural way of blocking noise let the body produces its own ear plugs...

22. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      You dont know this! Sorry dan and danny boy but you are both guessing like so much written on these posts in this forum. Autifony are currently doing tests to 18 months and there are people who have used trobalt one year and longer after getting T and have had improvements.....by the way, some people on this forum say that they have had improvements but sadly they are still taking drugs that may have an ongoing effect on their perception of T......one doesnt know until one is completely drug free. There are some who have taken Trobalt as i said a year or more after it started and they dont take other drugs and their T remains low, not gone but low or lower than before. Sadly one doesnt know with this affliction and that is the problem. Also I remember Danny Boy stating that it was better to wait until the T was in the brain before taking Trobalt as it would only work then......so again one doesnt know but that statement about waiting until it is in the brain makes logical sense and I repeat, autifony have a cut off point for their trials at 18 months and they intend for their drug to be used by those who have had it long term and not just for prevention or in the first months. So if the potassium thingies....lol....get opened or whatever it does then surely trobalt works in the same way......and not just in the beginning or first few months before it has entered the brain. Some people take it in the first months and the trobalt has no effect and others take it after a year and it works really well. There is a good reason to be cautious about taking Trobalt as it can have serious side effects as we all know. Anyhow that is it...wishing everyone a good day evening and night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Aut isnt trobalt. There is a study on trobalt in mice that prevented them developing tinnitus after extreme noise trauma. Thats why I said the earlier the better. Also aut and tro dont hit the same potassium thingies at all....

24. Veita
      No Mood

Veita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Headphones
      I have now had tinnitus for a little over 3 months, and I was enrolled in AM-101. Unfortunately my doctor agreed that dexamethasone injections would be a more definite alternative to AM-101 and I declined the trial. I received the injections 1.5 months after onset (although I requested them 4 days after). Unfortunately, the injections made the tinnitus worse, and I currently have a very high pitched reactive tinnitus (14Khz) along with a low pitched hum that appeared after the injections. I do have hyperacusis, and the severity of the symptoms seem to change often.

I read through this post, and I understand that nothing is guaranteed, but do you have any advice, as I feel I am continuously becoming more and more chronic with each passing day. Is there something specific I should be doing in this early time frame?

I have been considering either Trobalt, Keppra or NAC tablets. Currently the doc has put me on a diuretic to ensure it's not Menieres (I got my tinnitus from a blast of noise from my headphones, so I don't understand why he believe it may be Menieres). I have been taking Magnesium tablets (although I'm not sure if they're the right type) before and after any loud experiences.

Also, it truly pleases me to hear that you have found some relief @Danny Boy and @Viking !

25. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      hey! if i were you, i would go with trobalt or trobalt+keppra as its more effective on early stages, the sooner the better. you have a lot of info about it in this website, make your choice

26. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Maybe also try corizoids first ... but if I had the chance to do anything over again I would take Trobalt at early stages.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      For how long to use trobald and keppra to get effects ? In what doses ? Trobald from t and keppra from h ? .doesnt they are ottotoxic ? Thanks

28. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Sorry I stand corrected. Mine is worse than ever......

29. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      just trobalt 400mg in the morning then keppra 500 in the afternoon ?

30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sure.