Levetiracetam (Keppra) Worked for My Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Boy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      yes

My tinnitus is grave now, it worsened 9th time last 10 days are hell and try to survive morning, then afternoon, then evening. I hope u will understand what it was short. started with 500 few days, then rest 1,5 month 1000, and slowed down few days on 500...

have a nice day

btw. during that time tinnitus went up two times

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Danny Boy sorry man it's probably somewhere in the comments but how long did it take for you to notice any difference in your reactive tinnitus? Just finished my first week on Keppra.

3. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used keppra 1000mg but that reactivity came back after stop and i dont know is there connection but i got my tinnitus going up for a level while i was on keppra.

4. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @Christian78 what was the cause of your T? And do you know why it got worse those times? Im sorry to hear that ur T is so loud :(

5. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Ah shit doesn't sound good:/ Your reactive tinnitus got back when you got off Keppra, I'm sorry to hear that. Wondering if I get different results, I'll post them soon. Still not sure if @Danny Boy reactiveness came back?

6. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      May I know what your daily dosage was? Is your reactive tinnitus still gone now you're off Keppra?

7. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know, hearing demagge, stress, i took medicine and woke up with it, it went worse more than 9 times , it lvl go up in last 2,5 years

8. Rafa blues

Rafa blues Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Do u guys reckon Keppra could work on H, even if u have it (with tinnitus ..) for 12 years ? I was in a rock band so I've damaged my ears ..
      What do u think @Danny Boy @Viking ?
      thanks in advance for all your support in this website guys, god bless you..

9. Hyperacusis223

Hyperacusis223 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alarm
      Hi Dan,

I would like to start taking Trobalt for Hyperacusis. Are there any side effects?
      Are you taking any meds? My Hyperacusis started few months ago due to a loud alarm. Help.

10. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Try trobalt, it can function but I tried it and it was a fail for my H, good luck

11. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @Danny Boy Do you plan to stay on Keppra forever? Did you try to get off? How did it go? Most of us are afraid of the addiction and not being able to get off without severe effects. Also, I am new to all this, and many say the H will fade possibly after awhile, so was going to give it some time yet with other modalities first.

12. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Keppra is not an addiction forming drug. It is quite safe.
      You can pretty much get off it very quickly, with a very fast tapering schedule.
      Cold turkey is not advised for "just in case" reasons, as with pretty much any drug.

• Useful Useful x 1
    13. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      It's not ototoxic at all? Why aren't more hyperacusis sufferers on it if its no problem?

The trobalt isn't ototoxic either? Is the trobalt hard to come off?

14. jazzy

jazzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild tinnitus, hyperacusis is the proble
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacidity from Paxil
      Hi, I'm new here, been browsing for 6 months though. Hyperacusis. is my problem, only mild tinnitus.
      The hyperacusis started after taking the antidepressant Paxil/ Aropax, but for me the pain goes through my whole nervous system, even starting from my feet up, but not localized in my ears.
      I have multiple illnesses, my nervous system is extremely overactive. I'm on oxycodone for neuropathy, and it helps the hyperacusis a little, but not much.
      I can only see people a few times a day as the H. is so severe, and can't go out to shops etc.
      It started about 18 months ago, getting rapidly worse over a 2 week period, but I didn't connect it to the Paxil.
      I'm on clomazepam/ Rivotril/ klonopin too. It helps a little but not much.
      Wondering about keppra.
      Typing is very difficult, so I may not be able to answer for hours or longer.
      Thanks so much for listening. J

15. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I have reactive T where I will not hear the details of certain frequencies of sound in music, instead i hear a somewhat louder puretone like sound? On top of constant largely unmaskable tinnitis in one ear. Could keppra help me?

16. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Unlikely. As in the thread title, Keppra seems to help with hyperacusis, not tinnitus - and even that is nowhere near a definitive statement.
      Some people would say that reactive tinnitus is a distant cousin of hyperacusis but that's just semantics.
      Wouldn't hurt to try though. Keppra has its side effects but they're nowhere near as awful as other drugs.

