Lidocaine Neck Patch Silences Ear Ringing Agony of Tinnitus (DailyMail / March 30, 2019)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by nills, Mar 31, 2019.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...atch-silences-ear-ringing-agony-tinnitus.html

Neck patch silences ear ringing agony of tinnitus

A patch of ‘skin’ worn on the back of the neck could banish annoying ringing in the ears, according to new research.

Experts at the University of West Virginia in the US tested the idea on dozens of men and women suffering from the condition tinnitus, which causes the incessant ringing.

Each wore a patch containing lidocaine – a local anesthetic often used by dentists – on the base of the skull for up to three months, applying a new patch daily. The results, published in the American Journal Of Otolaryngology, showed that most saw a significant reduction in ringing after just a month, with even better results after two and three months.

11663032-0-image-a-3_1553970914750.jpg

US researchers have been testing tinnitus sufferers with patches containing lidocaine - a local anesthetic often used by dentists - on the base of the skull for three months. The user would change the patch on a daily basis

It’s not clear why lidocaine has this impact on ringing in the ears.

But if further studies confirm the benefits, it could be a huge relief for the UK’s five million tinnitus sufferers – some of whom can end up suicidal due to the unremitting, round-the-clock ear noise.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Very bizarre to see that something so simple had such an effect. Hope they will release more info. At least if it works maybe it can open doors to more research in the pathway of relief.

Seems too simple and random to be true :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Over on FaceAche someone has posted an article that's in today's DailyMail on Sunday about a study in the University of West Virginia of Lidocaine patches worn daily on the back of the neck for tinnitus.

Good results apparently.

I always enjoy a trip to the Dentist for a shot as it silences my tinnitus.

Anyone know of this trial?

4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Where is the data that shows lidocaine is absorbed from the patch, thru skin and into the bloodstream? What blood levels are associated with tinnitus reduction? That would be an easy dose response study to do in the sense lidocaine could be administered intravenously in various doses.

The effect of lidocaine is known to be short-lived because its enzymatically changed in the liver and blood. The skin can metabolize substances as well, but not as extensively as the liver.

TC

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Interesting. I saw this tactile earlier also. Would love to see the test results etc..

7. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not having something that works and that can be used as the gold standard must be a real challenge in tinnitus research.

Supposedly lidocaine comes the closest, but even Prof. Rauschecker has referenced old literature, so it may amount to anecdotal support. There's another thread about it and his abstract from a past TRI conference. Perhaps we can ask him about lidocaine at some point. TC.

8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      All good points. There must be some data somewhere that addresses this.

9. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Maybe I read this wrong but isn’t the article referring to potential new studies/tests and not referencing old?

10. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The fact that this manufacturer put lidocaine in a patch suggests there is some science backing it. I believe there is a plausible mechanism for how lidocaine would work, it blocks sodium channels and lows or blocks nerve transmission. The influx of sodium into a nerve cell is the first step in generating an action potential. But the action of lidocaine is non-specific.

OK , time for me to go to church. Later- TC.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Here’s another study of lidocaine patches on tinnitus that had an estimated finishing date of Feb 2019. Here’s an excerpt:

each participant will undergo blood test. the participant's group that start the trial with the lidoderm patch and later will use the tegaderm patch will have 2 blood tests for werum lidocain level test. the group that start the trial with the tegaderm patch and later the lidoderm patch will have only one blood test measuring lidocaine serum level.

the tubes containing the serum will be shipped abroad via an international medical cargo company for lidocaine levels tests.

Ages Eligible for Study:

18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)

Sexes Eligible for Study:

All

Accepts Healthy Volunteers:

No

Criteria

Inclusion Criteria:

• mature (above 18 years old) patients that suffer at least 1 year of tinnitus (unilateral/bilateral
      Exclusion Criteria:

• Intermittent/ fluctuative type of tinnitus
      • patients that are treated for tinnitus( psychological treatment, hearing aid, drugs, sound generator) or were treated in the last month
      • sensitivity to amide anaesthetic
      • known hepatic failure
      • usage of antiarrhythmic drugs of type 1
      • history of seizures
      • pregnancy/ lactating
      • dermatologic problems in the back
      • any patients that develops during the trial local/ systemic symptoms such as rash, pain, itching, fever, nervousness,palpitations will be omitted from the study
      • beck depression score of >21
      • MMSE test <24

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02750969#contacts

I’m not sure if this is the same study as the one mentioned in the news article (posted below) - as the completion date is listed as 2015 - but one of the authors is the same (Rodney Diaz). I haven’t got time to read through in detail to see if it is the same or not, but I’d assume that either it is and it took a while to publish, or another study was done prior to the one mentioned in the news article.

https://www.smartpatients.com/trials/NCT02088866

• Like Like x 1
    12. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Transdermal lidocaine as treatment for chronic subjective tinnitus: A pilot study
      https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjoto.2019.03.009Get rights and content

Abstract
      Objective
      To assess the efficacy of transdermal lidocaine as a treatment for chronic subjective tinnitus as measured by the Tinnitus Functional Index (TFI).

Study design
      Pilot, prospective efficacy trial.

Setting
      Tertiary care hospital.

Patients
      Men and women, over the age of 18 with chronic subjective tinnitus for >6 months.

