Loud Tone for a Few Seconds — Fleeting / Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Have You Experienced Fleeting Tinnitus?

1. Yes, even before I got chronic tinnitus

2. Yes, only after I got chronic tinnitus

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      My fleeting tinnitus has probably increased in frequency slightly since getting constant T. I get it about once per month. I've been taking a cocktail of multivitamins, ginger root pill, essential fatty acids and magnesiumfor the last two months. Last night i skipped a day while i fasted. I took none of my usual supplements and that night i got fleeting T for 10 seconds. Then this morning i got it 3-5 times after a few hrs sleep. This is no coincidence so i just resumed my supplements this morning. Although the fleeting T is common that doesn't mean it's not a sign of something awry. Most people report an increased frequency with constant T and it seems unlikely to be a benign correlation. Not taking my supplements definitely caused me to get a half dozen loud fleeting T episodes. They also seem to make my regular T louder for minutes to hours as they fade into each other.

2. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      While lying down in bed on my left side this new tone came outta nowhere at a much louder volume and freaked me out. I bolted up and it quickly faded. This happened twice in the night and scared me enough to destroy any chance of sleep tonight. Has that happened to others? Is this a normal feature? It was sorta like the fleeting T that I'd get before having T but came on much quicker, louder and left faster.

3. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      That is exactly fleeting T, I get it all of the time, sometimes it can be incredibly loud and last a bit longer sometimes too, it always goes away fairly fast though.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus can do them kind of tricks but try not to let them stress you out.
      As long as your ears haven't been around loud sounds or have a cold they should be short lived and go as fast as they came.....lots of love glynis

5. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. Guess my body's still on hyper alert mode. I'll try and chill. Thanks.

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I was sleeping, it's only 5.55 am here. When I turn sides in bed and become aware of being awake for that small moment, a new high-pitched screeching tone appears out of nowhere. In my right ear. Just like that.

First I thought "ok this is just a fleeting tinnitus, I wait 20 seconds and it goes away like always".

But it's now been there for 10 minutes.

I know I've had a few of these episodes before where my fleeting tinnitus got "stuck" for several hours, but eventually went away and my "normal" tinnitus remained.

Still, it's a nasty game waiting for that to happen. Hopefully it does...

7. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anyone ever experienced a sudden high pitched sound that comes randomly and lasts for only a few seconds? Happened to me about three times already. Twice on my right(affected ear). And most recently, my left ear, which isn't affected. Is this normal? Because after hearing it at my left ear, I'm afraid as I don't want my left ear to end up like my right.

8. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @Hariz Nonis

It happens to me every now and then, it only lasts a few seconds and then settles back down.. I don't know why it happens but I don't give it too much importance as they never last more than 5 seconds and only happens like once a month or less... I don't think they can be categorized as spikes...

Besides these small occurrences my T is very consistent and doesn't change loudness nor it spikes... I hope it stays this way forever..

Best of luck!!

9. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lorenzo74 I hope so too that it doesn't become anything worse... Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has anyone ever experienced just the deafness and not the T? I was playing guitar and all of a sudden it felt like sounds were coming from further away in my right ear. gave my heart quite the jump but my hearing went back to normal within a couple seconds. Good thing I'm already scheduled to see my audiologist in 2 days.

11. greenpointer

greenpointer Member

On a handful of occasions I've had these sudden 5 or 10 second moments where my tinnitus becomes way louder, or I hear a loud additional high-pitched sound. This morning I had one when I was just walking down a quiet street.. the other day I had one while eating an apple. I'm happy as hell when they go away, but I'm scared that one of these times it won't. Has anyone else experienced this?

12. Jeffrey F
      Dreaming

Jeffrey F Member

Hi guys my tinnitus currently sits at about a 3.5, which is awful but manageable, however over the past 48 hours it has increased 3 times in my left ear to a 10, incredibly loud, for about 15 seconds each time. Naturally, this is scaring the absolute shit out of me that it will be permanent. Has anyone had any experience with this before? thanks

13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      It's called fleeting tinnitus, nothing to worry about. There are threads on this in the support section if you search.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AdamLengyll

AdamLengyll Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

I've had tinnitus for years, but have been able to deal with it on my own until 1 month ago when it suddenly increased in volume for no apparent reason. That's when I found this forum and it's been a great help to me, thank you all for that.

There is one thing that concerns me the most, and is the biggest roadblock to my (re)habituation. Occasionally, it used to be once a month, now it's at least once a day, I'll get an instant and large increase in the volume of my tinnitus, which will then fade after about 10 seconds back to the normal level. I'd rate my day to day tinnitus at a 4/10, and this brings it up to a 9/10. If anyone plays video games, it sounds just like getting hit by a flash bang, it's really that immediate of an increase, and then goes back down fairly quickly. Nothing seems to trigger it, I can be doing nothing in a quiet environment, or working in a louder one. I do have intermittent ETD, but don't notice any physical differences in the pressure feeling in my ears when it happens.