17. Pasternak
      Stressed

Pasternak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      regular use of pain meds for years
      So far, Keppra works like charm for my highly reactive hyperacusis. Actually, it was way more bothering the T itself.

18. lambos

lambos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 5 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Has anyone tried Biviracetam which is similar to keppra but suppose to be very effective for epilepsy?

19. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      What are the dangers of taking Keppra over the long term?

20. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      I would love to know how many people have tried Keppra; how many had success for H, how many did not.

It is a pitty nothing is said about its benefits for hyperacusis, reactivity of T. Even the Tinnitus Talk survey which was really informative does not mention anything of it.

Have a nice evening everyone :)

21. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @Pasternak are you still taking it? If not have the effects wore off or do you still experience a lack of H?

22. Pasternak
      Stressed

Pasternak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      regular use of pain meds for years
      I've used it for a little over a month. My H was pretty much gone by now but I think it was rather natural adaptation as I was still in the acute phase.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use

No it is not. At least with normal Tinnitus I can't say I've experienced it. I can say that when I do more abrupt cardio or fast paced cardio I can hear my heart beat in one ear for a few minutes until it settles down but I can't say it happens when I walk.

24. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know this is an old thread but I was reading about Hyperacusis on a bunch of websites seeing all what they said and I found this:

"Anti-seizure drugs (for example gabapentin, topiramate, levetiracetam) may be effective in persons with hyperacusis due to irritable neural pathways. These may be working on similar circuitry as is helpful for migraine. Generally speaking, seizure medications that work for migraine are also mood stabilizers, so they may also be helpful there."

https://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/hyperacusis.htm

I can't say it is much of any help at this point but I thought I might as well post it.

"
      Chemical name: Levetiracetam

• Proprietary names: Keppra®
      • Data: Two small prospective open-label studies suggested efficacy of levetiracetam in migraine prophylaxis (Brighina et al. 2006; Pakalnis et al. 2007).
      • Class: Anticonvulsant.
      • Mechanism of action: Uncertain. Appears to inhibit burst firing and hypersynchronization of neurons.
      • Pharmacokinetics: Rapid and complete absorption. Half-life 6-8 hrs. Plasma protein binding <10%.
      • Metabolism: Enzymatic hydrolysis, though not extensively. Excreted in urine.
      • Precautions: Caution in patients with renal dysfunction. Avoid abrupt discontinuation.
      • Dosing: Start at 500 mg BID.
      • Advantages: Does not interact significantly with other medications.
      • Adverse effects: Fatigue. A small number of patients experience incoordination or behavioral abnormalities.
      • Comments: We occasionally prescribe levetiracetam in migraine prophylaxis. The data supporting its use are emerging. "

I think this is meant as a temporary relief. And that we have something wrong going on within some circuitry in our brain. However, if that is so, then what exactly caused it?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    25. Codaz

Codaz Member

Anticonsulvants like carbamazepine need a proper up and down taper. Nobody is sure about the right dosis.

26. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If that is said
      Shame :/

But I think it would be worth while looking into for anyone researching hyperacusis since normal pain killers don't work.

27. Codaz

Codaz Member

My neurologist suggested a much higher dosis of carbamazepine than my jaw surgeon. But it both was "warranty until the door". It seems they are guessing what it will do. I refused because I didn't trust their opinion.

28. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But will that have any effect on H or T?

29. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried out Keppra for three months, finishing up a few weeks ago.

The first month, the dose was 1,000 mg a day, half in the morning and half in the evening.

The second month, the dose was 2,000 mg a day, half in the morning and half in the evening.

The last month was tapering down gradually from the 2,000 mg a day to zero.

In my case, it did not help H or T, there was no change at all in either one while I took Keppra. There were no side effects either.

• Informative Informative x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I was up to 4,000 a day. Side-effects- sleepiness and weakness.