Life with Tinnitus and No Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Angelos'life, May 29, 2017.

1. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      L
      I was completely surprised too because I wasn't antipating any problems and wanted the test. I don't know if it was the booth and the headphones combined but it has made me leery of further tests. Oddly the clicking for the nerve testing didn't seem to cause a spike and I this ought that would (that was a month later during balance testing). So I have to think something with the soundproof environment made it spike.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is shocking. Your experience and my experience seem to imply that those tests are not safe and can cause T!!!

3. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My reaction was still at the drs office and I even mentioned it to the ENT. So not sure why but it is interesting if it has happened to others.

Lynn

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      All you heard during the test were those very quiet tones, right? Your doctor didn't test your tympani muscle, right?

5. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Honestly I don't know. The test just seemed tones and word recognition. I felt odd afterward and then a spike. And that was before the ENT started looking in my ears or testing for bppv. So I don't know if the muscle was tested but I don't think they would have since I hadn't even seen the doctor yet. Unless that is routine.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Just like my test...

This is disturbing on many levels.

Someone with a recent onset of T ought to think twice before seeing an ENT (who requires that you do a hearing test before coming in). If you know your T is not a result of a tumor, there is nothing an ENT is going to do for you (unless you get them to do steroid injections, which most of them are not comfortable doing). Yet as can be seen from my example and from Lynn's example, you can end up with a lot of damage, after seeing those doctors.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angelos'life

Angelos'life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/28/201
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can someone tell me how do I reply to someone I can't seem to figure it out btw bill thanks for the kind words

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are most welcome.

To reply to someone's post you can either click the word "quote" on the bottom right of their post, or you can use your mouse to select the text you would like to reply to, let go of the mouse, and then click the word "quote" that will appear near the text you had selected.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angelos'life

Angelos'life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/28/201
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ok I think I got it thanks

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I do believe you when you say it's the worst for you. But you're a sample of one, which doesn't make much sense when making statistics with a scope of a planet (which was the original point).

I do know (personally) what extreme t/h is. Believe me, I am sympathetic.
      We shouldn't minimize the pain and suffering that T causes, but we should also be cognizant of the opposite bias that makes us tend to minimize the pain and suffering that others are facing out of ignorance of what it actually entails. One way to think of it is to ask yourself if you realized how bad T/H could be before you got it. You didn't know not because you were evil, but because you didn't "live it": you were somewhat ignorant about it (I use the word in a non derogatory meaning).
      We are very knowledgeable about T/H suffering, but ignorant about many other conditions' suffering.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angelos'life

Angelos'life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/28/201
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      We are so screwed left with no options no choices no no way out

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

@Angelos'life , please don't confuse what you read here with professional advice. There is no evidence that driving can make your hearing or Tinnitus worse. I have pretty loud Tinnitus on both years, been to parties, movies, etc. You're still pretty new to this and it may go away. Even if it doesn't, we adapt.

You don't need to wear earplugs everywhere, jut in really loud situations. Theoretically that's what everyone should do. If you're in a place that you need to shout to be heard, it's best to plug your ears.

Try not to freak out, if you need, get some white noise app on your phone and leave it on by your side.

Best,
      Zug

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angelos'life

Angelos'life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/28/201
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bill can you tell me how long you got and how and all the little details in between if possible. But the most important thing is how are you coping with it ?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angelos'life

Angelos'life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/28/201
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bill can you tell me how long you got t and how and all the little details in between if possible. But the most important thing is how are you coping with it ?

15. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Avoid loud places, if you have to go there at least protect your ears. Tinnitus is new for you and all of us feel your pain. Please protect your ears , tinnitus can get louder and no one wants that to happen....

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @light rain Lynn, have they done an acoustic reflex test during your visit to audiologist? What about the loudness discomfort level test?

17. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club

Hi buddy.

I see you're looking for information on how to hope with tinnitus. The best thing you can do is to read success stories:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/success-stories.47/

These people had tinnitus for a while. They learned to cope. Now they live normal fulfilling lives. Those threads might answer some of the questions you have and more importantly - give you some positivity.

I'd go as far as suggesting that you should ONLY read success stories until you feel better.

Take care, you can do this.

18. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      I crearly said that for most of the people it is not the worst. For me it is. You have no idea about how severe it can get. People commit suicide because of it.
      And also the bad stories should be mentioned... Because people think it can't kill, which is true, but it can drive you to suicide. Have you been in that place to?

19. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      @MJv Do you suspect any specific cause for your worsening of that kind?

20. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      @vermillion
      I dont know, the doctors dont know. Nobody knows :(
      And you?

21. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have, unfortunately, and I get there still every once in a while, even though my H has subsided for the most part (but still have severe T 24x7). I'm not sure why you keep thinking that I have no idea about it.

If you want to convince yourself that you've been dealt the worst hand in the world, then go for it, maybe it helps you cope better, but the reality is that there's a ton of shitty conditions out there, whose victims may think exactly like you about T&H because of their lack of knowledge about it.
      What you are complaining about, i.e. other people not knowing how bad it can be (I quote: "people think it can't kill"), is exactly what you are doing with regards to other afflictions, by assuming they aren't as bad as yours.

Remember that acknowledging someone else's suffering does not diminish your own. It's not a zero sum game.

Good luck!

22. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know

23. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I said:
      You said:
      Your sentence, given the context it replies to, expands to "For me it's one of the worst conditions on earth".

And now you say:

I understand what you meant to say now that you've clarified it, but you will grant me that your original wording wasn't expressing the same view.

At any rate, it doesn't matter - yes I get that you have it bad. A few people have it really bad with T&H, and yes most people don't understand how bad it can be.

24. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      For me and some other people it could be the worst that happened to them. That is our daily reality.
      And still for me it's still one of the worst thing on earth.
      I respect everybodies opinion but I think there was miscommunication somehow.
      Goodluck as well !

25. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      dont be stupid...wear musician* ear plugs (custom fitted preferred) when you are in loud situations. whenever in doubt put them on. better safe than sorry. at the same time dont over protect. i was at a bbq over the weekend and was fine but then they put the music up to round the 85 - 90 decibel range. It didnt bother me but i decided eventually to give my ears a break and be a little cautious.

26. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I didn't have a loudness discomfort test - I know they use it for H but it seems like asking for trouble. I don't know the exact name of test for the nerve but it consisted of something being inserted in my ears and a long series of clicks at different speed one ear at a time. The test took forever and it was in a darkened room. I really thought that one would have caused a spike but didnt. I hated that test though.

And I have no copy of test results - the ent is holding on to them like gold. I asked and not only do I have to pay for them but still have to have his permission. Never had that problem before with other drs (first ent I've seen). So sorry for not being more specific.

• Like Like x 1
    27. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The former is not so surprising, but the latter is: as far as I know you are entitled to get a copy of your medical record by law. Maybe things are different in TN, but I'd be surprised.
      I'd stay away from any doctor who isn't transparent with me, or who plays the permission game.

28. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm new to TN so I don't know if it is a weird thing here but I never had a problem before. I was willing to pay ($20 for even one page) and then was informed I needed permission. It makes me uneasy esp since there is an issue and they can tell things by types of waves or pattern of nystygmus. I like the Dr though - he seems sincere. I am going back in a few weeks after MRI so maybe I can get everything then. I hate feeling uninformed.