This is a big stress to me because I can't help but think that whatever is causing these spikes, is slowly increasing the volume of my day to day tinnitus.

Does anyone else experience anything like this? Does anyone have an idea of what the cause of this might be, and if I should truly be afraid of it?

Thank you,

-Adam

15. Dan H

Dan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hi Adam, it sounds like fleeting tinnitus, which I think can happen to anyone. It has been happening to me for a long time even before my tinnitus became persistent. Basically it is completely normal :)

16. AdamLengyll

AdamLengyll Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That term was what I needed, thank you! I'd been searching everywhere, but couldn't find other instances of people having this. Now I see it's more common than I realized.

Thanks again for your help.

-Adam

17. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I also have 'fleeting tinnitus' periods of time where I hear a louder sound above my normal t sound. It usually lasts no more then a minute and I've been getting them at least once a day. Before my tinnitus, I also got this occasionally but it never bothered me. Now it caused a great amount of anxiety due to my tinnitus. I just try to take a deep breath and relax through it and it usually subsides quickly.

18. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I started having that as well, not everyday but 2-3 times only and it lasts ~15 secs. The last time i had this was i was in bed trying to sleep and all of a sudden the hissing loudness increased 2-3 times and it immediately drew my attention. Fortunately i did not panic and it went away soon after. I don't know why it happens. Maybe the brain is still calibrating to compensate the damage in cochlea. It just sucks.

19. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had fleeting T occur to me for the last 10 mins. Never had it this long. Or is this a sudden spike? I don't know because I've never had one. Anyone with advice?

20. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm quoting myself from last September.

And at that time, it did go away after an hour or two.

Give it a little time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. black_halo

black_halo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I have one more question here. Before my T started I had episodes of short T, usually relieved by popping my ears. Then one day I had definitive onset that did not go away until now. Once in a while I experience very annoying changes to my T, some sudden very high pitched sound, sort of soft whistle. No idea how to describe but it's much more annoying that for the rest of the time. Usually goes away after few seconds, let's say from 10 to 20 max.

Honestly, I fear this one day will become permanent and it's really unbearable. I sort of habituated to my current T and I even have days where I barely can hear it, even when especially listening for it. Anything to prevent it?

Edit: thanks for moving my thread. Very reassuring to see I am not the only one and it's not permanent.

22. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just had fleeting T, and like almost any other fleeting T, it lasted for just a few seconds. However, this fleeting sound was of a different pitch from what I normally hear. Is it normal, even for fleeting T? I seriously am hoping there isn't anything more serious.

23. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I have had this happen now two times in the last months. The first happen when I got off the plane which makes sense but today I was just lying in bed and boom! My heart rate up fast! Last maybe less then a minute but omg. I know everyone gets these but dang. Does anyone know what makes it do that?

24. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      everyone is scared from spikes with no reason, but i think this is a healing process. i have these spikes for 1 minute too, not when i am listening to loud music. it happens when i lay in bed and try to sleep, but it went away everytime. i think the brain builds new nerve pathways or something like that..

• Like Like x 1
    25. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Yeah I know it's temporary everytime but it's just so random! Me getting of the plane I kinda expected to get it but me laying in bed.. Ah! It went down to baseline within a minute.

26. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      laying in bed is one thing yes, but when do you visit austria and eat a yummy schnitzel with me here?
      JB4e4cb1_26_RakouskoSchafbergIMGP8486.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    27. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      @Jamie m that happens to me quite a bit. You're very new to the T thing.......I'm eight years in and to me now it's more of a case of "oh yeah...there it goes again" and I guess sometimes it doesn't even register. I won't lie it does 'get to me' occasionally but less and less as time goes by.

28. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @hoper that's so beautiful! @Andunwoody yeah I'm just getting used to all these different tones but it will be okay!

29. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Oddly, I used to get these reasonably often all my life and I mean as long as I remember and they never bothered me in the least - probably once every couple of weeks. However, when I was on levothyroxine which triggered my permanent tinnitus, they stopped, but the permanent tinnitus just got louder and louder. Once I stopped taking it, a few months later they started again.

30. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have fleeting T non stop 24 hours a day. One loud tone, that fades and then another pitch takes over, then maybe some shrill beeping, scratching, sqeaking along with the new tone, and then another one comes in strong and fazes those other sounds out for a few seconds, then something different until that fades and on and on and on. I used to get the fleeting T for like 30 seconds and then back to fairly quiet Tinnitus, I would kill to have that back.

• Hug Hug x 3