Intervention
      Daily application of commercially available transdermal lidocaine patch.

Outcome measure
      Change in the TFI.

Results
      The average pre-treatment TFI score was 56.2. After 1 month the average TFI decreased to 41 (p < 0.05). The scores dropped to 34 and 35 after 2 and 3 months of treatment respectively. Despite improvement in symptoms of tinnitus, most patients did not continue the study after the first month, dropping out due to the size, discomfort, and appearance of the lidocaine patch, failure to follow-up and lack of perceived benefit from treatment.

Conclusions
      In this preliminary study, 5% transdermal lidocaine appears to be a potential treatment for chronic subjective tinnitus. The majority of subjects who completed 1 month of treatment had clinically significantly improved tinnitus. These findings are confounded however by the small sample size and significant drop out rate.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196070919301796

13. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There doesn't seem to be a placebo control in the trial. Achieving statistically significant change from baseline is very easy to do when the outcome measured is subjective, like the TFI. People get better when they are being measured, its called the Hawthorne effect.

So, yeah maybe another study is appropriate and maybe not. I'd say this study was inconclusive. The fact that many dropped out for lack of effect is telling.

TC

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Interesting nonetheless.

Wasn't Dr. Josef Rauschecker studying this?

15. M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      Sooo should we all buy lidocaine patches and start slapping them on for 12 hours a day and see if it works? We'd have a greater number of participants than the study lol..

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I had a neck injection within the past year that had lidocaine in it that seemed to knock out my tinnitus for about 2 hours. I thought @Greg Sacramento said that lidocaine was bad for certain body organs?

If a lidocaine patch would work that would be great.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Don't they sell the 4% lidocaine patches in stores now... What makes these patches in the clinical trial different?

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @nills good looks on finding this, I hope all is well with you.

What's interesting is that I had experimented with this, but certainly NEVER for more than, I dunno, a few days in a row -- expecting a more immediate effect. It sounds like it took a month to see the effect in this study. That makes me want to take a crack at doing it for longer. 4% lidocaine transdermal patches are around $1-1.50 a pop over the counter in the US.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lidocaine can impair iron transport and probably do other bad things but I would be surprised if using OTC transdermal patches for a month is toeing the danger line.

20. ChristopherPage

ChristopherPage Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, perhaps noise exposure
    21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Lidocaine is on the ototoxic medications list...

22. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I just read a study where people suffering from muscle pain used these patches continuously for 5+ years with no significant ill effects. It appears to be reasonably safe. I'm heading to CVS today and committing to 2 months worth of these.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I think the prescription patches are typically 5%. Not a significant difference. I thought I was going to have to convince my PCP to prescribe these off label but now I can can just go to the store and buy them. My insurance OTC card even covers it so it's free. I can't believe we finally caught a break.

24. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Where was the lidocaine used? Somewhere on the body = systemic effect or somewhere near the ear/trigger points = local effect?

25. Lisacb

Lisacb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatic tinnitus / head injury
      The article states they were applied to the "base of the skull for up to three months, applying a new patch daily"

26. tac

tac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Lidocaine 4% pain relief cream has been available for a number of years. My husband used it often on the skin pre-IV with great success so I know it can be effectively absorbed, just not very deeply was my understanding. I just rubbed some on the back of my neck/skull. This is an easy one to try out for everyone. An OTC patch or cream should give some indication.

27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Cautionary Note on Lidocaine:

Several years ago I read up on the dangers of lidocaine and other dental anesthetics. It was often mentioned how one shot was equal to a certain number of cigarettes. I just did a quick search, and came up with the following:

Past Dental Anesthetics Linked to Cancer
      August 8, 2012Stephen A. LawrenceHolistic Dentistry, News10 comments

1 Dental Shot = 84,000 cigarettes!

In 1997, after extensive research, reports state that all local anesthetics approved for use in the United States broke down into anilines. [BPNL, 13 (6), Nov. 1997]. This research has been confirmed by animal and human studies, and even confirmed by the FDA itself, in 1993. In tissue studies, the FDA determined that 67% of the Lidocaine (the most commonly used anesthetic during dental and medical treatments) converts into anilines.

Anilines are commonly known as “coal tar derivatives” and have been found to be cancer-causing, dating to the 19th century. Anilines are one of the main carcinogens found in tobacco. In fact, and injection of only 1cc (one shot) of 2% Lidocaine produces a dose of anilines equivalent to smoking 84,000 cigarettes.

In the United States, until the year 2000, the problem in eliminating the use of these local anesthetics had been the lack of a suitable alternative. Now health-conscious doctors and dentists can use an alternative anesthetic, called Septocaine.

Septocaine was developed almost 40 years ago, in Germany, and is not derived from coal tar. Biochemists have done extensive research and found that the chemical formulation of Septocaine does not resemble aniline, nor could it possibly break down into anilines.

For you health-conscious pateints, that want to avoid carcinogens in anesthetics, look for dentists and doctors that avoid Lidocaine and use Septocaine alternatives.

28. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      The patches seem expensive

29. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I've had an ENT inject me around my ear(s), 3 injections per side. No change to my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I doubt these work, however a few days ago I put a small patch on, and my tinnitus was lower the next day. Maybe you just need to find the perfect spot...

Anyone know where in the study it said to put the patches on the neck?